Year

Day

Time

07:22:05

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 7 Day 326 10:14
Alex Tylger

Alright, I have a few questions about the new NPCs. I saw Syn mention in another thread that the developers etc don't check this forum that regularly, so I hope someone will direct the appropriate people to this thread.

First some general stuff:
DeMeer mentioned in a thread that NPCs won't be able to operate on their own when the owner/supervisor is far away (I guess builders and sentries are an exception). But what exactly is the point of all these warship pilot/freighter-capital pilot/barge pilot/etc NPCs then? Are they just for show, or do they contribute to a ship's performance (like having warship pilots on the bridge of a cap helps you out)? Or will you need one fighter pilot NPC in each fighter to get a squadron of starfighters to work?

About custom NPCs:
The rules state: Custom NPCs do not get any pre-set class skills. Intead, they receive some Skill Points (SP) that must be assigned in their skills by the players, using the regular skills rules. Custom class 1 NPC get 5 SP, class 2 get 7 SP, and class 3 get 9 SP.

Okay? They don't have pre-set skills? All my custom NPCs have been given pre-selected skills, apparently. There are some minor differences between them, but most appear to have the basic same skills. What's the deal? Is this temporary, or is this something we who owned custom NPCs before the new system came out have to accept? Are new custom NPCs like this too, or just the old?

I am also wondering how the NPCs, especially customs, gain XP? Some of the rules give me the impression that the NPCs' level is just randomly selected upon creation and that it cannot be changed.

Finally, I own a bunch of NPCs (customs among them) from before infofields were made available for NPCs. Some also have names with characters which have since been made unavailable and the name is messed up. Who can I talk to about getting the NPCs properly renamed?

Edit: I also bought a bunch of NPCs just now and they all spawned as Gammoreans, but I guess that is a matter for the bugbase. :P

Thanks in advance!

Edited By: Alex Tylger on Year 7 Day 326 10:25

alex3.png
Year 7 Day 326 12:47
At the moment all of the pilot NPCs do nothing, and NPCs can not gain XP yet. That will eventually change.

New custom NPCs didn't seem to receive skill points either, but that issue may now be addressed by Veynom's last Sim News post.

For the NPC renaming issue you'd need an admin - you can try assistants@swcombine.com

The new NPC hiring system does not allow you to select race. It doesn't appear to be a bug, but there is an open thread in Suggestions for people to rally for the ability to hire and discriminate based on race to be returned.

Edited By: Syn on Year 7 Day 326 12:49

swcforumsig

Year 7 Day 326 13:15
Jaggo Bral

I can assign skills points to my NPC's (Custom and Conversation), but they also got some preset skills.

jbsigfaj5.jpg\"
Year 7 Day 327 11:01
The preset skills come from the race bonus skills.
On top of these, custom NPCs also have some free SPs.

Sim Master Veynom

*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
Year 7 Day 327 11:28
I am not at a location to check,but last time I did keep in mind the true "Custom" NPCs cost 200k to create - those costing around 15-30k are not Customs but NPCs with pre-defined skills.If you chose a pilot class NPC it doesnt make him a custom because he has special skills.Custom NPCs are just that - Customized by you when you pay 200k for them.C&P from the rules section - Static NPC's cost the following which is paid at creation. They incur no further cost:

Tutorial FREE
Conversation 50,000 Credits
Custom 200,000 Credits

By the sound of it you have been purchasing different forms of conversational NPCs and not the true Custom.The cost of the conversational vary between 7500 and 26,000 according to the rules section.

As for their abilities I think pretty much everyone knew those wont come into play 100% until other features such as combat,R&D,etc. are released.Droids add onto skills of a PC directly as long as they are working with them,yet that function also hasnt been released as of yet.

As for the Gammorian issue - there is a thread on the message center concerning that very subject as a good majority of "random" spawnings are producing Gammorians for many players.

It isn't who you are,but what you do,that defines you.

People have called me a Beast,and yet all Beasts know some degree of pity.I know none,so therefore,I am no Beast.
Year 7 Day 327 14:07
If you are responding to Tylger, he does know the difference between Custom and Conversational NPCs -- and I already mentioned the Suggestions thread. ^_^

swcforumsig

Year 7 Day 327 14:55
Yes I was Syn thank you,what caught my attention and made me think he may have been buying convo's instead was his comment >
Okay? They don't have pre-set skills? All my custom NPCs have been given pre-selected skills, apparently. There are some minor differences between them, but most appear to have the basic same skills.  
.When reading that someone would tend to think that after a problem with one or at most 2 Custom NPCs that just cost them several hundreds of thousands of credits,they would not buy more to keep experiancing the same problem.There is a big differance between a 20k NPC and one for 200K and I at the very least would have stopped at the first purchase to ask questions.Considering he mentioned they had pre-set skills,I had thought at first they were conversational or military models.

It isn't who you are,but what you do,that defines you.

People have called me a Beast,and yet all Beasts know some degree of pity.I know none,so therefore,I am no Beast.
Year 7 Day 327 19:12
Alex Tylger

'lo

Sorry if I was unclear earlier. All my issues with the custom NPCs come from 200k custom NPCs I purchased before the release of the new hiring system. I've bought no new ones since the new system came out. What I noticed in these was that they had some skills already (which Veynom explained that all custom NPCs do).

But then again, my custom NPCs have no skill points beyond that which are available to freely distribute, which the rules state that they should/will have. Doesn't really matter much as I've heard of others with the same problems and it's been bugbased, so the admins will eventually get on it.

As for the Gammoreans etc, yeah, I've been to the other thread and responded. Overall I can't say I agree with how this new system works. As a slightly racist Hapan character who only employs female Hapans on his ships, I doubt he would go to his private training academy on Lorell and for some reason just hire 28 Gammorean security officers. (Most employers I've met IRL also interview their potential new employees before actually hiring them too). I'd very much like to either get these NPCs turned in to Hapans OR have them deleted and get my money back because in their present state I want nothing to do with them. :P Considering that the rules (as far as I can tell) mention nothing of the fact you can no longer select race, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that this is fixed.

alex3.png
Year 7 Day 330 0:20
Roaking Fs

Alex, why don't you put those Gamorreans up for sale in the Commerce section? I'm sure somebody would buy them.

My Custom NPCs don't have any skill points either. I'm just waiting for those points, because I figure they'll have them in the future.

I do have one question though: When I assigned new skills to some of my NPCs (not the Custom ones but builders) their HP base went up. It has been days, and they have not healed to their new max HP yet. How can they heal?