Year

Day

Time

22:13:43

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 13 Day 243 6:48
Nah Olos

Can someone explain "rarity" to me, with regards to creatures?

I'm not 100% sure I'm getting it, by reading the rules page.

Creature Rules, defines rarity as such "Rarity - How hard it is to find the creature throughout the galaxy"

When I'm looking at specific creatures though, I'm seeing things with a rarity of "0", "5", "10", "15", etc...

Is that on a scale? The higher the number the more rare a creature (or vice versa)? How does that number work itself into chances of finding said creature?

Thanks for your time.

"LEON!!!"
Year 13 Day 243 6:53
I'm not sure its actually used.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 243 7:54
Same with Aggression, i'm sure?

2zdt4r5.png
Year 13 Day 243 8:07
Aye. Once the full ground combat with creatures attacking on their own, and homeworlds setup correctly, they will likely be used.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 243 13:28
Excellent, thanks for answering, Ellias.

2zdt4r5.png
Year 13 Day 243 13:35
Potentially, higher rarity = harder to find. A rarity 10 for example might be easy to find over a rarity 80...or vice versa.

Aggression is how likely the creature is to probably stay and fight or want to tear you apart on sight. Higher numbers, more psychotic.

Edited By: Calgor Grim on Year 13 Day 243 13:35

You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door.
Year 13 Day 243 21:01
Nah Olos

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.

"LEON!!!"
Year 13 Day 244 5:26
Jesfa

Further clarification:

Currently it is not used, as Ellias guessed, nor is aggression. However, as we progress with ground combat, this is likely to change.

Rarity will determine "commoness" of the races spawn, and aggression will determine, most likely, the range at which you have to enter to "anger" it without attacking it.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 13 Day 244 5:46
As an addition to this question, will creatures with home planets only appear on that planet or will it affect their rarity.

MeshSig1
jtnrs7.png
Year 13 Day 244 7:58
Initially it was planned to allow them to only spawn there (and worked that way when initially introduced), but I seem to remember discussions since then pointing to it just increasing spawn rate, along the lines of NPC hiring.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 245 0:02
Jesfa

We'll likely simply delete the Homeworlds business as it's silly. Or maybe have a slightly higher spawn rate, but given that many species don't have homeworlds, or some homeworlds tend to have a crapton of them, it's rather lame.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 13 Day 246 0:07
So, if I understand you correctly, at some foreseeable future time, creatures will actually be able to initiate combat? And rather than move aimlessly around the terrain as you plink away at them, they may come right up and start gnawing on your flesh?

Sounds...interesting.

Year 13 Day 246 2:20
That was the original intent. Obviously creatures such as the Nerf wouldn't initiate combat, but would either fight back if you attacked or just run away. But something like the Rancor would hunt you down and attack you if you got within a certain range. Same with bandits.

The current setup is to let people break combat so they can fix as many bugs as possible before then. Of course, it could end up that such auto-attacking might be overpowered and they might turn it down or off altogether - thats the beauty of being in beta.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 246 11:56
I would think a range 18 auto-attacking Rancor would be something to run screaming from at full speed.

Too powerful? Perhaps juuust a tad. (:^D)

Although I could see creatures moving towards you to close the distance, if you attack them first, and they're out of range ATM. Same as an intelligent bandit group, if they have the advantage, they might press it, rather than just run away.

Year 13 Day 246 17:58
And, as has been stated, creature weapon stats would be looked at if and when such a feature gets implemented. Weapons stats are continually being looked at to get a correct balance.

Ellias_sig6.png