161 are online

Year

Day

Time

03:15:56

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 11 Day 13 3:29
Is it possible to change the name of your npc's? if no, why not?

Year 11 Day 13 8:46
Not you personally. Every so often the NPC team perform some events where you can ask for a rename of a specific type of NPC.

As to why not, its so that people don't give them stupid names. And if it was submitted for acceptance like the character names, there would be way too many requests for them to feasibly handle.

Year 11 Day 13 21:07
Then how would you create an NPC that repesents a family member? The NPC would need the same last name to pass as family.

Year 11 Day 13 21:40
Then how would you create an NPC that repesents a family member? The NPC would need the same last name to pass as family.

- Arke Surthan

Without being able to change or customize your NPCs name there's little you could do I'd imagine, other than RP around the name-difference (i.e. make up some story as to why they have a different surname - uncle, distant cousin, long-lost brother, person in hiding, etc), or wait and keep your fingies crossed that the NPC team holds another renaming-event sometime. :)

(Personally I think it'd be nice to be able to pay a certain amount of CPs to apply for a Custom-type NPC to have their name changed. Send your name, in the same way you would a custom image, and wait for the approval/decline)

xWODLd5.png
22koojq_zps886df337.gif
Year 11 Day 13 23:04
Zero Turner

In the past you could name your custom NPC's if I recall correctly. But when you think about it you're hiring NPC's (IC) so you're not choosing the name of those you hire, they get their birth names from their parents (The Combine).

Year 11 Day 13 23:39
In the past you could name your custom NPC's if I recall correctly. But when you think about it you're hiring NPC's (IC) so you're not choosing the name of those you hire, they get their birth names from their parents (The Combine).

- Zero Turner

Yeah, I saw that mentioned by someone in another thread, I think in the last hour I've searched and read most of the recent threads (recent - within last year) that suggest or ask about NPC name changes. XD

*is very family/home oriented* :S

What I found interesting is that the idea for exchanging CPs, and having submitted names checked/approved for your Custom NPCs, seems to be a repeated idea and moreover one that almost all posters seem to agree with and support (including many members of the NPC Team), including Team members and players putting hands up to check over name submissions and get involved if there was such a system. Then the discussions seem to die off with no real overall/offical response.

I guess would be nice to know if such a system will be coming in the future, or if it's been written off completely as a bad idea.

But regarding your comments Zero, you're right ^^ regarding hiring NPCs, and them having their own heritage. But on the other hand if this was the case then it would mean no players in Combine could ever legitimately use NPCs as family members. Eets like kinda a IC/OOC conflict there, ayah.

Edited By: Erica Ferrari on Year 11 Day 13 23:40
Year 11 Day 13 23:58
Since some people want to use custom NPCs as family members, why not allow the owners of custom NPCs to either keep the name as-is, or have the last name changed to match their own?

In this way, I could change a custom NPCs last name to "Bromley" to RP a family member, but not decide the name entirely.

Year 11 Day 14 0:04
Points the all knowing combat guru toward the suggestions forum.

Year 11 Day 14 0:06
Zero Turner

NPC's are kinda funny though... they are pretty much "hired" help custom, workers, builders, etc. The only really way to really "RP" family is to have a PC play which makes more sense in many aspects. The only real way to obtain your "surname" at this point is to get someone to join, arrest them, hold them for 3 weeks, then they drop their character. Not really the best way to go about obtaining a family member, but I think it's more interesting to have your family RP via PC's rather then NPCs, though you can still RP current NPC's as step-family or "significant other".

Year 11 Day 14 1:01
That's true. In the case of Custom type NPCs though are they really hired help as such? Would I walk into a PR/Home, pay the resident 80K and ask them to come follow me for the rest of their life at no cost? They cost no upkeep/wage and have no pre-defined role or purpose - being custom only in the sense the PC dictates what they will 'verbally' say when interacting with other PCs.

With this I can make my custom NPC my Chef, a guide perhaps, a slave, a friend - or why not a family member? Many of us already mention and represent the IC actions of our non-existant family members, they just don't exist ingame. With custom NPCs renamable they could.

Of course they still can anyway ^_^ I mean I could still have a brother/sister/child and RP them as such, regardless of their name. But gosh, it'd be nice to rename!

I agree it's much more interesting to have a PC play a family member etc (and makes more sense in many ways - although this applies to all NPC types too - wouldn't it be more interesting to have a PC pilot or bartender?) . But I don't think it's that practical in a broader sense. Using a NPC for certain family members would in some ways be more realistic. For instance if my character found herself pregnant and gave birth she'd have a child/infant. Much of the RP aspect of that parenting would be dragging that NPC around with you like one would a child and ensuring they're safe from environmental effects, arrests, etc. Stages of the NPCs life/age would be easily represented over time with a simple image change.

And later on, if you find a PC who wishes to be your family member there's nothing stopping you from slotting both the NPC and PC and having the PC take their place in respawn with the same name.

I know Combine's not built around the family-aspect (marriage/children etc all restricted topics) but it's obviously extremely relevant I think, with all the 'Houses', 'Families' and other dynasties within the game (not to mention the romance - always consequences when you go falling over on top of people ayah xD)

Or w/e. Bromley you should go make a thread for us. Maybe I'll get bored and do eet myself sometime. I doubt I could be short n' concise though *blush*

Did I mention the time ...

Year 11 Day 14 8:30
If its just one or two, you could try asking the NPC team leader politely if they could change the name for you. But if they did, only a few and not hundreds.