Year

Day

Time

07:30:47

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Hostile Terrain and Ships/Vehicles
Will hostile terrain affect you only if you exit from your ship/vehicle and go outside, or will it also affect you when you go from 1 ship to another in orbit or from your ship straight into a facility?

Another way of asking this is:

Will there be an assumed air lock or docking of some kind when you go from ship to ship in space or from ship/vehicle directly into a facility?

Or will we have to suit up in a vacuum suit every time we go from ship to ship, or put on a breathing mask every time we go from ship/vehicle directly into a facility on a planet with a toxic atmosphere?

Also, will being outside in a hostile terrain immediately kill you, or will it drain your health at a slower rate?

Also, will there be a decrease in new character creation time or an option to respawn seeing as the danger of the game will be dramatically increased?

Thanks.

Edited By: Cyrus Rydic on Year 8 Day 352 16:12

Cyrus Rydic
Centarra Manufacturing
Cesodevo Avina

You won't lose HP from boarding a entity directly from a different entity.

It will drain your HP, not instantly kill you. You don't die directly either when you go play in the snow.

And no, no respawn time decrease will occur, since there is no dramatic increase in danger. It's a matter of logic. Don't try to across lava if you don't want to get yourself killed. Just like you don't fly into a sun if you don't want to get yourself killed.

The above are my own opinions and statements, and since I am not an Admin or anyone in that area, this may not be entirely correct.

Time to go to war with the Flame Tigers!
Year 8 Day 352 17:30
Deleted Post
Cesodevo Avina
Deleted by Cesodevo Avina. Reason: double post...pfft.
Phase I: Release Rules for Hostile Terrain Effects.

- Sim News

Clearly the announcement states that the rules will be released FIRST. Why don't you WAIT until those rules are released, and then READ them, instead of asking questions to which the answers are NOT YET AVAILABLE?

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
And no, no respawn time decrease will occur, since there is no dramatic increase in danger. It's a matter of logic. Don't try to across lava if you don't want to get yourself killed. Just like you don't fly into a sun if you don't want to get yourself killed.

- Cesodevo Avina

How can you say that there is no dramatic increase in danger when this update will increase areas of danger by mostly likely 50% or more? It seems like about half of the planets have a toxic atmosphere, and a lot of planets have some glacier terrain.

Plus, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know not to fly into the sun or land on lava. However, no one has any need to go near either of those areas, whereas characters will be going into these dangerous areas constantly. It would be a lot easier to forget to look to see if a planet has a toxic atmosphere. Also, what would happen if someone decides to kick you out of a facility, ship or vehicle? You don't have much control over that, whereas no one can kick you out onto a sun or lava without killing themselves in the process.

I hope you are right about your other opinions.

Clearly the announcement states that the rules will be released FIRST. Why don't you WAIT until those rules are released, and then READ them, instead of asking questions to which the answers are NOT YET AVAILABLE?

- Hal Breden

My reasons are two-fold:

1. I'd like to know if everything in SWC will come to a grinding hault due to players being trapped in buildings, ships, or vehicles due to the outside environment. I'd also like to know if I should run out and buy survival equipment like crazy in order to survive an average SWC day, or if I just need to buy them if I plan on going outside without a ship or vehicle.

2. I'm also asking in order to have those concerns out there for the admin to see. Considering the stun cuff problem, I am a little more wary in the area of being prepared for updates. They didn't seem to give us a whole lot of warning with the stun cuffs and how they would dramatically alter an entire feature in SWC, and I'm afraid of bad consequences when this update is implemented.

I know they DID warn us, but a warning of such a major change just 13 days before it is implemented seemed too short considering how much demand would increase and the fact that only one faction can make them. If you figure in production time, the back up due to the spike in demand, and delivery/pick up time, 13 days was too short of a notice. I just don't want to be caught with my vacuum suit...er...pants down.

Edited By: Cyrus Rydic on Year 8 Day 354 15:36

Cyrus Rydic
Centarra Manufacturing
1. Stun Cuffs don't dramatically alter a feature in SWC. They just add a requirement for it.
2. Yes, it's okay to express concern but it has been said that your questions will be answered. Also, please keep in mind that this is a free game and these people are volunteers who do this in their spare time. So please be considerate to them when doing so.

(Also, they can kick you out into lava since I doubt lava will damage ships, at least with the first release of the feature.)

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were special, and more important than the rest of us!

Obviously the Admin will immediately begin updating the release schedule so that information and features are available when you want them!

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were special, and more important than the rest of us!

Obviously the Admin will immediately begin updating the release schedule so that information and features are available when you want them!

- Hal Breden

My, you like to flame a lot. Why are you so angry? I'm just asking a simple question.

Edited By: Cyrus Rydic on Year 8 Day 354 15:33

Cyrus Rydic
Centarra Manufacturing
Yes, it's okay to express concern but it has been said that your questions will be answered. Also, please keep in mind that this is a free game and these people are volunteers who do this in their spare time. So please be considerate to them when doing so.

- Arklari Clise

I think the Admin does a good job, and I'm not trying to be inconsiderate in any way.

My main point in that section of my post is that I feel we should have had a few months to prepare instead of 2 weeks...especially considering supply constraint of only one faction being able to produce the cuffs and the time constraints of the game.

Edited By: Cyrus Rydic on Year 8 Day 354 15:50

Cyrus Rydic
Centarra Manufacturing
Well, obviously the polite and informative nature of the Sim News announcement didn't get through to you, so I decided to try a different approach. And while from that, we've managed to establish that you do understand the language, you're still not comprehending what is written.

The rules have not been released yet. If they had, then you could be referenced to read them, and then IF you still have questions, you would be perfectly valid in starting a thread to ask them. IF you wanted to ask for there to be a greater delay between the announcement and the release (even though there is no established timetable for that release) then that would also be appropriate. Probably futile - and once again implying that your needs and desires are more important than the developer's desired schedule - but at least an appropriate question.

The only person who can answer your questions about the rules is the person coding them. If he takes his time out to spend it all answering your questions, the questions of others who also think that asking them before the rules are released is a smart idea, the questions of everyone who decides to ask questions based on his responses to your questions, etc... guess what? He no longer has time to code the feature he just spent all that time answering questions about.

Repeat ad infinitum for everything that might be done in SWC.

You wanted warning, you got an announcement on the Sim News of the next feature to be worked on, and then a probable idea for the one after that. What I would really advise, at this point, is that you buy every conceivable item that you might want while in SWC, taking an educated guess at probable future rules. That's what most of the smart people did several months ago, and why all of my faction has breathing masks available to them. You have HAD time to prepare. The fact that you have not chosen to use it is not the fault of the Admin.

Hal Brenden – The quintessence of subtlety ... oh and grace, definitely grace.

Edited By: Zao Nephalem on Year 8 Day 354 21:29

jesbDYa.jpg

Fights like Hurricane, Killing, Ecstasy, Insane.
That means a lot, Zao... coming from someone who can't spell my name right.

Now see? Doesn't a calm and collected answer look so much better than flaming?

Anyway, it seems that this is a two-person conversation for the most part, and I don't forsee getting an answer anytime soon. That being said, I give up.

I hope I've made your day, Hal. :)

(By the way, you should ask your doctor about benzodiazepines. They work wonders.)

Edited By: Cyrus Rydic on Year 8 Day 354 23:18

Cyrus Rydic
Centarra Manufacturing
You did get an answer, the only possible one. It's your fault for expecting a different answer when it's not available.

mystats.php?uid=c1
I'm disturbed that you think my last reply was any more civil than my previous two, and that you really think I was going out of my way to flame you.

The simple fact, though, is that I gave the exact same answer in my first post and my last one. The only difference was that the first post was expecting you to take the hint that you weren't going to get detailed responses before the rules were released, and the last one took far longer to say that than was really necessary.

I'll make a note that it's necessary to spell everything out in detail for you, in the future.