248 are online

Year

Day

Time

19:52:45

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Travel updates: changes to exiting hyperspace?!?
I wasn't sure where else to put this so here goes.

Just exited hyperspace from a deepspace coordinate to a system coordinate:
- The deepspace coordinate exited me on the edge of the system (as it normally does).
- The system coordinate exited me well within the system (roughly coordinate (4, 7); too close to the sun for my comfort [and i only travelled to the next galactic coordinate]).

For ASim/reference the timestamps are for:
- deepspace (correct exit location): Year 11 Day 225, 20:28
- system (?!? exit location): Year 11 Day 225, 21:52

My question is has anything been updated in the 'Travel' code to explain this (as i can't find anything relating to this at the Movement rules @ http://www.swcombine.com/rules/?Movement )?

Also, if it's part of the coding is there a safety section so it doesn't exit you at a Sun, black hole, etc? Finding out when you login that your ship/character had been destroyed/killed when only exiting hyperspace seems to make this 'feature' disconcerting.

If it's not part of the coding/game mechanics (i.e. a Bug) i'll report it once i know people are having similar issues/worrying thoughts.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

You flew from deepspace to a systen? Why are you telling us about exiting deepspace when you are leavin there rather than arriving?

As for entering the system: a) did you plan on arriving there? and b) if you didn't plan on stopping there, is there an active interdictor present?

If you were dragged out of space into the system then it will be because of an Interdictor and likely will mean that you leave in the middle of a system. Otherwise yes it is probably a bug.

Ellias_sig6.png
yes, from deepspace to the system - i do this small jump (from coordinate x,y to [x+1],y) to skip the long sublight travel to the planet i go to as i'd exit on the other side of the system from a system-system jump (as it normally exits at the planets orbit).
[i've been doing this sort of 'travel hop' for 2-3 years and it's the first time it's exited at a non-edge location]

i can DM you, Ellias, if you'd want some clarification on what i mean.

Why are you telling us about exiting deepspace when you are leavin there rather than arriving?

- Ellias

i said this to show what previously happened one time (deepspace arrival) and differently another (the system arrival).

Entering the system:
a) yes i planned to arrive there (coordinates selected) [this is where it normally exits be at the sytems edge]
b) n/a (no interdictor anyway)

i'll wait for a day or so for others to look at and might bug report it then; afterward this can be closed.

EDIT: unless Interdictor fields are hidden from view (while sublighting) only planets and the sun gravity fields were visible/shown.

Edited By: Hayden Atreides on Year 11 Day 227 2:52

- It is best to have and not need than to need and not have.
- Long live Duke Atreides.
- The Sleeper has Awakened.
People might get angry at me saying this, but you honestly might not have enough sensors to see the interdictor.

Azhrarn Amaratha

Well i did notice that on a trip from kiin system to corellia system I now arrive in the lower left corner of correlia where i always used to arrive at the central lower entry point. Cant say i have ever arrived anywhere else than at the edge of a system.

Not even the sky is the limit !
Judging by sublight travel, it now actually plots a path that moves you the direction closest to your destination one square at a time (making a more direct but erratic-looking path) rather than going diagonally until it could go straight (or straight until it could go diagonal) which would explain the shift in entry point.

But it should be the edge, unless you aborted or an interdictor was involved.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Thinking, it may be that Clarr and Sin set up the new travel system so you exited hyper on the edge of a grav well. No idea if that is right, but it might make sense.

EDIT: Looking at your travel, if the above is the case then maybe sun grav wells only since you flew past the planetary grav well.

Edited By: Ellias Aubec on Year 11 Day 227 3:00

Ellias_sig6.png
cheers for the idea/thought Ellias.
your idea sounds like it could be that

(that was my post above as Guest/Visitor)

http://bugs.swcombine.com/view.php?id=5860
^^

Looks like I encountered roughly the same thing today, I replicated on Dev, then Clarr fixed it on Dev [don't know if it's been sync'ed to main yet] but so this isn't a change, just a bug that was left over from the latest sync

000607_Osten.png

http://bugs.swcombine.com/view.php?id=5860
^^

Looks like I encountered roughly the same thing today, I replicated on Dev, then Clarr fixed it on Dev [don't know if it's been sync'ed to main yet] but so this isn't a change, just a bug that was left over from the latest sync

- Charles Osten

hmmmm, now i don't feel like the Universe is against only me