Year

Day

Time

06:17:25

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 13 Day 250 11:29
Ric`zix Xichiz

I'm not sure if this is known, or I'm beating a dead horse (I know people are getting annoyed at my complaining).

Long story short, Melee Combat Troopers can't hit jack. But in order to make an accurate comparison, I need to show the class differences (I've removed the racial bonuses already)-

Melee Combat Troopers (33 skill levels total)
General (8)
Strength 2
Dexterity 0
Speed 1
Dodge 2
Projectile Weapons 0
Non Projectile Weapons 3

Social (8)
Medical Treatment 0
Diplomacy/Trading 0
Crafting/Slicing 2
Management 3
Perception 3
Stealth 0

Science (4)
R&D Metallurgy 0
R&D Electronics 0
R&D Engines 0
R&D Weapons 0
Repair 2
Computer Operations 2

Space (7)
Fighter/Freighter Piloting 2
Fighter/Freighter Combat 2
Capital Ship Piloting 0
Capital Ship Combat 0
Space Command 3

Ground (6)
Vehicle Piloting 2
Vehicle Combat 0
Infantry Command 2
Vehicle Command 2
Heavy Weapons 0

Rifleman (36 skill levels total)
General (11)
Strength 0
Dexterity 3
Speed 2
Dodge 2
Projectile Weapons 3
Non Projectile Weapons 1

Social (8)
Medical Treatment 1
Diplomacy/Trading 2
Crafting/Slicing 0
Management 3
Perception 1
Stealth 1

Science (4)
R&D Metallurgy 0
R&D Electronics 0
R&D Engines 0
R&D Weapons 0
Repair 2
Computer Operations 2

Space (6)
Fighter/Freighter Piloting 2
Fighter/Freighter Combat 1
Capital Ship Piloting 1
Capital Ship Combat 1
Space Command 1

Ground (7)
Vehicle Piloting 2
Vehicle Combat 0
Infantry Command 3
Vehicle Command 2
Heavy Weapons 0

The first thing you notice is that Riflemen have 3 additional skill levels. Most likely a remnant of skills being removed/shifted. Whether Riflemen need to lose 3, or MCT need to gain 3, the difference is there.

Using the old to-hit equation (Perception and Weapon Skill versus Dodge), melee combat troopers were fairly accurate, starting with 6 out of 10 possible skill levels versus an opponents dodge (as opposed to Riflemen who had a 4 out of 10).

With the new equation (Dexterity and Weapon Skill versus Dodge), MCTs now only have 3 out of 10 possible skill levels (due to having a 0 Dexterity), and Riflemen now have 6 out of 10.

How does this translate in the current combat?
Against creatures with no Dodge, my MCTs hit roughly 55% of the time. Against bandits (who obviously have higher Dodge), this plummets to 25-30%.

There are going to be people saying "Why not put points into Dexterity?". The simple answer is that they can't hit their target. Which means they gain no XP to level, and thus get no skill points to allocate.

Again, I'm not sure if this is known or being worked on, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to say something.

Year 13 Day 250 11:51
just to point out - all melee troopers seem to have an extra 4 SPs compared to other NPC types at lvl 1. This would compensate 3 levels :D

In fact, Gamorreans and a couple of other races can have as much as 10 free SP's at lvl 1, whereas the highest rifle figure is something like 5.

Its a good call and actually helps me explain why I found this other imbalance :D

Grev'endar'togl be Ar'Klim
Aristocra, House Ar'Togl
Year 13 Day 250 12:09
Ric`zix Xichiz

Looking through my old events, it seems you're right. My Level 1's had 5 SP to spend, and that made the template for the MCTs I was referencing even worse (by 1 point in Str and 1 point in Dodge). (Whether or not those points were refunded because of skill removal is unknown to me)

So now I have to find a way to make 70 MTCs actually be able to hit their target with a Dex of 0. Would have been nice to know about skill changes/implementation before the skill reset. And saying "the tooltip has been saying it for years" is pointless, because we all know "non-implemented skill X" can change it's definition prior to working.

Year 13 Day 250 17:38
I would say that those 4 extra skill points were supposed to be put into Dex, and just got missed - the way to enter the skill sets is not terribly intuitive and it is possible Gav missed it for Melee guys.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 13 Day 251 6:52
Jesfa

That would be a decent guess. I'm fairly quick to blame most skills typos on the awful system we have of entering in stats.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 13 Day 251 6:59
Derrik Thynite

That would be a decent guess. I'm fairly quick to blame most skills typos on the awful system we have of entering in stats Gav. 

Fixed for you :)