178 are online

Year

Day

Time

22:14:35

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Okay... slower this time... please explain NPC's!
Page 1 2 3
The NPC rules seem to be very technical, but I can't find a list of functions. What can they do, and what can they not do? How do I order them about? In what tasks can they take my place?
Specifically, can the specialized ones operate turrets in freighters? Or do turrets even need operators?
I realize that this will be a broad thread, but I'm eager for any answers.
Thanks,
Djak Mikos

Currently, most NPCs do very little, pending their planned functions.

Primarily, NPCs are currently used for construction, mining, and production. Other NPC types are collected in order to level them up (if you walk around with them in your party they gain XP) and to ensure people (especially factions) have enough of the types they want when more functions become available.

NPCs are unlikely to be able to do many autonomous tasks, but should have options when in the player's party. I.e. if you have the appropriate NPC type with a skill level higher than yours for a specific task, ideally you will be able to use that NPC to do it instead of you. But that is partly speculation.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Custom NPCs are cool, they have no real use but you can write custom script and make them say what you want them to say, they can have neat stuff to say like ETA or destination of the entity you are in, which is useful if you are not flying the ship.

Benedicta Per Gratiam Jou
MeandMine.png
--> Lvl 5 FI Operator - Free Service <--
Korvas Varik

Also the Brawler NPC's you could fight with up to three times a day I think and get XP then use the Medic NPC's to heal you( for a fee ) but if I remember correctly those NPC scripts are still not working/ haven't been reinstated (or whatever)

varik1
Misinformation... Sorry about any confusion caused.

Edited By: Greg Robbins on Year 11 Day 355 13:05
Ka`rla Leakey

no.

Only certain pilots with certain types of ships

No. NPC Pilots do not work with any ships at all at this time.

It is possible to set certain types of ship to "NPC Controlled", but you do not currently need actual NPCs to do it.

Stop giving bad information in the Questions forums!

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

You are possibly thinking of droids that have the right skill points for piloting keeping a ship on course after you have started travel, but they are not NPCs.

Brawlers are currently not working because the new code for brawling has yet to be coded/finished.

Medics are fine at the moment. THey may have additional functionality with regards to aiding you in medical item usage, but they will never heal you up on their own without using up medical items - that has been removed and will not be re-added.

Ellias_sig6.png
Actually, ah was going from the info found in the example to section 1.2/ Military NPCs, guess ah got confused about the wording (to me, and ah'm sure to a lot of other people, an NPC is a Non Player CHARACTER, not a Non Player Vehicle/Ship)

Tiali, you do realise on that page it actually says that NPCs can also refer to the ships vehicles etc?

Anyway, best not to answer questions if you do not have any personal experience with that aspect as rules pages are not always 100% accurate. Saves confusing people asking questions, and bad information being spread.

Ellias_sig6.png
Samael Darkfire

1. How do NPC's gain XP aside from walking in a Party (orbit/descend, flying, construction, etc.)
2. What can NPC's do? (For example, could I send my NPC to transport stuff on his own?)
3. Do NPC's have a level cap?
4. Can NPC's be Force Sensitive?
5. Can NPC's join a faction & earn a monthly salary from the faction (not the monthly cost paid by the owner to keep them--an actual salary for working in a faction)?
6. Aside from Rules & The Wiki Guide, where else can one find information on NPC's?

banner_new.jpg
1. Anything a PC can do that a NPC can also do will earn them XP, as a general rule of thumb.
2. Not a lot. Specific sections of the rules, or rules on NPCs, should list exactly what they can do.
3. No.
4. No.
5. Definitely not.
6. I believe these are the only two sources, although you should keep in mind that the Rules will have information on NPCs in sections other than the NPC section. E.g. Construction, Production, Mining.

1. I believe the only ways NPCs get XP is ground travel, mining, production, cosntruction, maybe recycling.
2. As Hal said, not very much. Only NPCs currently useful are: Builders, Dirt Haulers, Workers, maybe Recyclers.

Ellias_sig6.png
Kyp Arkanus

Sorry to just jump in on this but the subject of my question is npc related. Is there any way to give a npc, a one word name. I would like to create a custom Wookiee and want to give him a customary Wookiee name. Is this possible?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Christian Hall

I did with my wookiee, so yeah its possible.

Kyp Arkanus

If I may ask what did you name your Wookiee, and how long ago did you create him/her?

Christian Hall

I named him Shorbecca, and it was a few months ago, I think.

Kyp Arkanus

I've tried twice, it gives me an error message saying I need to supply two distinct names. I really hope there is a way around this.

Samael Darkfire

Simple, just make the second name lower case. (More of a guess than a solution. But it's worth a try at least.)

If I got a crap race when I purchased an NPC, can I fire it immediately or must I wait an entire month for it to disappear?

banner_new.jpg
Page 1 2 3