192 are online

Year

Day

Time

04:58:17

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Login issues (similar and different to others)
Hi,

I can't log in with any browser on my Mac (including Firefox, and even when I clear caches).

I *can* log in another way: I run a Windows emulator, and in windows (XP) I use IE, and can log in every time, no problem.

However, after maybe a minute of "inactivity" (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) -- e.g. if I'm writing a post, or reading a thread of posts -- the system logs me out. I can re-login no problem, but needless to say, it's very annoying to be repeatedly booted back to the login page. Have managed a workaround: keep two windows open -- one for using, the other to occasionally re-login (so if I'm writing a post, for instance, like this one, I write the post in one window, then, when it's finished, switch to the other window, re-login, and quickly switch back to the first window to send the post). Again, annoying as hell. Please help!

Note: haven't tried downloading the Windows version of Firefox and using that yet. Tempted to try it, though!

(Though getting *any* browser to work in OSX would be preferable!)

Thanks,
Mahajam Atman

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
Phryss

Try the steps listed in Problem: I can't log into SWC! at the top of the forum. If that doesn't work, you might email Khan (khan@swc) and point him to this thread.

I dare you to make less sense.

rotate.php\"
Are you a newbie, or do you have access to newbies?
Hmm, ok, I'm dumb, stubborn, and I lose. Should've just knuckled down and downloaded+tried Firefox from the get-go. Seems to be working much better.

Though this is still *only* the PC version in my emulated Windows environment. I've tried all the other steps with Safari, Firefox, and Opera in the OSX environment with no luck at all. Will try pointing Khan to my question.

Thanks!

-Mahajam Atman

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
I've added you to the debug list Mahajam. Try and login a few times from your OSX environment and we'll see what debug comes up. In the mean time make sure that the settings for Firefox in OSX is the same as under your Windows environment.

Kids these days!
I've only received one piece of debug information from you so far Mahajam, but it was just for a successful login. Has it logged you out yet since I posted?

Kids these days!
I think I've figured out at least part of the problem.

I used Firefox in the PC environment on my Mac laptop at home all weekend, no problem whatsoever.

Just now, Monday morning (here in Ireland, natch), here in work... it wasn't connecting at all! Same problem as all the browsers in OSX, just immediately refreshing the login page with the "timed out" message. Aargh! However... I first had to reconfigure Firefox to work here (at work) in the first place! I work at a university, and with their network/firewall setup, we use a proxy PAC file to access the web. Since Firefox worked flawlessly at home all weekend and not at all here in work, this *has* to be the problem. I'm wondering if it's causing the problem in OSX as well. Next time I have my laptop at home (maybe Wednesday night), I'll try all my OSX browsers to see if I can get them to work there.
In the meantime, have to just stick with my two-window IE trick.

-Mahajam Atman

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
In the meantime, I just now tried logging in 3 time in each of Safari, Firefox, and Opera in OSX (ie.e. 9 total), so hopefully you should get reports of all those, plus the couple of times I tried in Firefox in Windows just before I put my last post up a few minutes ago.

-Mahajam Atman

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
Yup, I got a pile of debug from you. I've had to turn off one of our security checks for you since it doesn't look like we'll be able to detect it properly for you everywhere you login. So you should be able to login without issue now.

Kids these days!
Well, you've probably gotten another pile of debug from me -- still having the same problems (exactly the same problems with all browsers as before). Thanks for trying, though!

-Mahajam

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
hmm, that's odd. The security check I turned off is usually the cause of the problems you're having. Could you try and clear your browser cache and cookies please?

Kids these days!
Bloody hell! Did that, and all my OSX browsers are working fine now! I would *swear* to you on all that's holy that I did that before I tried each browser last time (after you first turned off the security check). Maybe I didn't, or maybe I only did the caches (or only the cookies). I dunno. In any event, thanks very much for all your time and effort.

Oh, on another note, a couple of days ago I finally realised the install of Windows XP that I have on here only had IE 6. I upgraded to 7 and after that didn't have *any* of the problems I'd been having with being auto-logged out after only very brief periods of inactivity (30-60 seconds or something like that), so happy days on that front as well.

Thanks again!

Stark Collective

Visit our forum

Visit our website
No worries, glad to be of assistance.

Kids these days!