172 are online

Year

Day

Time

03:20:13

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 13 Day 271 12:16
I know space combat isn't here yet, but I am curious. What would you consider the best open space defensive option? A ring of Golan Is, a Golan I and another ship?

"In water we're born, in fire we die, we seed the stars."-Jango Tat-Cestus Deception
Year 13 Day 271 12:58
The best defensive option would be having 360 Golan II stations in the system. 359 in the case of a binary system.

Of course I imagine even the billionaires out there would have trouble with that, and it would not leave room for any other space stations.

MeshSig1
jtnrs7.png
Year 13 Day 271 15:14
lol, hadn't thought of that one, but in realistic terms, what would stand a small chance against say a star destroyer or MC80?

"In water we're born, in fire we die, we seed the stars."-Jango Tat-Cestus Deception
Year 13 Day 271 15:18
Esu Kyouto

"He who defends everything defends nothing" - Alexander the Great

If you build 360 Golan IIs chances are you will eventually be attacking most of them because you could not man them.

Year 13 Day 271 15:49
I completely agree, so in the consideration of a small area, say a block of 6 squares, what's a decent defense?

Year 13 Day 271 19:59
Since we're doing quotes for the reasoning of logic:

"Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Glasgow Farragut

In other words having a large number of Defense stations in the area can't really hurt.

Also:
"I've got more guns than you do" - Howard Saint (The Punisher Movie)
and;
"It is the rule in war, if our forces are ten to the enemy's one, to surround him; if five to one, to attack him; if twice as numerous, to divide our army into two." - Sun Tzu

In other words the best defense is to have more guns to bring to bear against your enemy than your enemy has to bring to bear against you. Hence... large numbers of the best defense stations credits can buy.

MeshSig1
jtnrs7.png
Year 13 Day 272 5:30
Esu Kyouto

Even with auto-fire implemented you can not hope to defend all those Golans, Therefore many would end up as bases for your enemy to launch their assaults and surround you from.

"It is the rule in war, if our forces are ten to the enemy's one, to surround him; if five to one, to attack him; if twice as numerous, to divide our army into two." - Sun Tzu

That's correct, you would be building your enemy weapons to outgun and surround you.

Year 13 Day 272 5:41
"Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight!"

ORE-Vip-Fortuna.png
Year 13 Day 272 5:42
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl

"Never bring hundreds of abandoned weapon emplacements to your last stand."

Year 13 Day 275 14:27
Gort Horth

You need to say what it is you want to defend before you can have a useful answer. It certainly makes no sense to build even a single Golan II if all you're defending is a couple facilities. I would note too, that in general ships are a better investment for defense over stations for all the same reasons that tanks were a better investment than the Maginot Line. There are many reasons that stationary fortifications are sometimes not worth the trouble, and in a universe where we don't pay for travel expenses like fuel, those reasons are greatly amplified.

If you really want stationary fortifications, powerful shields and many weapons that can reach into orbit from the surface are probably more effective than stations. Distributing 20+ Planet Defenders across the surface is going to cost less than a Golan and be a much greater deterrent. Only the largest super-caps would go up against many Defenders at once. And finally, the best defense is likely to be in where you find your friends. Freelancers who don't have faction affiliations are going to be targeted by all factions as soon as EvE is enabled. There are going to be severe consequences for needing to do your own thing, and there is little anyone can do about this but join a faction.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
Year 13 Day 276 12:04
Jesfa

The same comparison could state that a horsemen is better than a castle, which is fairly untrue. It all depends on what you need it for.

Without work being done on space combat yet, it's all in the air as to how/what/when/where defenses should work.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 13 Day 276 14:55
Nathan Miller

At the moment it would at least appear that any small formation of stations will be vulnerable to enemy ships massing within range of only one at a time and working there way around so that they can never focus their collective fire power on them at one time. They also have the advantage of being able to recharge their shields between each station so unless you're going to have reinforcements I doubt multiple stations will be a sensible use of resources.

Year 13 Day 277 10:32
Gort Horth

There's also the problem of convincing players to waste their game time sitting aboard a station waiting for it to be attacked. Good luck with that. This is one of the reasons I like surface caps. The best defenses are those that work when needed.

Edited By: Gort Horth on Year 13 Day 277 11:47

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
Year 13 Day 278 12:09
Get an A-wing or Eta-2, and just use the speed and maneuverability and just run for it, Over time, Everyone will wipe each other out, You can't compare to the veteran billionairs, So just run around difficult to catch until the spark of violence calms down, then resume life as a trader under the protection of the Victorious government.

35a98b7.png

FleursSigAnimated_zps89c0ae4e.gif
Year 13 Day 283 7:34
The best defense is hyper travel. Hyper constantly. It's free. Take long trips. You will be immortal and whore up some XP too.

Buy at my shop.
Year 13 Day 283 7:37
That does not usefully address the question.

swcforumsig