Time

20:36:49

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 9 Day 69 10:47
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
How large is a grid in space?

On ground it's 2x2 km, so I'd like to know how much it is in space.

If that question can be answered, that is.

Time to go to war with the Flame Tigers!
Year 9 Day 69 14:13
I don't know, so I'm working off some info from TFN and others.

Assuming 1 MGLT = 400 m/s^2:

Traveling 1 sublight square at 1 MGLT would take you 8 hours, 38 minutes

8h38m = 31080s

31080 * 400 = 12,432,000 meters or probably somewhere around 12,500 kilometers.

Does that make any kind of sense? I haven't had physics for a year and I'm probably totally wrong, but meh. Someone else can do math to prove me wrong!

Year 9 Day 69 14:52
Phryss
Phryss
We don't use MGLT, rather a nonspecific unit of sublight speed. Logically, the systems in the SWC universe would vary widely in their size, but systems in SWC don't follow physics in many areas [eg, planets don't orbit at all], for the sake of simplified coding or playability. So in the end, the area covered by each square is undefined, arbitrary, and physics-defying, but purposefully so.

I dare you to make less sense.

rotate.php\"
Are you a newbie, or do you have access to newbies?
Year 9 Day 69 15:22
Ah, I apologize, I was only going by the rules pages, which stated that we used MGLT. =P

But yeah, if each square were actually defined some planets would take up multiple squares and others only parts of a square, which I suppose is a good reason we don't define the size of a system square. But if we DID actually use MGLT, I would be pretty close to being right!

Year 9 Day 69 15:25
Phryss
Phryss
I suppose we do use MGLT, then. I was recalling old information. The math is still unworkable, though, and the coding doesn't really reflect any standard speed or proportions.

Edited By: Phryss on Year 9 Day 69 15:26

rotate.php\"
Year 9 Day 69 15:34
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
So it's undefined. Okay, thanks.

Just asking, since planets take as much space as asteroids, and a Cloakshape takes as much space as a Super Star Destroyer. That thought kinda triggered my question.

Year 9 Day 70 1:03
Actually, you can fit many many ships into a single square, so your statement isn't quite correct :)

Just because there is something at a system square doesn't mean that it fills the whole square.

mystats.php?uid=c1
Year 9 Day 70 2:26
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
Exactly the fact that I can fit as many there as I want.

I believe I once saw like 170 ships or so on one grid.

Not like I anticipate combat, but the way I see it, space battles may seem like they will take place on just one grid. So that's why I was interested in knowing this.

So, if I were to compare this to the movies, the 'Battle of Endor' and 'Battle of Coruscant' all took place in just one grid?

Year 9 Day 70 3:49
Piico SaNikto
Piico SaNikto
I would think just one space, as you said. The same space that the planet is located on.

\"Photobucket\"
Year 9 Day 70 3:51
More or less.. yes. As you can see planets also fit in only one grid, so I assume grid of space is large enough. Considering planets are usually lightyears away, 1x1 lightyear as a grid size is a good estimation ;)

I don't believe Hutts are a superior race. I know that.

Lanthrym system holosite

lothbotitanshorizontalb.jpg
Year 9 Day 70 3:52
Lance Hawke
Lance Hawke
http://rules.swcombine.com/?Ships#Weapon_Modules

reading ^that^ it seems like they intend to allow space combat to reach into several spacial grids.

Year 9 Day 70 5:07
Cesodevo Avina
Cesodevo Avina
Yeah, that's makes sense. I remember tearing up TSF ships on their WarSim with various weapons.

But if that's the case, there should probably be a clear definition. Not saying that as a suggestion, but proton torpedoes only fly but so far, and I doubt they'll be able to fly as far as the length of a SSD (12km), yet one SSD fits into one grid, as a whole fleet can.

Year 9 Day 70 11:57
Considering planets are usually lightyears away, 1x1 lightyear as a grid size is a good estimation ;) 

... Just, ...

Planets are not light years away from each other, SYSTEMS are light years from each other. Therefore, no, 1x1 light year is not a good estimation. We've already established that there is no good estimation because SWC's system sizes take physics and throw them out the window.

Year 9 Day 70 12:03
Phryss
Phryss
The grid system and distances are very likely to be two of the issues addressed by the creation of combat rules.

As an aside, no square in a system grid would be a light-year across. The Kuiper belt, of which Pluto is a part, is about 7.5 light-hours away from the Sun. The Earth is about 8.5 light-minutes away. So the scale of planetary systems would be far from light-years in scale. [To be fair, the Oort Cloud would be almost a light-year away, which is a quarter of the distance to the next nearest star. In SWC, however, systems only seem to go as far as major planetary bodies.]

If a square on the grid were a light-year across, a turbolaser blast would take a year to travel from one square to another. There are enough complaints about the time-delay system as it is, hm?

Edited By: Phryss on Year 9 Day 70 12:25

rotate.php\"
Year 9 Day 70 13:17
* systems, damn me !

I don't believe Hutts are a superior race. I know that.

Lanthrym system holosite

lothbotitanshorizontalb.jpg
Year 9 Day 70 20:02
Yes, then it would make a bit of sense for each square in the galaxy map grid to be a light year. =P