20:19:19

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Why is it so many ships. . .
Page 1 2
Year 13 Day 104 16:56
Gort Horth

. . .have hangar bays despite they can't land? There are lots of them and I can't imagine what a hangar bay would be for on a ship that can't land. Out of all the vehicles that use hangar bays, there are at best a handful of speeders that could make it to atmo and dock inside a C3 for example. A T-16, a T-47, a V-Wing--doesn't seem like reason to build a hangar bay into any ship, let alone a dozen different types of ship. I'm missing something. . .

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
Year 13 Day 104 17:56
I think the best way to explain this would be to use the Imperial Star Destroyers showing up at Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back as an example. The star destroyers arrived to conquer the rebel base, however, they could not penetrate the defensive shield with orbital bombardment. Their decision then was to land troops on the planet. To accomplish that task they had to have landing shuttles docked on the star destroyers and vehicles aboard those shuttles. The Imperial Star Destroyer is an ideal example because the ship was designed to be useful in planetary subjugation. In general, having hangar bays simplifies the transfer of vehicles between landing shuttles aboard a starship. Also, it stands to reason that repairs to damaged or broken vehicles would more likely occur in a hangar bay rather than aboard ships shuttling vehicles and troops constantly between a capital in orbit and the planet below.

Year 13 Day 104 17:56
How about this.
The Empire finds the Rebels on Hoth. They want to kill them. They take a fleet of Star Destroyers. It turns out the Rebels have a super strength shield and it would take forever to crack from an orbital bombardment.
LUCKILY the Star Destroyer has a hangar! It can bring along AT-ATs.
Problem solved, question answered.

And before you say "well why dont they just keep the AT-ATs in the landing ships, and dock the landing ships in the Docking Bay?" I will answer. You can only land the AT-ATs in the dropships, there is not enough room to do servicing, refueling, loading.

Year 13 Day 104 17:57
... I cant believe we posted the same thing at the same time, and both answered it in two parts... and I cant believe I posted mine 2nd.

Year 13 Day 104 18:00
As to how you would use them, dock the vehicle in a ship thats on the ground. Ascend to orbit where the other ship is and dock one ship in the other. Then kick the vehicle out and into the ship that cannot land.

Of course you need sufficient room for both ship and vehicle, but most should have something for it.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 104 18:13
Year 13 Day 105 12:15
Gort Horth

Hehhh. . .sorry but those were all such pathetic answers they make me laugh.

Be serious a moment. We're talking about putting aside a fantastic amount of space aboard a ship that cannot then be used for anything else. It's a stupid choice to have a hangar bay on a ship that can't land. It can only be used by vehicles that can dock at great altitude. No ground vehicles, barges, boats, subnmarines, ships and almost none of the speeders.

There are only 3 vehicles that can use it, the T-16, T-47 and V-Wing. That's it.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
Year 13 Day 105 13:22
We're talking about putting aside a fantastic amount of space aboard a ship that cannot then be used for anything else. 

That's not true. SWC doesn't set aside a certain amount of space for a hangar bay; it just uses the overall weight and volume capacities of the ship. If you cram that full of ships, you won't have room for vehicles, and vice versa. So whether or not a hangar bay exists doesn't make any real difference to the ship and what it has the capacity to contain otherwise.

Edited By: Syn on Year 13 Day 105 13:23

swcforumsig

Year 13 Day 105 13:59
The answers given are viable Gort. It's unfortunate you have your mind already made up.

Edit: You should also be more respectful of the individuals who took the time to reply.

Edited By: Elijah Shoryyhn on Year 13 Day 105 14:08
Year 13 Day 105 15:03
Once again, Gort is rather dickish about something he doesn't actually understand?

Year 13 Day 105 15:45
Dragomir Kies

Hard to put it in better words than Mikels

Year 13 Day 105 16:10
I believe it's been summed up nicely by the predecessing.

Edited By: Gavin von Ismay on Year 13 Day 105 16:21

syngav.png
Year 13 Day 105 18:19
Also, not sure where people are getting the whole pick up flying vehicles - no vehicles can enter orbit, only atmosphere at the highest (on their own power). Ships that can reach the atmo level, can also reach the ground which makes it completely irrelevant - ships can either go everywhere, or cannot enter a planet at all, ground or atmo layers.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 105 18:33
Has that always been the case Ellias? When ah started ah rented one of those ball-speeders and then went up to meet mah ship, ah always remembered leaving the speeder in orbit, but maybe it was just Atmo (but if the faction was able to bring the ship to Atmo, why didn't they bring it all the way to ground?)

Year 13 Day 105 21:52
It appears either Gort is trolling, or doesnt know what he is talking about. Likely both, the way he called a correct answer --2 identical correct answers to be specific-- "pathetic"
Ellias you are clearly correct, Gort did say
there are at best a handful of speeders that could make it to atmo and dock inside a C3 for example. 
so he doesnt even understand that a C-3 cannot go into Atmo. Which means he clearly does not know what he is talking about, because it would have been ever better evidence for his "Non-landing Capital hangars are d-u-m dumb theory"

Tiali, think about it, if you can go above the atmosphere, you are in space. And if you are a vehicle in space doesnt that make you a spaceship?

Year 13 Day 106 11:00
Gort Horth

Well Archy, The difference between us is, when I don't know I ask a question. When you don't know, you pretend you have the answer. I know enough to know that very few people understand that ships that cannot land, also cannot go into atmo. I would not have assumed this. It's not in the "rules" and it's not true of the spacecraft we have in real life. Orbital probes like MRO use aerobreaking which requires them to go into atmo, but they cannot land.

And it is noteworthy when you consider there are a dozen ships with hangar bays that appear under no conditions could ever be used, and that this condition has obtained for years. The answers back to explain this were indeed all forced and fail under their own weight I'm not being a troll when I admit they make me laugh. They were laughable. Fact is, someone designed these dozen or so ships with hangar bays that seem cannot ever be used.

Lighten up and stop acting like jerks, folks. This is "forever beta". If you can't take criticism go take an art therapy class.

Edited By: Gort Horth on Year 13 Day 106 11:43

Year 13 Day 106 11:10
Christian Hall

I honestly just assumed that the hanger bays were there so when I docked my Dynamic into my cap ship, I could undock my speeder to free up space on the Dy.
That would also allow for transferring vehicles in space, without having to be at a space station once docking ports are implemented.

Year 13 Day 106 11:13
Gort Horth

Finally, an answer that isn't forced and pathetic. Mr. Hall gets the award and the rest have egg on their face for answering when they didn't know the answer.

Mikal gets a full omelet's worth for being dickish without giving an answer. FYI Mikal, this is the question center. Of course I'm writing about something I don't understand. If I understood, would I be asking a question?

From the guy wearing a red penis hat in March. . .sheesh.

Special honors go to Ellias, who obviously understood this one use but I did not personally understand what he only implied, which is that the use he describes allows transfer of vehicles in space. That was not a strained answer either. and i should note that both Elijah and Archy seem to have understood this, but were both unable to say it.

Edited By: Gort Horth on Year 13 Day 106 12:08

Year 13 Day 106 12:08
I don't care if people ask questions. I answer them all the time. You, on the other hand, say things with no justification and act like a proper cock to anyone who tries to help you, even though admittedly you often open your mouth with no idea what you're talking about. In the combat thread, you were consistently rebuffed because you were writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of diatribe against the feature that you didn't understand and had, by your own account, not even had a chance to personally use.

Once again, you come here and post a question and receive three very good answers. Of course, not content with that, you come back with insults and yet another diatribe where you demonstrate that you fail to comprehend a feature entirely (namely that hangar bays have space "set aside" for them). To underscore the point, I was just recently on board a Star Destroyer, in a hangar bay where some AT-ATs were sitting quite easily outside of any sort of ground-to-space carri shuttle. Quite different from your observation that the feature could "never be used", n'est-ce pas?

And I like my hat, which has no effect on either my intelligence or the validity of my observations; two qualities of which to are demonstrably lacking.

Year 13 Day 106 12:18
Gort Horth

Okay, Mikal. You're right. My mistake. When I look back at the answers given, several of them do indeed seem to hold within them this kernel of truth, that without a hangar bay, one cannot have vehicles aboard, nor transfer them. And you're right. It was MY MISUNDERSTANDING that these answers seemed hopelessly convoluted and strained, when in fact they were at worst imperfectly expressed.

The mistake I was laboring under, was that any docking bay would have space for vehicles, and that a hangar bay is essentially the boarding ramp one never uses in space. This is actually how the game functions as I'll explain below, but in the coding, not so. Seems to me really this is again a coding thing about what is and is not allowed. No boarding ramp required for a hangar bay that never sees use on the ground.

And you're right. I was unnecessarily hasty and judgmental and those I insulted or offended all have my apologies.

However: "Of course, not content with that, you come back with insults and yet another diatribe where you demonstrate that you fail to comprehend a feature entirely (namely that hangar bays have space "set aside" for them). To underscore the point, I was just recently on board a Star Destroyer, in a hangar bay where some AT-ATs were sitting quite easily outside of any sort of ground-to-space carri shuttle. Quite different from your observation that the feature could "never be used", n'est-ce pas?"

In coding, perhaps there is no space "set aside", but on any real ship, or even a SWC expression of a ship, there most certainly is. I'm currently flying a Bayonet, and the docking bay and hangar bay each are their own rooms--hence space "set aside" and in the SWC representation, these two rooms are not connected--so how does one use the hangar bay to move vehicles between ships? Fact is on the Bayo, the experience is that the vehicles, of which I have 4 stored; act as if they were in the docking bay with the ships, despite they display in the hangar bay. Hence my mistake above.

There are lots of these sorts of inconsistancies that lead people to make mistakes as to how the game works and since the answers are almost never in the rules, people like me are forced to ask about them. I get when Syn says that there is no space "set aside" for a hangar bay, but until he says it, is there some reason these sorts of things ought to make sense? And you now have me curious--are the docking and hangar bays on a destroyer attached? Otherwise, how does it make sense that the AT-AT's standing in the hangar bay, ever have access to the ships in the docking bay?

BTW, I'm not asking any of these questions to be a pain in the ass. They turn out to be significant issues. For instance, are you aware that one can break into ships using a vehicle to gain entrance to the hangar bay, when one is locked out and can't gain entrance with a ship into the docking bay? I did this the day before i asked the question I did. I'd like to know more about these things for good reasons. Fact is, it appears Void Spiders are the perfect assault vehicles for ships in space, since they dock in hangar bays and the security measures normally used to keep out the unwanted through access of the docking bays do not apply.

Edited By: Gort Horth on Year 13 Day 106 13:12

Page 1 2