Day

Time

11:46:55

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CenterRPG CenterQuestion Center
Archives » Passing through two shields
Year 10 Day 46 10:01
If I have a city with an active shield generator and CCC, and a neighboring city also has an active shield generator, will I be able to land in my city? The relevant rule says:

"If however, the Shield Generator is attached to a Computer Control Centre, traveling through shields is possible."

But, when it talks about multiple shields:

"...subsequent shield coverage of an area from a second shield generator will result in a stacking of shield strength. If fired upon, Shield Damage will be divided up among evenly among all the shields covering the target location."

This implies that the neighboring shields are overlapping each other. It seems like I would pass through my shield and run smack into my neighbor's overlapping shield.

Year 10 Day 46 10:38
That sounds like what would happen, indeed.

Year 10 Day 46 19:37
You should be able to pass through your shield one square in the other direction, then cross-terrain into your city. Annoying, but one good solution. Unless you have another shield on the other side owned by the same neighbour.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 10 Day 46 23:24
I know cross-terrain is an option, but I was just wondering about when lots of cities starts to install shield generators. Should be interesting when people have to start figuring out who to contact to get into their own city :-)

Light speed is too slow! We're going to have to go right to...Ludicrous speed.

Amp Thane, Captain, BFF-1 class freighter EQUUS
Year 10 Day 47 0:17
Which seems like it wouldn't be a problem if people had planned more carefully where they placed their cities, and who they did business with.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 10 Day 47 10:36
That's exactly the reason why I build cities in 3x3 blocks. ;)

Year 10 Day 62 20:54
Keram McDlanar
Keram McDlanar
Hello, I have questions regarding shields illustrated by example:

Ship is started descending from atmosphere to surface at hour 10:00:00. But shield was turned on at 9:00:02. What now, will this ship pass shield within two seconds? (as shield will be fully energized at 10:00:02) How it is handled?

And last thing - is CCC required to pass through shield?
quote from rules:
If however, the Shield Generator is attached to a Computer Control Centre, traveling through shields is possible. Adding a character or faction to the Computer Control Centre crewlist allows the character or member of said faction to pass through the shield unhindered while being removed from the crew list will prevent travel.
So what if I have energized shield on 1x1 and man who did it went inactive and I have NO CCC there? Wouldn't it be more logical to give access to those who are on crewlist of shield generator? Or maybe let's create some 'crewlist' for planet which could be responsibility of governor/magistrate since we already have such vacancies?

If You don't live for something, You will die for nothing.
Year 10 Day 62 21:15
CCC only. If you want to pass through it, use a CCC. If you want to barricade yourself, don't. Using a CCC makes perfect sense and, frankly, encourages a little diversity.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 10 Day 62 23:43
As for the timing, I believe it only matters when you start your travelling. Even if you started descending at 10:00:00 you should still be able to pass through the shield.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 10 Day 63 5:58
I do believe that as long as you are Manager, Operator, or on the Crewlist of the Shield Generator you may pass through the Shield.

alleysigv2.png\"
trepemiddle.png\"
Year 10 Day 63 6:09
Nope Alley. It was discussed but not actually implemented. I know because I tried to do that.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 10 Day 63 14:02
Keram McDlanar
Keram McDlanar
With timing it's not so obvious. When you're starting ascending you're still on ground for one full hour so you can be shoot at etc (same with descending/reentry). If you would at the same time be protected by planetary shield it would be bit strange, don't you think so?

Year 10 Day 63 19:32
No, when you start any sort of move like that (ascend, descend, cross terrain) it says you remain there, but that is only for aborting purposes. In all other regards you are not able to be seen, as explained in the rules pages.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 10 Day 63 20:24
Keram McDlanar
Keram McDlanar
But you *can* be seen as ascending/descending.

----edit-------

Quote of ascending from ground:
"Ships and vehicles will not have access to any scanner info during action, but will be seen on the terrain/city scanner map until completion of travel. "
That clearly states you're still on ground untill travel will be finished - if it won't be changed before combat, you can be shot down from ground during all this hour. So if at the same time you're already above shield, it wouldn't be logical..

Edited By: Keram McDlanar on Year 10 Day 63 20:28