First, let me thank everyone involved with this awesome new feature. I am very intrigued of how it will work, and I am amazed there hasn't been a thread about these subjects (and if there is, I apologize and feel free to close). Some of my questions are about specific rules, while others are just curiosity.
1. I seem to remember tamability used to have a stat.... Will there also be a viewable stat this time? What skills are planned to affect taming and training?
2. What does the "Type" Characteristic influence? EDIT: Found the answer, yet it was at the bottom of the page. You might want to move that up.
3. What does the list of Homeworlds influence? Does it mean that a creature with a homeworld of say Naboo will only appear there? What happens to None species? Will they be the ones appearing everywhere?
4. What about the list of Creatures by Terrain? What does it influence?
5. "Creatures will only spawn on planets where there there are no characters, vehicles, ships, and other creatures except the character and their party." This part of the rules is confusing.... You must mean there should be no ships/vehicles in a terrain grid, not an entire planet... how else am I going to get there, then? It seems very hard that a planet is completely void of characters, ships, vehicles and other creatures.
6. Creatures will spawn in cities, right? And they will work with the same percentages as the terrain the city is built on? I.e. A river city will have the same probabilities to spawn a creature as a river terrain with no slab?
7. According to the rules, it is implied that you can encounter a creature while in a ship/vehicle. Yet it would contradict the paragraph quoted in part 5.
8. Regarding the removal/addition of new creatures... I think the combine could live without some creatures that already exist. Like the Elix, which only appeared in a minor book from 1989. Instead, newer species introduced later in the prequels could be more popular, like the fauna found in Felucia (the translucent bugs come to mind). They have better sources, more images to choose from and are more popular. Will there be a chance for the SWC populace to suggest the addition/removal of creatures?
9. What happened to the descriptions? Where they saved, or will you need help writing them again?
10. Could we get a sneak peak as to what you mean with items and facilities focused on creatures? A Nerf Farm? A whip will improve your chances to tame a creature?
11. How does the rarity stat function? The higher the number the most difficult it is to find the creature? Or vice versa? In which equation is this stat used?
Thank you again for your time. Please do not confuse my curiosity and excitement with criticism or disdain from my behalf ^_^
Edited By: Vipera Kuat-Praji on Year 9 Day 301 13:15
I have one more to add to these: Will there be a location for suggestions for new creatures? With the release of Episode III and the many, many books that came out at that time there are more creatures out there than we have listed.
1. The tameibility stat has been removed from creatures. Undetermined which skills will be used for taming as of yet. One of the more likely will be diplomacy.
3. If they have a homeworld listed then the creature will only spawn on that homeworld on the terrain that it is allowed. If they are none then they can spawn on any planet on the right terrain.
4. This is just a visual reference for people to see what terrains have the most creatures.
5. Typo on my part will fix this up for next sync. Should be on a terrain grid correct.
6. Correct however this might become more restrictive later on so only certain creatures can spawn in cities.
7. This is what I get for making hte rules page in like 5 minutes. I'll try to clean it up a lot so it is clearer. However the idea is floating around to let certain types be able to spawn in ships and vehicles and hte like.
8. The list on the rules page is not the final list. I have been going through and removing those that don't belong but it is a long process, and I didn't think it required to be completely done before we released. Eventually there will be a chance for the populace to make suggestions for them but not currently until we have setup real standards for the skills.
9. To convert to this format I have to remove the descriptions for things. Also from what I understand they were mostly just taken off wookieepedia anyways.
10. Well for starters there is a Krayt Dragon Pearl now so you will see a lot more various trophy items.
11. Lower the number the less the chance. This is used in a rather strange equation that I need to find a way to explain it first.
THanks Kyle, I had the same questions. Incidentally, there is one creature that spawns on balck holes - is that a typo, since otherwise no-one will ever see one (unless there is a ship in R&D that is not destroyed on blackholes)?
“7. This is what I get for making hte rules page in like 5 minutes. I'll try to clean it up a lot so it is clearer. However the idea is floating around to let certain types be able to spawn in ships and vehicles and hte like.”
Sorry to add to the load of questions, but does that mean there will be pests like gizka that can get into your ship if you land? (I like the idea of that actually.)
Interested in coming to my funeral? Talk to Mike Que-kara about getting on the guest list.
These creatures could turn out to be very interesting, I am excited to see what can be done with them.
When I first read your quote Volk, a thought crossed my mind *Rancor suddenly spawning on my ship* "Nooooooooooooooo, I havent built the blast doors yet!"
"Rescue the president, Rescue the hostages, disarm the terrorists..."
"Rescue the president, Rescue the hostages, disarm the terrorists..."
"Rescue the terrorists, disarm the president, and kill the hostages..."
"Disarm the hostages
Hmm yes the blackhole thingie is a typo. I blame typing with the bunny ears rather than the paws. I'll fix that up soon.
Yes pests like gizka was actually the insperation for the idea however right now it is just an idea. I'm not sure how would be best to implement it or what the purpose would be of them other then good clean fun :P
Anything can be done with creatures that is their fun they are truely versitle.
At some point either a dedicated area will be created, or more likely (unless we get flooded) they will be allowed in the Suggestions forum. I'd be opposed to it at the current stage, though, prefering to see work done on implementing the creatures we do have now, and then expanding the list later. However the timing of it is up to Kyle.
"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."
My personal view of creatures being introduced is as major as combat, so I truly want to see to it that creatures is not exploited by the greedy city builder governments. Creatures that do not live in cities and need untouched terrain to live and flourish should be impossible to spawn as long a city are there no matter terrain type. I strongly believe that these city planets we find everywhere should not by any means be subsidised anymore then they already is.
I want creatures that do not live in Urban terrain to be completely locked until free grids of nature is exposed so the city planet owners may get a reason to clear some ground free and in that way reduce the ugliness we experiences in this galaxy. Homeworlds with specific species should not be available to spawn by those whom only live to make Homeworlds Coruscant copies. Leave nature as it is and creatures will flourish!
Hey Talak any chance a girl could have a nice fur for the winter? That is if you can find a square not already a metropolitan. Seriously I also adore the introduction of Animals it will hopefully bring some more life to this otherwise very static world, and I am with Talak on the spawning of animals. Would be darn silly if you ask me if someone spawned a Rancor in the middle of a busy merchant street on let’s say Dathomir. ;)
I'm with the environmentalist and carrots for the bunny and Sin that makes this happen!
Vendaxa was their home planet though. However, they've also been noted for appearing on Geonosis and Felucia. Meh. Just not a fan of limiting species that are known to be on other worlds. Unless we can later transplant and spread them as well.
I hate to do this as I know it's a restricted topic in the suggestions forum, but it really seems that with the coming implementation of creatures and a proposed sell to NPC market function that there would be huge opportunities once taming or capture comes around.
A 5X5 (NPC Zoo, NPC Aquarium) or 7X7 (Wildlife Preserve) entity would be absolutely awesome for people on planets to enter and see creatures in a "safe" environment rather than out in the open with a risk of attack (when combat comes). Players could capture creatures and sell them to NPC Zoos and Wildlife Preserves to enhance the variety of each facility as well as creating a niche market for poachers and safari guides/big game hunters throughout the galaxy. The entities could act as both an income facility as well as a morale booster for planets. The possibilities seem to be endless (Rancor pits, underground creature fighting, Galactic PETA and Greenpeace, etc.).
This is probably the thing that I'm most excited about since joining SWC. My biggest question would be surrounding the implementation of aquatic creatures (a big topic of interest since my character likes to take a quick swim here and there) since ATM there isn't much in the way of water functionality. Will there be a upper and lower level of each tile, ie above ground/undergound on land and surface/submerged for water?