Year

Day

Time

14:55:53

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 14 Day 61 20:01
S`Kar Kh`alid

So at the current time is stealth pretty much useless if a ship is poking around the terrain? Looking at it it seems like it is pretty weak with the high level of sensors on ships and macros looking around

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Year 14 Day 61 20:40
Christian Hall

Thought Stealth wasn't even working....

Year 14 Day 67 12:13
Dratt Darkstar

Stealth works. Not sure how well since they changed the range of perception from characters on the ground. But as far as I know, the increase in perception is just the range, not values.

And yeah, ships sensors may reveal your location but I I have had it before that when I got off the ship (minus any sensor grid), I could not see them. Foiled a few A/E attempts.

Since Stealth is the opposite of Perception, I wonder if Stealth values would be stackable. Like how Sensors and ECM is.

Year 14 Day 70 11:23
Malkob Kaa

In that case I have a follow-up question on stealth:
Do macrobinoculars add +5 to perception (so also affect sensor power) or do they add +5 to range (so you can see 5 squares more qith sensor power 1, effectively not seeing anyone with stealth 2) ?

The Kaa Brothers.
Garbage removal services, one sentient at a time. taking bulk orders.

I support Jenos mailing people's mothers!
"I could write,and strangely enough actually have written, a better GNS post while taking a dump." - Xias
Year 14 Day 70 11:37
From what i saw, macrobinoculars add to sensor power. And right now, if you have sensors shearing with all your squads, stealth skill looks useless. With macrobinoculars and my squad, plus one scout, will spot even those with stealth 5 on ranges 6, 7 or so. Hopefully, that will change in future.

Year 14 Day 70 13:24
Malkob Kaa

Shame.
But it is still good against creatures, which makes a huge difference when agression is on :)

The Kaa Brothers.

"I could write,and strangely enough actually have written, a better GNS post while taking a dump." - Xias
Year 14 Day 70 13:41
With speed 2, creatures can move 6 fields in 30 minutes. So, after you fire at them, guess that thay will be able to catch you up while you are in fire delay. But from not attacking you first, guess it will have use. But both you and all of NPCs would have to improve stealth skill on same level.

Year 14 Day 72 21:05
Dratt Darkstar

Well if your perception works just like sensors, the values are stack-able.

Most fighters have a sensor of 1. If you have a whole squadron, they are now at a sensor power of 12. The sensor range did not change but the power did. I would assume a party of characters would do the same.

I am not sure what macrobinoculars do, rules wise, but say they increase the user's perception by 1. That in result would not only extend his visual range but also the "strength".

All those factors of an increased sensor/vision strength, may negate the targets' ECM or Stealth factor.

At least that is my take on it.

Year 14 Day 89 12:18
Ettrick Antalaha

@Dratt
Sensors in a squadron don't stack from what I can tell. It's only that you get the sensor power of the highest sensor ship in your squadron. ie, if you're flying a Sensor 1 ship, but have a Sensor 5 ship in your squad, you get to see 5 squares out.

### Suggestion ###
Add Ranges as a negative calculation to Stealth vs Perception equation
(Perception+1 or Sensor) - (Stealth or ECM) - (Range)
If >=0 Source can see Target

Full visibility at Range 5 as you have at Range 1 doesn't make sense, and negates Stealth entirely when Macro Binoculars are used.
Currently, I think , +8 MacroBinocular will overpower +5 Max Stealth at all ranges,
making Stealth effectively useless.

1stSun_hban2.png
Year 14 Day 89 14:03
Malkob Kaa

Well, the best implementation of binos would be to just add +5 to range, not sensor power - so the additional visibility they provide would be with sensor power 1, making anyone using stealth greater than 1 invisible.

The Kaa Brothers.

Year 14 Day 90 12:16
Mingolo Mingolonio

Stealth doesn't work as it says in the rules. Last time stealth was working, it didn't actually hide you. All it did was add an "ambush" possibility to attacks. If you're stealth was higher than the squad leader's perception, the attack was counted as an "ambush," meaning that the attackers' damage was applied before the defenders' damage is calculated, which meant that if you kill any of the defenders during that round, any damage they might have done to your squad is not counted (otherwise, the damage of everyone who was alive at the beginning of the round is counted).

Not as useful as other combat skills. Not sure if anything was changed since we were last told about it, but I do recall Sin saying that even if it was changed it would never work as it is currently stated in the rules (basically in the same way as ECM).

17376_s.png

Year 14 Day 90 22:38
That is odd, so it is not possible to hide from someone no matter what skill you have in Stealth. So, the skill is not useful unless you have a large amount of firepower that is capable of defeating several enemies during the first round.

Does the ambush only apply once during a fight or can it be done multiple times during an encounter?

Year 14 Day 90 22:49
Mingolo Mingolonio

I believe it applies during every round, so it would be useful towards the end of the fight...which is kind of backwards of how ambushes should work.

17376_s.png

Year 14 Day 91 0:38
That is useful then if it applies every round. Essentially, if you are able to kill a few enemies each round you are basically preventing 40 damage or so as the one you kill does not get to attack at all. If you did not have high stealth that would essentially mean the one you kill would have attacked a few times that round.

That is assuming it works like that of course. Honestly, I would find it more interesting if Perception and Stealth gained a few more features and each would be used as counters for each other. Much like how Dexterity and Dodge counter each other for the most part.

Year 14 Day 93 16:01
Wish I had read this before becoming level 4 in Stealth... :(

"Ok, now hit the red button. No, not that one, the big, red one! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU'RE COLORBLIND?!?"
--Junior Workman Colkhar Seflazraht
Ministry of Industry
Imperial Mining Corporation
Galactic Empire