Day

Time

04:27:23

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Page 1 2
Year 8 Day 337 16:29
Hawky Nester

Do characters and their NPCs share sight or *sensors* when they are in a party?Just like friendly ships share sensor power in space?

If yes then can it be done by all types of NPCs even if they have a perception of zero?

Year 8 Day 338 3:43
Cesodevo Avina

While it *should* be so, it actually isn't.

At least last time I checked, it wasn't so. And I last checked 2 days ago.

Time to go to war with the Flame Tigers!
Year 8 Day 338 5:06
Ralgarrch

At the moment they can't, it's possible that they will in the future if they have a communication item however.

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 338 5:43
Hawky Nester

Hm.Why cant Military NPCs at least have shared sensors?Scouts for example, i dont think they need some communication items, as they are supposed to see farther that everybody else.That could be their special function - to see without communication items.

Year 8 Day 338 7:35
Rav Isaar

I think because that would be truly beneifical with combat, which dosen't exist atm.

Edited By: Rav Isaar on Year 8 Day 338 7:36
Year 8 Day 338 13:21
Ralgarrch

You don't see with communciation items, you share what you see with others. People don't magically know what someone else is seeing unless they get told.

Ral.png
Year 8 Day 338 13:54
Cesodevo Avina

Same applies for ships, doesn't it?

Year 8 Day 338 14:03
No. Ships are electronic devices. Information from electronic devices can be accessed remotely, if you have the appropriate access - hence how we can log into the SWC server, and pass information to and from it.

On the other hand, I don't know what my best friend can see from where he's standing unless I get out my cell phone, call him, and ask him.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 338 14:03
Yes, but it's assumed that all ships have a communication device.

Year 8 Day 338 20:05
Rav Isaar

Unless it's a piece O' shit then im sure it has some communication device.

Year 8 Day 338 21:52
"...On the other hand, I don't know what my best friend can see from where he's standing unless I get out my cell phone, call him, and ask him."

- Hal Breden

Except for Jedi, but that's a different forum.

Edited By: Dane Orestes on Year 8 Day 338 23:18

\"When one is at harmony with the universe, one acts as one must to maintain harmony.\"
-- \"The Force\" Chapter Six,
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game,
First Edition

tfin.jpg\"
Year 8 Day 339 2:08
Cesodevo Avina

Unless it's a piece O' shit then im sure it has some communication device. 

Well said. But apparently, even things that are not supposed to have communication devices, such as spacetrooper armor (surely, if space trooper armor has communication armor, then ground trooper armor should have the same), have them.

And, if you are already tearing dimensions between IC and OOC, how do you know what your fellow Air Force pilot, that is 100 miles away from you, has in his scanners without him telling you? If he gets gunned down, you'll just know that he got gunned down, but not exactly by what - unless he gives out hints through voice before he gets smacked.

Back to SW universe, during the BoE, the fighters that protected the cruisers had no idea what the fighters inside the deathstar were doing. The cruisers did to a point, but the fighters didn't.

There was something else I wanted to say, but I forgot it right now, so I'll wait until someone else answers. I don't mind a good discussion (especially not with my main discussion partner Hal) :P

Year 8 Day 339 2:12
Deleted Post
Cesodevo Avina
Deleted by Cesodevo Avina. Reason: double post...connection's a pain right now.
Year 8 Day 339 2:39
Technology that is advanced enough to be capable of hyperspace travel (not to mention achieving orbit without large booster rockets) is obviously more advanced than our own, and therefore could easily offer more options for communication than our own.

However, humans (and the other various alien species) are biological in nature, and their communication devices do not tend to be upgraded as science advances.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 8 Day 339 4:05
Cesodevo Avina

True.

Granted, humans usually have the low end of the stick when it comes to natural abilities. But Kel-Dors for example are able to communicate through each other over large distances without any devices at all. I currently don't know that's excluded only to force-sensitive Kel-Dors, but it's possible.
Comm devices are also intergrated into armor, be it at the arm or in the helmet. So yes, as science advances, other things are possible, such as not needing external communication devices when using armor. And the combine has armor that includes these things.

However, the topic is not about communication devices, it's about sensors.

So let's make a comparison, under the assumption that the below is all in the same faction.

PC ship and PC ship = Share sensors

PC ground and PC ground = Share sensors

PC ship and NPC ship = Share sensors

PC ground and NPC ground = Do not share sensors

So from this we see that somewhere, something is wrong. PC to PC ship and PC to PC ground, it is, upon looking at this, automatically assumed that both have ways to communicate with each other. PCs in space use what they have in space, and PCs on ground use what they have on ground.
Now, PC ship to NPC ship also share sensors, which could indicate that there is still a NPC in that same ship you can communicate with.
So, PC ground to NPC ground should, in the same light as PC ground to PC ground, also be able to share sensors, just like PC ship to NPC ship does in the light of PC ship to PC ship does.
If PC ground to NPC ground is not able to share sensors, then PC ship to NPC ship should not be able to share sensors either.

Year 8 Day 339 10:15
Cam Antilles

Well said. But apparently, even things that are not supposed to have communication devices, such as spacetrooper armor (surely, if space trooper armor has communication armor, then ground trooper armor should have the same), have them.

Some armor would have a comlink built into it, and at a future date I would say that those types of armor share sensors as long as the other person has a comlink or comlink like item. I will agree that in the future, to see vehicle or ship sensors, one will have to have a comlink like item as well.

*goes off to add this to the list*

swcsig.jpg\"
\"Somewhere, there\'s a bullet with your name on it. The trick is to die of age before it finds you\"
Year 8 Day 339 12:39
PC ship and NPC ship = Share sensors 

Except that for a ship to be a NPC ship, it has to be at your location, and of the same type. Only the highest sensor value is going to count, so I don't see how sharing those sensors helps at all.

The problem with sharing perception within a party is that arrested characters also join your party, and they're not going to tell you what they see that you might have missed.

Year 8 Day 339 12:51
Cesodevo Avina

NPC ships can be disbanded party-wise, and then they become unmanned ships. And if I understood the rules right, even an unmanned ship projects sensors that everyone in the faction can see and take advantage of.

As for parties...makes sense that prisoners don't say a thing. Who blames them. But if they are in your party, then you see everything they see anyway as both you and your prisoner are on the same grid or in the same room (unless of course you forgot to add them to an entity's crewlist).

Year 8 Day 339 13:12
Hawky Nester

If standing in one room or on the same grid you surely can communicate without special devices,this means about being in a party.

Year 8 Day 340 11:49
Unmanned ships do not share sensors, no. Satellites and stations are the only things that share sensors when unmanned, in my experience.

Year 8 Day 340 16:38
Cesodevo Avina

Ah.

Well then. Everything is currently as it should be. As long as there is a balance. So PC ships do not share sensors with unmanned ships, and PC on ground does not share sensors with unsupervised (meaning, not in party) NPCs.

It's all good.

Page 1 2