123 are online

Year

Day

Time

02:08:50

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » How do gravity wells affect ships?
I just read the new rules on gravity wells on http://rules.swcombine.com/general/movement/

but all they explained is how gravity well sizes are calculated and who could see them. But no mention is made of how these wells will affect the ship.

So back to my question, how do gravity wells affect ships?

[quote]Planetary Gravity Wells: All planetary bodies (except comets) generate gravity wells that affect ships in, and attempting to leave or enter, hyperspace.[quote]

horbanner.gif
Nice quotation, but it still doesn't expain the thread opener's question.

So again: how is one affected while being in a gravity well? There must be any mathematical thing (like in the other rules) so they could be added and everybody is happy *gg*

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
updated rules. I'd assumed that people here would know that gravity wells in Star Wars prevented ships from jumping to hyperspace (and pulled them out once they were in).

Kids these days!
I thought it pretty much answered his question.
gravity wells affect ships in the way that they canĀ“t enter hyperspace while being in one.

horbanner.gif
Dexter Calo

Sorry Tyr, you only answered how ships are affected which try to enter hyperspace while in a gravity well.

Not what happens to ships which are in hyperspace travel or which try to leave hyperspace.

The quote says:
"wells that affect ships in, and attempting to leave or enter, hyperspace."

So could someone explain the bold points to me please?
How can a ship be affected by a gravity well when IN hyperspace?
And how does the gravity well affect a ship when leaving hyperspace?
Does that mean that a ship cant leave hyperspace at a point where there is a gravity field? Will it leave then in the next "free" point next to the gravity field?

Questions over questions...

EDIT: Ok I saw now that the rules only talk now about entering hyperspace, the two other points seem to be away.
*Problem solved*

Edited By: Dexter Calo on Year 6 Day 243 8:32
Cam Antilles

A gravity well should pull ships out of hyperspace.

If you are pulled out of hyperspace ontop of something like a sun, you can explode.

swcsig.jpg\"
\"Somewhere, there\'s a bullet with your name on it. The trick is to die of age before it finds you\"
Dexter Calo

ok, let me check if i got this right:

From now on, if I travel in hyperspace I can, without doing something wrong myself (aborting the hs travel), be pulled out of hyperspace and just die?
Is there nothing you can do about it?

A hyperspace route should be programmed to avoid known gravity wells. Only unexpected gravity wells should have an effect on ships in hyperspace - e.g. Interdictors and hidden systems.

Of course that brings up the problem that once you have information on a hidden system, it would never affect you again. I don't think that's currently supported in the options for the Combine.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Cam Antilles

The sun would have to be on the edge of a system, which I doubt if there are many if any that are, but if that was the case and you aborted hyperspace exactly ontop of a sun, yes you'd die.

The chances of that happening are well, I don't think it can happen.

swcsig.jpg\"
\"Somewhere, there\'s a bullet with your name on it. The trick is to die of age before it finds you\"
I just wanted to share this picture.

wtfsig.jpg

^_^

swcforumsig

Cam Antilles

that sig is way way way off center

swcsig.jpg\"
omg, gravity affects signatures???

mystats.php?uid=c1
*takes a marker and draws a big black line over DeMeer's IP*

What screen resolution is that?

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
It's because of the unclosed quote tag.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay