Year

Day

Time

19:04:28

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Does it cost money to run a multiplayer browser game
So i recently became interested in making my own multiplayer browser game with php and i was wondering if i needed money for buying things or could i just make a website on one of those make a free website sites. thanks

Hunters have this pattern of becoming hunted.
Kendall Holm

Yes it costs money. Most of the free website hosts do not allow you to use php. Then the ones that do allow for you to use php they throttle you site or put limits on the size of your site

SWC3dsUser.png
SWC runs a dedicated server, maybe two (one for the dev server), so that obviously costs money. Depending on your playerbase that may not be necessary, but to use PHP and mySQL databases you're going to have to pay for some type of hosting.

Not to mention the time it takes to code, create images, web design, etc, which can't necessarily be measured dollar-for-dollar but certainly has a cost of its own.

Start off small, if it becomes popular the players will follow to a new location allowing you to grow

I just don;t really know how i would make the game since i don;t have my own server and not much money.

Possibly start it off on one of the free make-your-own-game sites

It's perfectly easy to run a small game or whatever off of a shared hosting account. I pay about $4 a month and have unlimited databases, subdomains, email accounts, and a very large bandwidth and storage cap (then again I've been a loyal customer for quite a while and some of that is legacy).

I think the biggest issue is ability. If you have the ability in PHP, MySQL and whatnot, the starting server costs shouldn't be much more than the price of a McDonald's value meal.

bad part is i'm not the best programmer at all. I just come up with ideas.

thought of another idea. I could just make a the game run on forumns that i can get for FREE!!!!! Now i just have to decide if thats what i really want to do?

Jesfa

A similar issue that you see insanely common on game mod forums, people that have amazing ideas for mods, but have absolutely no modeling, coding, or skills in the field whatsoever.

LoraxSig3copy.png
yes that would be me *takes a bow*

Kendall Holm

That is when you pick up a book and learn

SWC3dsUser.png
Brassica Trefoil

Pitch your ideas to the SWC devs. Maybe they could code an "In-flight Entertainment" button on the Ship Controls page, allowing long-haul pilots a distraction from those interminable Cap. Ship flights.

Mini-games plus Mini-bar = WIN!!! :D