289 are online

Year

Day

Time

09:19:09

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Factory leeching RMs from nearby facilities?
Ordinii Gotha

I recently started a production run in a factory. Factory was in a city with other factories that were idle but had RMs in them. The factory I was in had exactly 2 x the RMs for a ship, yet I was able to produce more than 2 because I could use RMs from the surrounding facilities.

Is this really intentional?

Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Yes.

Ordinii Gotha

Hmm, so I can be in one facility and somehow teleport several T's of raw materials from across the city, but as a person I need to enter/exit numerous buildings to move myself the same distance? Doesn't seem very logical...

Umbeck Traxer

Why is it hard to assume the factory has a driver or two on staff?

Ordinii Gotha

It's not hard to believe at all, except that "virtual characters" doesn't do that kind of work for you anywhere else except maybe NPC transport. In addition, if I understand this correctly, you can actually start production of more assets than the factory could hold RMs for in the first place, which is a kind of exploit like the MTC was.

Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

It's not an exploit at all, it works completely according to the rules. As it is intended to work.

Ordinii Gotha

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Alexander von Ismay

Shipyards also leech from adjacent yards. As long as they touch, they leech. (Not a chain effect, only the ones touching the producing yard can be leeched from).

"Whenever feasible, one should always eat the rude."
Umbeck Traxer

For an additional example, when you construct a facility, you can have the RMs in a hangar or other facility, in a ship, or in a vehicle at any location in the city, and they do not have to be directly in your location.
At least according to the rules, but I have never actually put that to the test because I always use a BFF bulk anyway to carry the builders so I might as well carry the mats too at the same location.

Alexander von Ismay

It should be possible. iirc, multiple BFFs can build one station (to avoid using MTCs/Tabders)

"Whenever feasible, one should always eat the rude."
Ordinii Gotha

Yes, built a station once that required 3 BFFs in the same location, yet this doesn't hold true for factories and shipyards. It's what puzzled me.

Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

Yes, it works that way. (Though I think that space construction only counts materials aboard ships, not ones stored aboard other stations. Not sure whether that's an oversight or an intentional limitation.)

As far as I know, the other freighters all have to be on the same square, don't they? Could be quite hard to stack a few stations in the place where you try to build a new one - so I am not sure how it should be possible to use RMs from other stations for that, but perhaps I am missing something...

U break. Me fix. U pay. Business OK?
Riipa Tinka - TF citizen Lvl1