Year

Day

Time

02:21:48

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 8 Day 126 17:40
Connor Obrian

So I've been readng the GNS post recently, and I was confused by something. Being very new maybe I'm just a tard for asking this: how can factions wage war against each other if there is no current combate system? Maybe I'm just confused.

Year 8 Day 126 19:36
Brawn Quixote

Wars of words, of wills. Lies, cheating, refusing to trade. Arresting and executing members of enemy factions etc... These are the most popular methods. There is some truth to the GNS posts, but often stories are ...dramatized.

Year 8 Day 126 20:12
Wars of words, of wills. Lies, cheating, refusing to trade. Arresting and executing members of enemy factions etc... These are the most popular methods. 

Actually, the most popular method is for them to try to build more flats than anyone else on a planet, and then post a GNS about the fighting in the streets... Typically this is supported by A/E by the leaders to slow the other group down, but it's not simply A/E for the sake of it, and it's largely unskilled attempts, because how hard is it to go to someone else's city and catch them in the middle of building something? It's all luck - no skill involved.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 126 20:50
Brawn Quixote

Actually, the most popular method is for them to try to build more flats than anyone else on a planet, and then post a GNS about the fighting in the streets... Typically this is supported by A/E by the leaders to slow the other group down... 

I see. This makes me wonder about how it is used (A/E). I thought that the purpose behind A/E was to give factions a way to respond to acts of espionage and such. Your description of the use of this feature (admittedly a limited use of the feature) makes me think back to the recent debate over the update to the spying rules.

Tell me Hal, do you think that using A/E to slow each other down is in keeping with the intented use of the A/E feature? I'm not trying to start a debate, just curious.

Year 8 Day 126 22:30
Brawn, they simply arrest any member of the opposing faction (and NPCs of such) that they catch building on a world under their control. It's like someone arresting a known terrorist in the process of building a bomb to blow something up. By taking NPCs away from building (and better yet, arrest the PCs starting the construction) you slow down the efforts of the group trying to take control away from you, giving you the edge in the building war.

It allows the group that controls a planet (in the case of governments) to arrest hostile elements in their territory. So yes, that's exactly the intended use of the A/E feature.

Of course it takes no skill to happen across someone who is just starting construction, as opposed to the manner in which Teniel Djo uses it by convincing people to board her ships, or how it was used by Oilios recently to trick someone into unboarding their ship so they could be arrested. It's like, while the police would be happy to stumble across the person at the top of their most wanted list in front of their favourite doughnut store, it would hardly be a victory for detective work.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 127 4:48
Brawn Quixote

...they simply arrest any member of the opposing faction (and NPCs of such) that they catch building on a world under their control. 

That makes it a bit clearer. I can see how the recent decision was reached now.

Year 8 Day 127 5:48
Connor Obrian

Thanks for all the info guys, I get how war is being waged now. I cant wait for the combat system, think there will be an all out war once it comes out?

Year 8 Day 127 8:19
Brawn Quixote

I don't know. The only thing I can say for certain Connor, is that whatever happens will be interesting to watch.