Year

Day

Time

13:17:02

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 12 Day 73 17:47
Vrik Dakari

So it has come to my attention, and probably anyone else's who browses and helps out the new players, that the topic of many conversations is "How do I make credits/money in Combine?". Seeing as how often this is brought up, and that I have already constructed this elsewhere, I figured that I would compile this list here for any new player that feels that they need a tutorial of sorts on how to earn money quickly and effectively.

1.) Join a faction. Most factions will provide their members with either credits or other entities such as ships out of generosity for your work and activity. However, factions are NOT required to do so. This is done on a strictly generous basis, and should never lead to you or others asking for more. Be happy with what you get, because it is up to the faction both that you get paid at all and how much.

2.) Start Trading on Centrepoint Market (CPM). This is one of the easiest ways of earning credits. Simply create a CPM account, and start selling your wares. Now, starting off you may not have a lot of credits to spend on stuff, which is understandable. So, what you'll want to do is purchase assets over CPM that are cheap or affordable, and then sell them for more than what you bought them for. i.e. I bought a ship for 3 million credits, then turned around and sold it for 3.75 million credits.

3.) Start racking up CP's (Combine Points). Another popular way of earning credits fast is through the CP Exchange. Every time you either vote for Combine on one of the provided sites or donate money to them through PayPal, you receive Combine Points in exchange for doing so. These can then be used to purchase ships, droids, vehicles, etc., which you can then sell on CPM (see above). This is a very popular and effective way of getting credits because no credit purchases are required. Just earn enough CP's to buy an entity, go to any powered facility that said entity requires you to be at, exchange the required CP's for the entity, make a listing on CPM for the entity, and either sell it right away or list it as an auction. That simple!

4.) Start trading in the Trading Lounge and Commerce RPG Centre threads. This is another way to sell what you have to offer, only you will not be able to have a reputation on CPM by making your listings here. More often than not, special custom made items are for sale here by numerous people.

5.) Make a custom item or art shop. Although this will most definitely require skills in Photoshop or some other image editing program, it is a very reputable way of earning credits. All custom images can be applied to entities or turned into entities themselves through the CP Exchange System (see 3.), so will require a bit more work on your end. Custom work is very sought after on Combine, whether it be special items that are not found in-game normally or a custom "paint job" on someone's ship. So this type of work will receive a large amount of credits. Some very smart sellers even provide the entity in which the work is meant for, meaning they will sell a custom made ship's art along with the corresponding ship.

Just realize that with this method, your work must be good. If you have very good skills with Photoshop or possible a 3D program, then the chances are you can get quite rich off of these sales. However, you'll want to start off small as opposed to automatically making your items sold for millions of credits. Another option that you may want to take into consideration is to tell that customers should pay only what they feel is deserved, rather than having a set amount of credits due upon completion. This can become quite lucrative, and your demand may or may not skyrocket, depending on your skills. You must be careful with this however, because there are cheap people out there, More than likely though, you will receive a very handsome sum on art work.

6.) Use the Gambling Hut forum to start a raffle. You can create your own game like people have in the past or just make a raffle for some entities you wish to get rid of. When you start a raffle up, be sure you make it so the ratio of tickets sold and price to entity's average CPM value, is more than 1:1. This meaning you'll want to start an auction that will produce more money than what you'll lose. To better explain this, I'll provide an example:

A Playing Character (PC) in Combine has a Skipray Blastboat that he has decided to get rid of. Rather than selling it on CPM, he's decided that he would like to open up a raffle for the ship that has the potential to earn more money than an auction on CPM would produce. The average CPM Market Value for a Skipray is just over 4.75 million credits. So, the PC therefore must sell enough tickets at a high enough price to earn them more than 4.75 million credits in order to turn a higher profit. Below is a possible way they could set this up:

Skipray Raffle!

Today I would like to offer to you a fine Skipray up for raffle. Tickets will be 150,000 credits each and 35 will be sold. Good luck!

Now, this is only a loose example that I have completely just improvised. If this raffle were to happen, and every ticket were to be sold (which very rarely occurs), then if you do the math the raffle holder would earn themselves 5,250,000 credits, well above the CPM average. That is why certain ticket purchase deals are then offered, such as the first poster gets a free first ticket, buy two get one free, first three posts get one ticket free when they buy one, etc. For a raffle to be more successful, then these ticket deals are highly recommended. As well as this, you want to be very sure that you will turn a positive profit from making ticket deals, and you want to make sure ticket prices and total amount of tickets are reasonable. No one is going to take part of a raffle that has 100 tickets at 100,000 credits each, but may take part in one that is 50 tickets at 200,000 credits each. It is important to make the totals look fair, even though it may not be at all.

7.) Make a custom literary works business. Although people may be serious about playing, some will also want to be sure that their character has a good biography and description. Some realize that they may or not be a good writer, and will seek out this type of business. Depending on how well you can write and just how descriptive you can be, this can get you more than a few credits. Some things to realize when doing this is that the customer is always right. This being so, you'll need to show adequate work in the past to be taken seriously. As well as this, you'll be subject to providing work that you may have for them so far. This obviously will require quite a bit of trust, because the person would easily be able to run off with your work and leave you unpaid. Provided you do your work well, the customer is pleased, and they actually pay you, sums for literary work can climb to the multi-millions. As with custom artwork and entities above, you may want to start out with telling the customer to only pay you what they feel is deserved. Then when you have a good enough reputation, consider setting up a set pricing set up depending on what it is that you're asking. Some deliberation with yourself might be required to set these prices, taking into consideration what you have been paid in the past.

8.) Become a faction sitter. If you have ever been searching in either the Classifieds or Positions Vacant forums at all, you may have come across factions looking for "sitters". Faction Sitters are people that are hired by certain factions to "sit" in their faction. This is usually conducted by factions to either maintain the member requirements, keep them active, or a possible combination of the two. Some will hire you and you may or may not have to be an active contributing member. Some are paid quite well, some not so much. If the faction you are hired under is a well of and wealthy one, then your pay may be larger than that of a faction who is struggling to recruit members and keep themselves thriving.

Although there are also many more lucrative ways of earning credits that I may not know of, those are some of the most effective means of making a living here.

Please also realize that some other means of making credits are frowned upon and very rude. Although ransoming off PC's is not against the rules, it is obviously not the best way to build a rep. These situations, however, may open the door to a large credit flow if the person being ransomed off is of importance to a certain faction. Another is scamming, which includes, but is not limited to, posting a false listing on CPM, having the buyer send first, and either not making over the entity or not having it in the first place.

To avoid this happening to you as well, it is highly recommended that you use a middle. A middle is someone... that is the middleman. Both buyer and seller send the agreed upon assets to a middle, where the middleman will makeover the credits or Nova Crystals (another form of currency used to purchase items) to the seller and the item over to the purchaser. Compensation is not always necessary to middles, as some do this on a strictly volunteer basis, but donations would obviously be accepted and welcomed.

I hope that this all proves useful to you new players or players that have decided to start trading and so forth. If you know of a LEGITIMATE way of earning credits that is not on the list above, feel free to either DM it to me so that I may list it on here or make a post yourself. If you are worried about not receiving credit for what you send to me in a DM, I assure you, you will receive the prestige you deserve.

Edited By: Vrik Dakari on Year 12 Day 83 11:23
Year 12 Day 74 1:05
I'd add dont expect large amount of credits for art jobs when you start, unless you are really good. I started on 100k per custom on average too.

Benedicta Per Gratiam Jou
MeandMine.png
--> Lvl 5 FI Operator - Free Service <--

Year 12 Day 82 12:04
Vrik Dakari

EDIT FOR ABOVE: All fixed, thanks guys!

Edited By: Vrik Dakari on Year 12 Day 83 11:24
Year 12 Day 82 19:07
Unless I am mistaken,

1.) Join a faction. Factions are required to give their active members a salary in the form of either monetary or asset gain. This meaning, if you are an active member of a faction, you will receive credits or items such as ships, vehicles, droids, etc. 

I believe, although I am not certain, No where in the rules state that it is mandatory for a faction to hand out a salary to a member. Its out of Generousity

EDIT: Fixed the Quote

Edited By: Gavin Rollan on Year 12 Day 82 20:15

msGAc.gif
411-6154-ubd2908.png
zhao.png
Year 12 Day 82 20:10
That's correct. Factions are not required to pay their members.

Year 12 Day 82 20:32
But, if a faction doesn't pay it's members at least something they won't be a faction for long

Year 12 Day 82 20:44
Its Generousity at the end of the day Tiali.

And it depends whether its volenteer work, not all NFG's, or even CMG's pay.

msGAc.gif
411-6154-ubd2908.png
zhao.png
Year 12 Day 82 21:46
^

There was a time when pay wasn't even possible in SWC. There are plenty of factions that have people decline pay, because they actually give a damn about the group, not lining their own pockets.

Year 12 Day 82 21:51
Shuji Shizuka

Wait,

These include holding ransoms on a character, which will eventually get you banned and a Sim News is sure to ensue your ban. 

What? When? People ransom off PC's all the time.

This user is currently in the process of moving, and so is semi-inactive.
Year 12 Day 82 22:32
What Shuji said.

It's an in character action. Unless you're hunting down the player in real life, kidnapping them, and holding them for ransom. Which will not only earn you a ban, but also some prison time.

Year 12 Day 82 23:30
There are plenty of factions that have people decline pay, because they actually give a damn about the group, not lining their own pockets. 

Only if they are getting their deathstick supplies funded somewhere else

Year 12 Day 82 23:41
Thank you, for proving you're an idiot. =)

Year 12 Day 82 23:49
We all knew Tiali was an idiot to start with =)

Vrik, although I can see you put time into your post, go and double check your facts :P We dont want new players starting with some falsified info.

msGAc.gif
411-6154-ubd2908.png
zhao.png
Year 12 Day 83 11:17
Vrik Dakari

Alright, sorry for all of that. I think I got the information on holding PC's for ransom mixed up with the Sim News post a while back where a character was being arrested, then let go and arrested again to lengthen their respawn time. THAT would get you banned, correct? Anyway, I'm going back to the stuff I messed up and fixing it, thank you all for the info! I'll be sure to tie up any of these loose ends in the future on something kinda big in SWC.

Year 12 Day 83 13:29
Yes. Using the A/E feature to punish the PLAYER in such a way is punishable.

Year 12 Day 83 14:43
Vrik Dakari

Ok, I think I got it now. Everything's fixed to the best of my knowledge now, just let me know if something is still amiss or needs adding.

Year 12 Day 87 19:49
This can and will greatly help new people. I think this should be stickied'.

Year 12 Day 87 21:44
Vrik Dakari

If any of the mods would like to, I'd more than welcome it. It would definitely grab the newer players attention if it were a sticky, hopefully anyway. Maybe in all caps like they like to do? So if one the mods for this section would like to use it, by all means, go for it. I'll send them a DM as well to invite them to.

Thanks again to everyone that helped fix this up!