280 are online

Year

Day

Time

08:14:31

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Looking for a new browser for SWC Any ideas? What do you use?
Page 1 2
I am considering a new idea I have to keep SWC seperate from my other tags and bookmarks since it's filling up my google chrome tabs, does anyone have any good ideas for a new browser I could use that gives me multiple bookmark tabs or maybe something that I could do with chrome that could save me some space? I'm interested to see what the other combine players use to play SWC.

Sorry, Chrome is what I prefer. I used to use Firefox, but it tends to gobble up system resources and lag everything down if it remains open.

Ka`rla Leakey

I tend to use Seamonkey as it combines all irc needs, password retention and general security all in one package. It is a Mozilla variant but doesn't use Firefox plugins and strangely is also a bit finicky with Flash updates but since SWC doesn't use Flash thats not a problem I ever really notice.

I use IE and it is perfect.

Ellias_sig6.png
Kendall Holm

You could just open a new window with the tabs. Chrome allows for multiple bookmark groups too I have 8. The reason I use Chrome is bc I can access all my bookmarks and passwords on any device and or any operating system. But just group your bookmarks and open a new window if you must keep them separate.

SWC3dsUser.png
chrome bookmark bars can have folders, so you cna just throw all your SWC links into a folder, and even subdivide it from there.

I use Firefox almost exlusively. If you really want to use a different browser than chrome for SWC, I suggest you use Firefox. Otherwise, the tips Jevon, Kendall etc. gave you will most likely solve your problems.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, if anyone else has anything they would like to add that would be great I would love as much input as possible.

Khorde Devarian

I agree with Ellias. IE is my only browser.

jed5.png
Maha Michi

Would suggest using Opera

kx7JEUp.jpg
VcL2Esm.jpg
IrCmAXv.jpg
J7BUXTv.png
Kuro Neko

I use FF for SWC exclusively, and IE/Chrome for other stuff on a Win PC.

If you are using an Android phone I would suggest you try Opera on the phone, as I found it is fast and allows most actions.

RSani002.gif
There is no god but Ara... All will walk his path...
The Faithful of Ara <--- (Warning: music link)
Varlathotep Al`Jormungandr Ragnvaldansson

On Android why wouldn't you just use chrome...? It has far more HTML5 support and, as far as I've found, supports absolutely everything in Combine...

As for browsers, I don't get the need of more than one if you're not doing web dev, and even then, a lot of browsers use Webkit for their render engine so they all more or less render pages the same. If it's for bookmarks, just do as Kendall/Jevon said and use folders.

That's got to smarts.
Kuro Neko

It may have changed recently, but mobile Opera compressed files through their servers before delivering them to you, and it may be why it felt so fast on a mobile connection. Chrome may be doing this now?.

In past, on iPhone admittedly, I had problems doing room moves or filtering --- I found Opera had lost least SWC browser features, and I stuck with it. YMMV. :-)

On desktop I'm lazy --- I keep IE with the BBC homepage, Chrome with the Google homepage, and FF with the SWC homepage, as start page. Then,instead of messing about with bookmarks, I just start up the browser I need. :-)

RSani002.gif
There is no god but Ara... All will walk his path...
The Faithful of Ara <--- (Warning: music link)
Firefox. The side-scrolling tab handling where I can still see the page title for each tab is so much more convenient for me than Chrome's tiny compressed tabs since I like to have at least 7 thousand tabs per browser window.

swcforumsig

That's a pretty terrible reason to use a browser, Kuro. You have no idea if the server they're sending your pages to first is secure or not, even if it ends up compressed. As well, most browsers cache things like images to begin with so it's not like you're gaining any significant speed performance. You might use a tiny bit less of data, but that's about it.

Edited By: Varlathotep Al`Jormungandr Ragnvaldansson on Year 15 Day 50 11:19

That's got to smarts.
Kendall Holm

Web Browsers did this back in the day when GPRS was the fastest data connection available. They dont do that anymore. And the dead give away is maintaining logins. Web Browsers that do the server snapshots are incapable of maintaining sessions so everytime you logged in it would boot you back to the log in page. I used to use SkyFire back in the day and it was a Server side snap shot browser. I was not able to get on the combine or any site that required a login

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 50 14:37
Deleted Post
Deleted by Varlathotep Al`Jormungandr Ragnvaldansson. Reason: N/a
To answer Var's question:

I do alot of my work on pc, i'm in college via some online classes, I build pcs and shop around newegg and toms hardware, then there's Reddit after 8+ tabs I also use combine pretty heavily on top of that, I can easily double that to 16 tabs on swc with 2 tabs of centrepoint market open, my email, a page for my character, one for looking at assets, one for forums etc. It's the easiest way for me to keep my factions running smoothly where I have to hop so much.

I was very interested to hear about the phone browser Kuro and Maha, that I will defiantly try out. And I will have to look up that feature that you mentioned Syn that might anchor Firefox as a sound choice!

{{I'm not worried so much on the physical computing speed or the multitasking on my machine, I have a OC AMD 8 core with plenty of power for multi tasking and a nice build to go along with it., so if necessary I was thinking 2+ browsers lol}}

Kendall Holm

As a person that knows computers you should know that clicking with the third mouse wheel in windows will instance the application. So if you have your favorite web browser up and running and then hover your mouse over the icon on the main task-bar and press mouse three it will instance your browser in a fresh new window with no tabs so that you can start opening more tabs. You can instance as many times as you want till you literally run out of memory. Another trick is to organize your bookmarks in folders. Then when you instance the new window you use your third mouse button again and it will open all your bookmarks in that folder in its own tab. See so it is pointless having multiple browsers and you are making it more difficult than what it has to be. As well as it being extremely overly in-efficient.

SWC3dsUser.png
Kraak Ak-Xaiva

I use comodo dragon browser, a chrome variant, for some reason it is a lot faster than chrome on my PC. From a mobile device i'd just use chrome.

That's true holm, but I was also considering using swc on other devices as well.

Page 1 2