Year

Day

Time

06:26:56

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 7 Day 45 4:32
Lumos Cloud

I didn't join a faction and just started in Corellia, but now I find theres no ways of gaining xp or even making sense of the game. Is there anything at all to do for fun without a faction?

Year 7 Day 45 4:37
Lumos Cloud

Every faction says not to pick your starting location and now that I did in my noobish way, I'm screwed. No faction wants me and I have no idea where to start to play.

Year 7 Day 45 5:24
Tsk, that's far from true. Factions prefer it if you can start at their location, but it isn't required; any decent faction will be able to transport you, so don't worry about it. Just look for a faction you would like to join and I'm sure most factions would be happy to have another member.

No, there isn't much you can do freelance, at least not immediately, since you won't have much money or a ship or anything. It definitely helps to start earning some salary and flying around a bit. Once you have a few assets of your own you can start trading or something of the sort to support yourself, but this is a faction-centric game.

Edited By: Syn on Year 7 Day 45 5:25

swcforumsig

Year 7 Day 49 23:22
What Syn said. Most factions WILL still pick you up.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 7 Day 61 12:42
David Kellar

I know that the RA has a naval wing dedicated to picking up new players and then providing basic training and equipment and I'm sure that other factions do as well. If they don't ... well I wouldn't join that faction.

Year 7 Day 62 0:48
Right. Because small factions really need entire fleets devoted to it, right? *rolls eyes*

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 7 Day 62 13:21
David Kellar

Fleet? who said anything about fleet?

fleet n. A number of warships operating together under one command

wing n. A) Either the left or right flank of an army or a naval fleet.
B) An air force unit larger than a group but smaller than a division.

Year 7 Day 62 18:13
Which is still a large division.

But hey, I'd also recommend not joining a faction that takes more than 12 hours to accept new members. Proves they're not on the ball. Even if they do "security checks".

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 7 Day 63 23:51
Rika Lawson

A wing in any airforce is usually made up of several squadrons, that would make (using IRL terms) a couple of dozen vehicles. So a wing of YTs here would be quite a fleet lol

Year 7 Day 65 11:38
David Kellar

I must be out of touch in the galaxy then, because the wing that picks up new members is far smaller than any of the other battle groups we have, and the recovery team is not small. We must have much more firepower that I thought.

Forward the RA!

Year 7 Day 66 12:30
Or your faction just has no knowledge of military formations (not suprising).

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 7 Day 69 13:36
David Kellar

Practical military formations and tactics are actually rather well understood, however keep in mind Wilhelm that this is not a fully functional game yet and as such building things and getting people into your faction is rather vital. I have no doubt that when combat comes out that there will be a re-design of the battle groups and how each faction deploys their fleets. At the moment this is proven to be a rather efficient system for us. Your faction may not be a natural draw for new players, but the RA is just that usually motivated by the movies and such. Many people join the Combine wanting to work for the RA or Jedi initially, and since there is no Jedi Praxum anymore, there is a high volume of demand to join. Thus we have had to expand the recovery wing substantially. I don't see how someone of your reputed intelligence would have difficulty understanding this.

Year 7 Day 69 16:11
He's disputing that 3 or so ships set aside for picking up newbies should be referred to as a wing, which is usually defined as a military formation consisting of several dozen craft.

It's not a hard concept to grasp. You seem to be the one not understanding the arguments levelled against your group, not the other way around.

Also, upping it from 3 ships to 5, or whatever it is, doesn't change the fact that it isn't big enough to be referred to as a wing.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 7 Day 70 18:13
David Kellar

I know what a wing is and I know the rough amount of ships assigned to pick up new players, there are around a "wing" of ships that are deployed to that task. I am not going to be listing off the names and locations of them here obviously. It just seems suprising that you can't either understand that I get what your trying to say or . . .

Better yet Hal, define the number of ships you think constitutes a wing and I will tell you if we have more than that.

According to the original numbering system that the Royal Navy uses for ships and fighters there are approximately 16 craft in a standard combat wing. Now I am a bit of a history buff and I know my combat formation history. This is pre WWII data as they drastically increased the aircraft numbers in wings after the start or WWII, however the title is numerically valid. The number of aircraft in a wing today used by the US airforce runs around 85, though before the development of the Enterprise class carriers they really only carried about 30 or so craft.

Edited By: David Kellar on Year 7 Day 71 13:09
Year 7 Day 70 22:13
So the RA is based on WW2 military information?

Interesting. I'll bear that in mind in future. =D

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 7 Day 70 23:25
Raith Endac

Yeah. Rebels just reaserched the jet engine! Pretty soon they'll be churning out revese-engineered Me-262s. While a few dozen wings of those couldnt stand up to a flight of My'tils, they'll probably wipe out the TIEs that will be sent against them, so no worries.

Year 7 Day 71 12:53
David Kellar

Not quite Hal, though your determined sarcasm is amusing, not to mention your assumptions or lack of complete reading, but we do posses a well stuctured military system, unlike some of the other factions in the Combine. We have squadrons, wings, divisions, regiments, fleets, (yes plural) etc.

Though at this point this thread is quite off topic.

Year 7 Day 71 17:16
Mr Kellar, do you know what the difference between the RA ad GE is in the Combine? The RA keep a low profile and don't make themselves look stupid in public. You might want to think about that in future.

Year 7 Day 72 2:47
Closing this thread, which has rapidly strayed offtopic.

Bottom line is, any faction worth anything will transport its members regardless of their starting location. (: In some cases it just may take a while longer, since many factions have ships located directly at their HQ locations for new members.

swcforumsig