Year

Day

Time

19:57:26

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 10 Day 266 23:17
Elia Draven

I've browsed the rules - though, admittedly, I haven't scoured every corner - but I can't seem to find the answer to my problem.

I'm wondering, is it possible to steal items from a player when they have not assigned you carrier, quartermaster, or owner?

I have no intents of stealing anything, however, upon randomly browsing my items, I discovered that a keycard of mine has mysteriously vanished from my possession and appeared, instead, aboard a freighter that I have never been.

This freighter does not belong to anyone in my faction - as far as I know. The keycard has nothing on it, so it's not a security issue as much as a mild confusion. I keep all keycards I craft stored in my personal belongings unless I assign them to specific people.

This keycard is not intended to be used as of yet, it was a back-up. And even if I had dropped the item, in order to get to any of the facilities in which I have created keycards, one would have to bypass the planetary shields.

So, there are a few ways this could happen.

1) Stealing is permitted and somehow someone stole the item (though why, I can't imagine).
2) I gave the keycard away and something didn't click correctly in the system.
3) It is simply a glitch.

I'm truly hoping it's just the latter of these.

Thank you, in advance, for your help on this matter.

A damn good pilot.
Year 10 Day 266 23:24
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Anyone can pick up an item/weapon sitting on the ground somewhere.

Year 10 Day 266 23:34
Elia Draven

That still leaves the question as to how they bypassed the shields.

Regardless, I suppose there is no way to destroy an item I am not in possession of, is there? A pity.

Is there anything in particular that I could do about this particular item, or is it to late?

And I still do not understand one thing. I do not unassign myself as quartermaster or carrier of an item unless I am giving it to someone else. However, this missing keycard has no quartermaster or carrier.

As I understand it, I would be named both - or at least one - by default immediately after its construction. This is what leads me to believe it is more of a glitch, but I want to make certain that this isn't doable through legal Combine means before I report a bug.

Again, thanks for the help.

Edited By: Elia Draven on Year 10 Day 266 23:43

A damn good pilot.
Year 10 Day 266 23:47
Where is the shield, and who controls it? Most shields can be bypassed by someone or other. Is it a starting planet? Is there a starport there?

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 10 Day 266 23:53
Elia Draven

It's controlled by the faction. The cities in which I have been working lately do not have starports at this time. I'm fairly certain it is not a starting planet.

I'm not certain at this time where the shield originates from as I am not in such a position within the faction to know.

I understand that there are number of people who have temporary access to the cities, but I would like to believe that these are trusted individuals and not thieves. That may be wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

In any event, is there anything I could do about the stolen item, or is it now lost in space?

Also, even though it has been picked up, no individual has equipped it nor placed it in a storage item. It is simply on the floor of a ship I have never boarded, in the entrance, no less.

Thanks again.

Edit: I'm sorry. Do you need more specific information regarding the planet?

Edited By: Elia Draven on Year 10 Day 266 23:54

A damn good pilot.
Year 10 Day 266 23:56
Picking up an abandoned keycard isn't really theft, in most cases. You could try sending a polite DM to the person listed as carrier, telling them that you had intended to retrieve the card later, but I'm not sure if you feel it's worth it. Just craft another one, take it as a learning experience, and be more careful next time. You could have lost something a lot more valuable.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 10 Day 267 0:04
Elia Draven

Thank you. Usually I am very careful, so I have been trying to figure out how I misplaced this keycard.

Regardless, you are right. Unfortunately, the name of the person does not show up. They are not assigned carrier nor quartermaster of the item and I am still assigned ownership. I do not know to whom to give it and yet I do not want to have it sitting in my inventory forever.

Thank you very much for your fast resolution of this situation.

Edit: Actually, as an afterthought... how is it that someone can pick up an item if they are not assigned carrier? I have carried items for others before and I know that I have been unable to move items of which I was not assigned carrier.

Sorry for continuing to drag this on, but I'm not sure I fully understand. I can be a bit slow at times.

Edited By: Elia Draven on Year 10 Day 267 0:15

A damn good pilot.
Year 10 Day 267 0:34
No, you're right. If they picked it up, they should show as carrier. The only other way to move it is if it was already in a container (which could then have been emptied, of course, to leave it in a ship).

You could change the name to have them contact you? Then if someone sees it they might DM you.

Year 10 Day 267 2:08
Elia Draven

Thank you very much. I have edited the description and the name now to request that whomever finds the item contact me.

A damn good pilot.
Year 10 Day 267 15:46
Umbeck Traxer

"I know that I have been unable to move items of which I was not assigned carrier."

I don't know what you did when you couldn't pick up an item you weren't labeled Carrier of, but anyone can walk up to any item on the ground and walk off with it. Regardless of owner, carrier, quartermaster. So if you couldn't pick something up either you bugged or you did it wrong.

"yet I do not want to have it sitting in my inventory forever."
easy fix, make over to someone you don't like.