I have been playing around with the different features on here for about a week ( pretty much since I found the site and got access) I see alot of old information, and here and see how alot of things were started then abandoned. I was wondering about a few things that I am pretty sure have been discussed in the past, but would like current thoughts and/or updates on them if possible.
1. it seems that currently you can assign NPCs to fly fighters if in a formation or squad, is there going to be the ability for them to fly other crafts, maybe freighters on a set run route (point a pick up ###, travel to point b drop off ### and pick up $$$ travel to point c drop off $$$ return to point a) or maybe be able to assign NPCs to a fighter squadron attached to a capital, that could launch them to intercept other ships in a sector( I realize this would be after combat is finished). I would like to try to set up a few regular trade routes that could be ran by NPC pilots. I have more thoughts or ideas on this if I might get a chance to throw ideas at a developer and think how realistic the implications might be.
2. Is it possible to get a more updated page, maybe weekly or monthly, that will inform us about what is currently going on, and possibly how many projects we are waiting to be tentativly finished before we see a trial version for say combat (I will admit I am interested in see about this, but would like it to be a well researched item that the devs felt was ready to be launched or implemented.
3. Is there any plans currently for implamenting a mass market kind of thing, where someone could post something for sale in one place, someone another place could buy it, with either the buyer arranging for transportation or the seller including transportation to certain areas. Then also having it to where a 3rd party could contract to transport said goods for a fee. Where the transporter had to get some type of license from the group whos system he picks up the goods in. The fees could be either competative or a listed price (both being on a basis where the 3rd party had to either have regular times he was there or a listed price for that point to different regular routes. Kinda like UPS FEDEX type thing. This could create a better trading system in game, with both individuals and trading houses competeing and the option for a secure trade sponsored by a government faction. Where it would be the government who authorize the trading buildings and the pilot/delivering options.
4. also the possibility of playable NPCs for certain types, with a limit to the number a player can have (this way someone could have multiple routes for a transportation system, a person could have several production facilities they could rotate through that were far apart, a person could build a small fleet to control. Have it to where as you gain levels you can control more NPCs, but only so many of each type, so maybe 5 capital ship pilots, 5 freighter pilots, 5 fighter pilots (able to lead squadrons), 5 manager NPCs (able to control production in factories) and the other fields that need a player to use them. This way a player might have the chance to do more on the server than wait the 3 days for starship travel to get to the next system before he needs to be online again. Also it could start with say 1 NPC playable at 1st lvl, then as you go up a number of NPCs can be played as your LVL rises, If the owner dies, the NPCs become regular and go to the persons faction, or if the person is not in a faction go up for sale as assests that can be bought, with the NPCs becoming regular non playable again.
Submitted By Xandel Zurgo a person only trying to help inprove the game by offering his ideas
1. You can't assign NPCs to fly fighters as you write there. You can set the fighters as NPC controlled, but you don't actually need an NPC in the fighter to fly it. As for the rest, Presumably once NPCs are required in fighters, you can have a mixed squad, but not now. And NPC travel routes will be a slim to none chance of happening.
2. There is the SimNews section that gives updates whenever new stuff is synced up to the main server - this is the closest thing we have to what you want. As for plans for the future, there was recently a post in the SimNews with a nice diagram that may help you there.
3. Mass-market thingy? Your best bet if the off-site Centerpoint Market - its part of the Centerpoint Space Station trading faction. Otherwise, browse the COmmerce forum to have a look for other things people sell.
4. Not entirely sure what your thinking here. Have a look through the NPC rules pages (follow the Rules link at the top of the page and find it there) and then see if that answers your question.
was mainly asking about the future possibilty of the NPC controle of ships, sorry if I had the actual info wrong, the one about trading was to hopefully creat a little more game play, like maybe getting hired to try to smuggle goods into a restricted zone. most are general questions about things that maybe now or might get put in future ideas for upgrades or game concepts, I know that almost all the things I asked about are not available now, it was asking if it was something that might be done latter on.
Playing as an individual doesn't mean you don't interact with anyone. I simply mean you don't need to be a member of any faction or group to play the game 'successfully'. If you've got the patience for working that market, or maybe the Commerce forums, or perhaps spend the dollars for donations it won't take a individual player long to get off the ground.
My subsequent interactions with others, as an individual, allow me to flourish in my life as said individual. I'm a individual within a community, I'm not a member of any sub-community, I receive no wage and have no benefactors, loyal only to mahself. If this doesn't classify individuality I dunno what will! Because I make use of that community to service my lifestyle doesn't make me any less of a lone-operator.
I'd argue with CPM, the commerce forum and donation/CP system the game is very much designed to facilitate individuals as well as groups. *folds the arms, nods, scowls and giggles*
Edit: Yeah I know, it's not a discussion forum - sorry *blush* - Should I go away now?
“I also doubt you never interact with any other person or group.
- Hal ”
Aye, very true. Heck even you and I interacted nekkid that time in the anonymous thread you know. Who am I trying to fool, I love interacting with others, but I only do it as an individual. Although when it's with you Hal I feel like I'm in a crowded room you know, all those eyes on me and no matter where I go the sound of heavy breathing close behind me.
Okies, I'll go away now. Had to keep editing this, it was the gift that just kept giving. I just wanted to argue about the definition and application of the term individual within the SWC environment. I'd hoped to confuse him, I often wonder what does Hal do when he gets confused maybe he pops. Or maybe he goes postal D:
Edited By: Erica Ferrari on Year 10 Day 276 3:12 ____________
What I mean is, when I play Warhammer, I can log in, grab some quests from NPCs, go kill some mobs, come back to the NPCs to sell my loot, etc. At no point do I actually need to interact with other people. I can play the game as an individual, on my own. It may ignore half the fun, but the game is designed to allow me to do that.
SWC is not designed to be played without interacting with others. Only a handful of ships can be obtained without buying them from other players/factions. Similarly only very basic items can be obtained without buying from players/factions. You can't get RMs without interacting with others (in fact you can't mine without a mining faction). You can't produce anything without a faction of the appropriate type. You cannot sell to NPCs. You cannot control a planet without a faction. Etc.
Of course, you basically said the same thing, which really means we're arguing semantics over my use of the word "individual" - that being whether or not it means the same thing as "freelancer".
"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."
Yeah true, I always argue those semantics, someone called me a "fickle, fickle wench" one time you know, so accurate a description it was I had to wear it in my sig for a couple years. One of those excuse sigs you know, kinda like my color one. Wearing a sign saying you're an idiot or similiar tends to make me feel less of an idiot when I act that way. I think I'll refer to that as the placebo signature effect.
Anywho, yes semantics. Sorry I was just playing around, when I saw you say that I thought it could easy be taken in a much broader context so thought I'd stick my little hands in and find how broad that bad boy was, and your last reply there was pretty awesome, I got nothin' and I'm way too tired to even come up with some kind of witty repartee or anything that resembles more than a spammish anecdote.
Although if you'd just said all that in your first post we wouldn't be here in this mess now would we. Goodness me.
to a point tit is that way, I am part of a faction, but from my understanding, only certain freighter class ships can be NPC controlled along with all figther class as long as in a squadron of small ships, with the rest requiring pilots. Also the other posts were about what could be done with NPCs I may not have understood what has been told to me already, but from what I got, you had to be close to the NPCs to change the tasks that they were currently doing.
I also know that the GNS reports updates, but I have not heard anything about a current list showing what is currently taking priority in game inprovements, whether it is something that is being worked on, or whether it is something planned but not yet started.
I am part of a larger group, but that does not mean that I can control 2 freighters flying around when I have to be in them to control where they are going. Nor have I heard any thing about being able to control and manipulate NPCs outside of a certain range of control from Player Characters.
I am not trying to be mean, but was trying to get some anwsers that might already be posted, but might have been anwsered 2 years ago and thoughts changed on them.
“I am part of a larger group, but that does not mean that I can control 2 freighters flying around when I have to be in them to control where they are going. Nor have I heard any thing about being able to control and manipulate NPCs outside of a certain range of control from Player Characters.”
Why do you think you are employed by a faction? It's because factions need people to get things done. If everything could be done by NPCs, then there wouldn't be a need for groups, and the few most powerful people in the game would be able to do everything themselves without the need to involve other people.
NPCs are deliberately limited in their scope, because this game is player-driven, and focused on interactions between people and groups. That's why so many different faction types, with different functions, exist.
"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."
“I also know that the GNS reports updates, but I have not heard anything about a current list showing what is currently taking priority in game inprovements, whether it is something that is being worked on, or whether it is something planned but not yet started. ”
That would be because the GNS is news that comes from the game ICily and from players - the SimNews is the button just to the left of that and deals with the OOC information about the game.
Although NPCs are "limited in scope", doesn't mean that you should underestimate them.
If a PC fights another PC in an on-foot battle, chances are that the battle would take days, and you'd just as likely loose as you would win. But at no disadvantage other than increased financial strain, you can add up to 12 NPCs to fight alongside you! And although a single rifleman NPC stands no chance against a PC, if that rifleman has a PC helping him, and 11 other NPCs as well, then the results are devastating!
With my Ewok rifleman, melee combat troopers, grenadier, and scout I could totally pwn any PC going on foot without NPCs on his side.