Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Question about skill points
Page 1 2
Year 8 Day 257 5:09
Baal Zebub

Hello, I am brand new to this game.

I am trying to decide the value of skill points vs. hit point modifiers, force%, etc., so I can pick the race that would best suit my needs. I am finding it a little difficult to make an educated decision because I cannot find a page stating how often you earn additional points. The guide/rules seem a bit convoluted.

I know you start with 10 points to allocate. How many more do you get when you level up? Or do you have to use the skill?

What are the typical levels of people who play regularly.. who have been on 1 month? 1 year?

Thanks,

Baal

Year 8 Day 257 5:16
Lesley Aspey

The system is quite simple, you earn hit points and gain a skill point every time you gain a level.

The amount of time it takes to gain a level is unique to an individual. It all depends on how you play; if you stay on IRC indefinitely you will stay at level 1. If you just fly around and don't do faction jobs you may advance quite quickly but then you probably wont be able to buy stuff like ships or weapons etc.

The decision is all yours although as the rules say, if you want a particular skill at a high level, get it at generation as you may not be able to get it there later (you can it just takes a long time).

Year 8 Day 257 5:25
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

One skill point per level, and if you make level 10 in a year then you're doing pretty good.

Staff consensus that avatar was inappropriately suggestive. (retards)
Year 8 Day 257 5:53
Baal Zebub

1 extra point per level, and 10 points in a year. Thanks. I am going to have to reconsider things.

About the skills/attributes that are not being used. Has it been that way a long time? or have those skills been created recently? Example: Star fighter Space Combat.

I would like to avoid wasting points (or a race choice) on skills that will not be used.

Thanks again,

Baal

Year 8 Day 257 9:03
Lesley Aspey

The game is currently a 'work in progress' which means that at some point in the future new features will be implemented which will impact on existing characters. To that extent it can be almost impossible to have a character that is good at something not implemented yet as we dont know what the other requirements will be.

My suggestion is to create a character now that you would feel comfortable with, if only for a few months, and in a few months after you have gotten a feel for the game you can have your character arrested or fly into a sun / blackhole (preferably in your own ship) and then recreate in a way which you find much more suitable to your needs.

Year 8 Day 257 9:41
Baal Zebub

I understand, just didnt know if we could expect the rest of the skills to be completed in short order.

I have 2 occupations in mind, 3 races.

Does the force work as stated in the rules?

Thanks again,

Baal

Year 8 Day 257 9:47
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Most of the force rules are not implemented, and can be considered outdated. Force sensitivity does work as stated, though. Certain skill bonuses are also implemented, force testing is implemented.

Year 8 Day 257 11:12
Ralgarrch

The chance to become force sensitive works as stated. Force testing, training and skill bonuses based on facets after your force aware are currently coded but will be changed when the new rules are implemented. Basically every other aspect of those rules will be different to how that rules page currently states.

Edited By: Ralgarrch on Year 8 Day 257 11:13

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 257 11:33
Baal Zebub

I have made my decisions concerning character generation. Now I need to figure out what faction I should apply to.. and the fastest way to build my experience and wealth.

First I will need sleep though.. lol

Thanks again to everyone for all your help,

Baal

*wonders what is more profitable, mining, recycling, or trading*

Any job ideas for a power hungry Falleen?

Diplomacy 4
Trading 4
Leadership 2
Stealth 1
Computer Operation 3
Vehicle-Barge piloting 2
Speeder Piloting 3
Starfighter-Freighter Piloting 4

Year 8 Day 257 11:56
Ralgarrch

It doesn't really matter what type of faction is profitable for you as a member as most publicly state what they pay, which is the relevant factor. Though I advise choosing a faction based on what you want to do and trying to find a culture you enjoy instead of focusing on credits. The games more about playing with people you like then playing the game itself.

Mainly just check the faction sites and job's available pages as no ones allowed to recruit for their own faction in any other forum.

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 257 12:24
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Yeah, find a group of people you can relate to and don't focus on the gains.

Year 8 Day 257 17:52
Baal Zebub

Are players allowed to make comparisons or speak of personal experience with a faction in the forum?

Specifically - CCBST, Falleen Federation, and Mandalore/Mandalcorp.

Looks like I could qualify as a planetary surveyor, pilot, or mining engineer for starters.

Without starting a faction flame war, can anyone tell me what the ups and downs are of one or more of the above factions and those professions? Falleen Federation would seem to fit my race, and they claim to offer the most credits per month. CCBST and Mandalore appeared to have the most active threads in the forum.

I will be an active player. Sorry for posting so much OOC, trying to get off to a good start.

*IMPORTANT* Also, if I log on from work to check the forums (BUT NEVER PLAY) and somoene else has played from one of the networked PCs is that going to get me banned?

Thanks,
Baal

Year 8 Day 257 21:01
This forum may not be used for recruiting or for IC info acquisition. You will need to ask around personally or simply use faction advertisements in the RPG Centre and on the Classifieds as points of comparison.

As for your last point, sharing a connection with another user without registering as multis in advance can get you banned, yes. However, if you do not know anyone at your work, you can safely assume that nobody there also has an account - bear in mind that we only have ~3,000 active accounts at any given time. While people express such concerns often, nothing like that has ever happened, where someone was banned for sharing a connection with another user without being aware of it. Should it ever happen, it is easy enough to look into and determine whether or not it truly was unintentional.

swcforumsig

Year 8 Day 257 21:29
Guest/Visitor

thanks,

I've sent emails to the three corporations. Hopefully I will hear something from them soon.

Baal

Year 8 Day 357 20:04
Xortyph LoKebo

What is CCBST?

Only the dead know the end of war.
Year 8 Day 357 20:18
It is now known as Cloud city (CC), but the BST use to stand for something else.

Archduke Skye Sarn, Lord Duke of Dunthril, 2nd of House Tanthar

V_logo.jpg

Year 8 Day 357 20:45
Xortyph LoKebo

Thank you Mr. Sarn. What did BST stand for, pray tell.

Year 8 Day 357 21:45
It stood for Blue Sabre Transportation - Uther Von Kaldreon's personal faction before he merged it with Cloud City for the Empire.

Don't post in 100 day old threads.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 357 23:39
Xortyph LoKebo

Thank you Mr. Breden. I thought I could post to any thread that wasn't locked though.

Year 8 Day 357 23:47
Xortyph LoKebo

From now on, I will look more carefully at the "Open" date before I post. Thanx again.

Page 1 2