Time

00:18:04

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Getting tanks on the ground
Page 1 2 3
Year 15 Day 72 12:18
I've been wondering how people move combat vehicles (read:Tanks) from a fleet to the ground. The only ships I can find that will dock within the majority of warships are the DragonBoat and the ATAT hauler, both of which are a pain in the ass to get ahold of. I can find few ships capable of housing an army that can (atleast) descend to atmosphere level.

Signed, Jaster Krent.
Year 15 Day 72 13:54

I've been wondering how people move combat vehicles (read:Tanks) from a fleet to the ground.

- Jaster Krent

The only ones that can do it, from cap to ground are the YT series ships, and the Dx9 drop ships. Dragon doesn't have a hanger to support vehicles.

CEO Black Nebula Engineering
CEO and founder of Sarif Industries
Year 15 Day 72 14:07
couldn't you just use a BFF?

Year 15 Day 72 14:48
BFF, but the way it was asked. Sounded like from a cap, most caps can't hold a bulk.

Year 15 Day 72 14:56
YV-666 put the troops in the tanks then you got it its what i use

Hondo_Sig

Year 15 Day 72 16:37
None of these are really practical in a combat situation.

Signed, Jaster Krent.
Year 15 Day 72 17:38
Gorlyn Boggs

That is ok, for SWC's combat is not really practical. So, they fit each other perfectly.

Level Five Facility Operator
Level Five Recycler / Repairer

Year 15 Day 72 18:26
SWC's combat is practical enough, on a design basis, but we lack a lot of the ship-types and starship functions to make it work well.

I for one, am still itching for EVA suits being available to the public - having them function in facilities would be even better.

Back on topic: The Gallowfree transport fufills the function I want, but can only be carried by larger cap-ships. My current "Ideal" army operates two batallions out of a Corona frigate, one reserve and one active. However, while I can drop the scouts and their bikes easily enough getting any sort of armour onto the field is irksome without any ship being able to hold more than one, at best.

Signed, Jaster Krent.
Year 15 Day 72 19:37
You can load other ships with vehicles you have on your ship without needing docking - just choose the load option and it should give a list of ships at your location that you can load into. Requiring docking was dropped a few months or so back if not longer.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 72 22:33
You are basing an entire army out of a corona, there's your problem. Its not meant to be a troop carrier or army transport.

Year 15 Day 73 1:00
Jesfa

^
The Corona is essentially a support frigate. They're moderately ok warships, but they're certainly not meant to be carrying an entire army/all your stuffs.

Realistically, if you're trying to find an "all in one" solution for your needs, you're going to need some of the larger vessels.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 15 Day 73 3:32
Yep, ISD/MC type or MTC.

Year 15 Day 73 4:07
Xakic Jix

Mon Cala would work for this I think. Large ship, can hold a grip of troop, vehicles, and ships. With enough room left for extra gear. Nice sensors, and can land on the ground. Hyper is a bit slow, but most war vessels are slow.

mystats.php?uid=c8664

Year 15 Day 73 4:14
Jesfa

MTC is probably your best bet if you're non-aligned. IIRC those are still publicly sold? They're slow, but most of the HQ type ships are.

LoraxSig3copy.png
Year 15 Day 73 6:26
Sevk Ill`er

MTCs are still publicly sold and have dropped in price quite a bit. You can find them from 150-190m.

Considering you are likely never to have an MC or an SD, that's your best bet. Corona's can store a lot, but aren't mean't to be for dropping vehicles and stuff. Now troops is another matter. IIRC the Corona will hold 3 Sprints and still have a ton of room for various shit. Sprints hold 40 or 50 a piece. Considering the current rules, if combat happened today, you could only command 5 squads plus the one in your party. That's only 72. So if troops and being able to get them to the ground is a goal for you, that's a really cheap and efficient way of doing so.

Year 15 Day 73 7:08
The problem isn't getting everything into the corona - I can do that perfectly fine.

The issue is trying to get everything back out again - which I could do if there was a ship like the ATAT barge publically available, but in-so-far the only faction to actually get a heavy dropship is the empire.

One potential solution might be to grind CP's for a strike-class. It can land, holds more than the corona. I'd be trading durability for speed and firepower though.

Edited By: Jaster Krent on Year 15 Day 73 7:14

Signed, Jaster Krent.
Year 15 Day 73 7:18
/me points to his previous post.

You can shift ships and vehicles between ships in space, without requiring either to be docked inside the other. Just go to the ship cargo page and choose the dock option from there.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 73 8:27
Those ships need a hanger bay. Most of the ships I *could* use don't have a hanger bay.

Signed, Jaster Krent.
Year 15 Day 73 9:12
Matt Solomon

Just to clarify, if you have infantry command lvl 5, you can control 6 squads plus your own personal squad so plan for 84 troops plus you.

mystats.php?uid=c9320
Year 15 Day 73 16:41
You'd need a ship to have a hanger bay to have the vehicles in in the first place so I'd thought that was pretty obvious inclusion to be needing.

Ellias_sig6.png
Page 1 2 3