234 are online

Year

Day

Time

18:05:58

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Whats with the funny symbols?
Year 15 Day 62 4:44
When I was editing one my posts, after preview it came up with bunch of funny symbols instead of things like ' and ". I didn't add any new text from anywhere and it was fine before, but I had to go through the whole post and fix it.

Benedicta Per Gratiam Jou
MeandMine.png
--> Lvl 5 FI Operator - Free Service <--

Year 15 Day 62 5:55
Wow, that'd get annoying fast...

Do you use an unstable beta browser, a unique character set, or notepad to format posts before submitting?

May your path be swift, and your pockets heavy:
Signatures.png

6kXRT.png
Year 15 Day 62 7:49
Kendall Holm

A copy paste from a word editor will do that too some times. Word editors uses special chars for " and '

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 62 16:57
I use normal Firefox, but yeah I did use Word I believe to edit the post the first time, but that was weeks ago and it didn't have issues. It seems to be fine now though, maybe I didn't preview back then. Thanks =)

Benedicta Per Gratiam Jou
MeandMine.png
--> Lvl 5 FI Operator - Free Service <--

Year 15 Day 62 20:29
Still an issue afaik. Always has been on Main, but not on Dev for some reason.

Example: The Infinity symbol is unicode U+221E

If you paste that into a forum post and just Post, you're fine. (Edited in fresh paste: ∞ )

But as soon as you preview it, or as soon as you EDIT... THIS Happens: (�)

Edited By: Kay Dallben on Year 15 Day 62 20:29
Year 15 Day 62 21:42
I get a similar result when trying to copy the 'm3' from ship stats on to a post.

Result:
Volume Cap: 25 m³

It does get a bit annoying especially when you got several of those to clean up.

Edited By: Amelia Swanson on Year 15 Day 62 21:44

AmeliaSwansonCA.png
Year 15 Day 62 22:16
Kendall Holm

Yes this is a general issue with modern clipboards. Old clipboards used to be text only meaning you get what you see textwise only. People were unhappy with this so now they have a rich text clipboard. So now it copies all the styles along with font color, even bullets and other nonsense shit. So what is happening is sometimes when you copy from off say an HTML page. You think you are copying just the text which you are not. Its copying all the hidden code as well. This in turn from time to time causes text pasting to come out odd because of the hidden html coding. The only sure way of avoiding this is to paste the content into notepad where there is no formatting and then copy it again and paste elsewhere which is just ridiculous. The worst culprit is Word. Word uses special characters for normal characters. Like double quotes, single quotes, dashes, underscores, slashes, superscript, subscript and many many more are special characters at which a lot of things cannot interpret correctly and makes what we call Greek. You just have to get used to it or do as I do and type out anything that is special, not normal plain text.

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 15 Day 62 22:18

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 63 8:53
It is the price we bear for occasional desire to c/p formatting I guess.

I wonder why it doesn't happen on Dev though. (Link for Kendall if he's interested)

Do the Dev Forums handle the hidden text differently?

Edited By: Kay Dallben on Year 15 Day 63 8:57
Year 15 Day 63 9:01
Kendall Holm

Dev and main are the same. Its the nature of clipboard. I used to get pissed trying to do sim news. The funny thing was each time you pasted the same text it was different. At my school our bulletin boards if you paste anything with bullets or lists and you go to post half your text is missing. Funny as hell, it just clips off half of the text but the paste looks fine before post. If you want to have a little fun Google it. There is literally thousands of articles about it and some of the work arounds are just funny. Now word has a wonderful option when pasting called plain text paste. Not sure why other software like a web browser doesnt have that option so you can strip out all that crap

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 15 Day 63 9:08

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 63 11:18
Chrome has paste as plain text. It went live only recently. I never noticed it before.

May your path be swift, and your pockets heavy:
Signatures.png

6kXRT.png
Year 15 Day 63 11:25
Kendall Holm

That actually might be useful.

SWC3dsUser.png