Year

Day

Time

14:54:38

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 11 Day 80 4:33
Sim Karr

This question is in relation to: http://www.swcombine.com/forum/thread.php?thread=39794&page=0

I need some help understanding the scanning rules: http://www.swcombine.com/rules/?Scanning

"The number of squares you can see is determined by one of the following equations. A range of 0 means you can see only what is in your current square."

-and-

"Result
You will see the following entities on the map:
All entities that are in range (ie: on a square of your scanner grid where the sensor power is greater than 0) and whose stealth (characters) or ECM (everything else) is less than the sensor power on that square."

Sounds to me like they are in conflict. You don't need sensors to see your square, but then you do. My questions:

1) To see just the square you are on do you need sensors 1 or 0?

2) To remain hidden must your ECM be equal to or greater than the opposing ship's sensors?

Year 11 Day 80 8:55
You'll always see the square you are on. (That's the 0 part)

If you have 0 sensors and there's something with 1 ECM on the same square as you, you will *not* see them. (That's the sensor power part)

If you have 1 sensors and there's something with 1 ECM on the same square as you, you will *not* see them.

If you have 2 sensors and there's something with 1 ECM on the same square as you, you will see them.

If you have 1 sensors and there's something with 2 ECM on the same square as you, you will *not* see them.

e.g.:

1) 0, but you will not see any ECMed things on that square.
2) Greater than or equal to

Edited By: Clarr Solo on Year 11 Day 81 17:39
Year 11 Day 80 10:19
Sim Karr

Thank you very much!

Year 11 Day 81 14:10
If you have 1 sensors and there's something with 1 ECM on the same square as you, you will see them. 

Result
You will see the following entities on the map:

* Yourself
* All entities who are your friends and you theirs.
* All wrecks, asteroids or facilities.
* All entities that are in range (ie: on a square of your scanner grid where the sensor power is greater than 0) and whose stealth (characters) or ECM (everything else) is less than the sensor power on that square.
* All stations with no ECM.

According to that, sensors must be greater than ECM for you to see the entity, not just equal as you said, Clarr.

Ships with 1 sensor can only see the square they are in... right?

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 11 Day 81 14:16
Year 11 Day 81 17:43
Paparrin is right, I got it wrong in my initial post. I have corrected it.

There's something weird going on with the code when you have 0 sensors; I will investigate.

There's also something odd going on when ECM is 0, as in some tests I did a 0 sensor ship could occasionally see things on the same square as it; even though 0 ecm is not less than 0 sensors. I believe we might have a "sensors is always atleast 1" somewhere for some calculations.

Year 11 Day 81 23:04
Sim Karr

Thank you both.