Year

Day

Time

05:52:37

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 9 Day 30 6:48
Veep Randoo

Hi, I'm totally new to the Combine, haven't even got a starting location yet (waiting to hear back from a faction).

I'm sure I'm gonna have lots of questions but my first one is this - Where do you guys get all your cool character pictures? Are there artists who will create a picture for a character for a trade, and if so, how much?

There aren't many cool Rodian pictures online and anyway, I don't want to breach copyright or anything, but it would be nice to have something a bit different to the current stock image I have.

Cheers

Veep

Year 9 Day 30 7:27
There an Art forum on the Message Centre in <--- that direction.
And a number of artists advertise their work in an IC manner in the Commerce forum on the RPG Centre, also in <--- that direction (but not as far).

In addition to that, a lot of people made their own. Don't worry too much about copyright for movie images - you should be fine using any image you find that you like - but it's considered very impolite to use an artist's work without permission.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 9 Day 30 10:39
Veep Randoo

Thanks Hal. I'll take a look.

Year 9 Day 30 10:49
Veep Randoo

Okay, next question. Once I've found an image I like, how do I upload it?

Year 9 Day 30 10:53
Get some form of webhosting. If you don't have any, and your ISP doesn't provide any (do they do that these days? I haven't paid attention in a long time...) there are a number of free services out there, that many members use.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 9 Day 30 10:57
Veep Randoo

Okay, thanks. One last question, then I should be finished on this subject! If I have the URL of an image on an existing site, can I just use that? I know I'd need to check occasionally to make sure it was still up there, but is that considered 'stealing' any more than copying and pasting an image and using it anyway?

Year 9 Day 30 11:14
Veep Randoo

Well, I tried it and it worked, if this was the wrong thing to do then somebody please let me know!

Year 9 Day 30 11:24
Actually what you're doing right now is "leeching" their bandwidth, by hotlinking directly to them. Impolite at best, and yes it's technically theft or their bandwidth. Much better to copy it to your own hosting.

Year 9 Day 30 11:27
Veep Randoo

Uh-oh, didn't realise that. Will make sure it's done the right way. Thanks again, Hal.

Year 9 Day 30 11:40
Oh, and for future reference, there's an "edit" option, under your avatar, so you don't need to double-post.