Day

Time

18:53:54

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Page 1 2
Year 12 Day 66 16:16
Daze Nebulis

I've heard rumors of there being pirates in the galaxy. I wonder, do they pose a real threat, are there many of them, has any one come across any. Share some info on this topic of pillagery in the high spaces.

Year 12 Day 66 16:22
Combat is not currently implemented.

Draw your own conclusions.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 12 Day 66 18:58
Shuji Shizuka

That's a little unfair on the pirates Hal...

While it's true that there is no combat currently, "Pirates" do still exist, stealing and such, with some relatively (in)famous successes. As far as swashbuckling, raiding ships and sinking what dosen't surrender, no, not as such.

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
Year 12 Day 67 10:35
There's plenty of pirates, they're called the faction "Eidola" and they like to steal lots of stuff from people. They also like to steal the occasional planet, and post the occasional hilarious GNS post, and make a stink about admins in the forums.

"I like Justin Beiber Mash-Up's the best" is what I keep telling myself.

Edited By: Jesfa on Year 12 Day 75 2:19
Year 12 Day 67 11:16
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

There's plenty of people pretending to be pirates.*

Just like there's plenty pretending to be naval officers, mercenaries, assassins, and what-have-you. Since there's no combat most of it is just hot air. The pirates now are mostly just e-bay style scammers trying to get the other party to send them money or assets.

Year 12 Day 67 11:30
^
There is certainly no "pillagery in the high spaces" as was asked about.

It's also amazing how the IC propaganda machine continues to run here on the Question Centre, since the only Pirate-type faction we have is the Raptor Pirates...

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 12 Day 67 13:26
It's hardly propagandist to say Eidola are the only pirates, seeing as the Raptor Pirates are only pirates in faction-status if not in any other way.

Year 12 Day 67 14:28
Eidola aren't any more pirates than the Raptors. They're con men, like every other scammer in the game.

This is because we lack combat... which brings us neatly around to my original reply...

Year 12 Day 67 14:39
Calling them e-bay scammers is also not quite correct (though the vast majority of pirate attacks involve money and not murders) and Hals answer is not .... accurate. Though "Combat" has not been released, it is still possible to arrest and execute people (I recommend reading the Rules pages).
Pirates DO exist, and they HAVE killed people in the past. If you let them aboard your ship they may murder you.
Currently they cannot force their way through the exterior of your ship, but it is possible for people to break through locked doors on the interior.
I would definitely consider that "pillagery in the high spaces" but luckily most people are smart enough to avoid it. But it is possible and has happened before.
Eidola is the largest pirate group though they are technically a Government faction now in-game. Like the Barbary Pirates from North Africa to be OOC which I think this forum is.
Eidola is largely a bunch of scammers and cheats with a few spots of killers.
Im sure anyone that has ever traded can compile a similar list of ways they can hit you with their piracy.
Largely the easiest way for Scammers to make money is to agree to a trade and have you send money first and then wont send the product in return.
Also possible, they will ask you to assign them a ship (to see if it really exists, used to be/sometimes still is common practice for regular traders) and will already be on location and use a tractor beam to suck it aboard a capital ship where you can never get it back (unless sometimes they'll let you pay a ransom to return it).
Another thing, trick you into going to a shielded planet and then preventing you from leaving once you arrive (until 1. forever or 2. you decide to "die" and drop your character after 3 weeks and start over or 3. maybe they will let you pay them money to be released)
also that can be done with a ship, trick you into coming aboard and fly away where you can never get off again.
What else can pirates do....
Ah there are also Looters, which will join a faction and play nice and pretend to be friendly until they are given too much control then they will rob the faction blind and run away with the money, ships, planets, you name it. These however likely will not affect you (except if you are in a faction ship that gets looted and you no longer have control and cannot pilot and you might be stuck in space for someone to come kill you or rescue you).
Oh another one, they can pause construction of a partially completed ship/vehicle/entity. A ship can take months to finish building so a lot of times people will sell them as soon as they start in order to be able to pay for the next round of materials to make the next ship, or they just to get paid faster, so they will sell the partially constructed ship and let it finish building in your ownership. However the person that owns the shipyard or factory can simply pause the partially completed ship and you may never get what you paid money for. They also might demand a ransom to unpause construction.

So as Hal said yes Combat has not been released, but as evidenced by ^^^^ there are still pirates and YES they can still harm you and/or your wallet.
Did I miss anything?
--Arch, out.

Year 12 Day 67 14:57
Did I miss anything? 

Only the fact that there are other people just as/far more likely to kill you than pirates, if they catch you in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In fact, the "pirates" are less likely to bother with the average random newbie, because there's no sport or profit in it. Faction leaders, people with influential friends, people who boast it couldn't possibly happen to them... these are the people most likely to be at risk.
And it's STILL a confidence scam, since they need to first convince you to trust them in order for them to be able to do anything.

In fact nothing on your list is the exclusive domain of "pirates", nor would I even go so far as to say that "pirates" are the primary source of anything you mentioned.

Year 12 Day 67 16:11
But Eidola uses pirate hats and eye-patches and cutlasses!

Year 12 Day 67 16:41
There's plenty of people pretending to be pirates.*

- Ten

QED

Year 12 Day 67 16:43
./me hugs Hal

Year 12 Day 100 0:05
Zenzo Doolbgouny

I would not consider just people who claim to be pirates as pirates .One could also argue that many people commit acts of piracy such as stated the con game or the scamming but also stealing from people during business transactions or even while employed and lets not forget the kidnapping no matter how successful or unsuccessful these are all acts of piracy thus going beyond a common thief or criminal. I personally consider anyone who does such an acts to be a Pirate regardless of their affiliation or self proclaimed status or connection to the infamous pirate government or even an actual designated pirate faction or non faction group and they are often delt with as such.

Zenzo

Year 12 Day 100 0:20
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

You consider conning, scamming, and stealing going beyond a thief or criminal?

Year 12 Day 100 5:52
Pirates usually do those things with a touch of violence thrown in (and copious amounts of drinking and debauchery): take away the violence and they are just common thieves

Year 12 Day 100 9:55
Zenzo Doolbgouny

I am simply stating one does not need to be a self proclaimed anything to commit an act of piracy. People who do such things are often dealt with in such a way normally dealt with regarding pirates. A gangster holds someone hostage he is a gangster but if a traditionally speaking non gangster does it he is a pirate. Sentients are what they feel they are but their actions can often dictate the labels we put upon them. In the big scheme of things its all unique to us what we consider each threat or problem and of course again what the specific criminal feels they are motivated by.

Zenzo

Year 12 Day 100 11:24
From: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/piracy?show=0&t=1299694980

Definition of PIRACY
: an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery
: robbery on the high seas
a : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b : the illicit accessing of broadcast signals 

I look forward to examples of anyone in SWC fulfilling one of these definitions, and therefore counting as a pirate based upon committing acts of piracy.

Year 12 Day 100 11:29
Xu Xlaar Vivan

We do have boats. I'm sure they will figure something out.

Year 12 Day 101 14:59
Vrik Dakari

Well, metaphorically speaking that is, wouldn't space and the Galaxy in this case be considered "the high seas"? When you think about it, it sort of fits. Like, the Earth is mostly water, which is where RL piracy occurs. Then empty space is most of what the Galaxy is made of, where our piracy occurs.

Now I feel smart, sort of anyway. :)

Page 1 2