Year

Day

Time

18:25:13

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 12 Day 63 22:10
Vrik Dakari

I noticed a few names out there that I was curious to know a few things about, mainly if they are allowed or not. I've seen a few PCs that appear to have either a random name or possibly their RL name inputed backward. Is this allowed, or no? Just figured I'd ask, although I'm sure some answers will contain links to Rules pages. Just curious.

Edited By: Vrik Dakari on Year 12 Day 64 16:58
Year 12 Day 63 22:20
Ah brought a name that violated Rule 2.1/4 (You may not use the name of an existing character in a different universe:) to the attention of one of the ASims (maybe it was just one of the Team Members) but was told that unless that character requested a name change nothing was going to happen to them, even though it broke the rule

Year 12 Day 63 23:15
I'm not sure what you mean by "a random name" - my name is rather random, being a conglomeration of things that I don't think actually exist together in any universe.

If it gets through the application process (and isn't patently offensive), it stays until the player requests a handle change. Some older handles, especially the one-named ones, are a result of being created before the current handle rules.

Year 12 Day 63 23:49
Then why have that rule at all?

Year 12 Day 64 1:05
Ralgarrch

Because most illegal names do not make it past the joining process and there is an obvious difference between a few names slipping through and every other character having a stupid name.

Ral.png
Year 12 Day 64 2:14
Many "illegal" names are simply ones that existed prior to a given rule being introduced - such as Syn. They are grandfathered in, but can request a new, legal handle if they wish it.

Other illegal handles pass by the Join team because someone clicked a wrong button, didn't read the name correctly, or was just ignorant of the source (e.g. it wasn't until about the third "Skirata" that I became suspicious and googled it). We have, in the past, had a number of less capable team members, but the ASims try to pay attention to who keeps screwing up and prune the team to keep the ones that get through to a minimum.

However, as soon as a handle is approved, it generally becomes our fault for accepting it, rather than the submitter's fault for requesting an illegal handle, and we won't force them to change based on our mistake.

There is a notable exception to this in the case where a handle gets through that should have been prevented by the code, and only made it onto the list due to a bug. In this instance, and handle change can and will be forced.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 12 Day 64 14:02
Ok, thank you for explaining, ah wasn't trying to cause trouble, just noticed the name (first and last) of a lesser-known character in another 'universe' and was bringing it the attention of someone in charge because whoever accepted it might not have known

Year 12 Day 64 16:19
Vrik Dakari

What I meant by random name I meant like the name of an actor or something, but I suppise I should of left the "random" part of the statement out. So what I meant is like, I guess I'll have to make an example.

Okay, say Harrison Ford were to start playing. Would he be allowed to have the handle of Drof Nosirrah or perhaps Olos Nah? By random I guess I also sort of meant like a canonly existing name. Like Han Solo or say Bao Dur. (which, by the way looks kinda cool! Rud Oab)

So Hal, you kinda brought out another question for me then. Say someone had a name that was accepted, but was later found to be a SW canon name, like your "Skirata" example. Would this person then be forced to change their handle, or would they be left alone since it may have been overlooked or a simple mistake by the Join Team?

Year 12 Day 64 16:37
However, as soon as a handle is approved, it generally becomes our fault for accepting it, rather than the submitter's fault for requesting an illegal handle, and we won't force them to change based on our mistake.

- My last reply

Exception might be made is someone managed to get an offensive name past the join team. But any and all "Skirata"s that got by us are safe.

As for people reversing names - RL, canon, or otherwise - we generally don't pay that much attention. We do have a Nah Olos already, for example. I passively tend to read stuff backwards, and would probably (but no guarantees) catch something along the lines of Sinep Egral... but beyond that, not really.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 12 Day 64 16:46
Vrik Dakari

LOL! I'm saving that one for handles I plan on using if I get pwned when combat comes along.

I think that about answers my questions, as the only other one I can think of is obviously a no-no and would be denied as a player request when it was seen. That being a canon name being used for a player name.

Thanks for the answers, my curiousity has been fulfilled! Please lock, delete, feed to trolls, or whatever.

Year 12 Day 64 16:54
Please don't change the title of questions threads, in case someone comes along behind you with the same query.

Year 12 Day 64 16:57
Deleted Post
Vrik Dakari
Deleted by Vrik Dakari. Reason: Done
Year 12 Day 66 8:37
Wow I dont think I ever try to read names backwards. I guess Id be terrible at accepting joins.
Sinep? Never would have guessed. In fact I cant even wrap my head around why anyone would WANT that. It seems I have no troll-dar.
--Arch, out.

Year 12 Day 68 2:23
This brings a question to my mind, how come I can't have a name with a ' but other people can? I attempted to enter the name Ka Ruk'a, but it came back with a error message sayings names cannot have puctuations and must sound like a real name. What? It is a real name, canon characters have names like that and other PCs do so why can't I?

Please click or they'll die.

Adopt one today!
Year 12 Day 68 2:35
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Because other people can't. What you're seeing is a grave accent, not an apostrophe. ` instead of '.