Year

Day

Time

10:14:16

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 15 Day 99 2:42
Maltan Daws

I have questions about prospecting. I asked something similar in #swc-help but I'm sure I didn't ask the right thing.

I have heard that someone has prospected cities multiple times (with same equipment and comp op) and found deposits 2nd 3rd or 4th prospecting attempt. Is there some timer when the city can be repospected or is that related to equation (in mining rules): Chance of finding = ( 1 + Total Sensors^(Comp Op/30+0.05) ) * Terrain Prob?

I have also heard that it's impossible to find deposit ever again if city has once prospected with 12 hogs and comp op 5 with result nothing found. (it locks the city to no deposit forever).

Is one of above right or is there other right answer how it works?

Year 15 Day 99 3:01
Yes an no. Each deposit has a certain threshold that requires a certain level of comp ops/sensors to reach. So if you don't find anything with your current levels increase one or the other and then try again. If you don't change anything you shouldn't suddenly find something. This is why some people prospect with FKs as it is quicker or something but then use groundhogs if they find nothing - better sensors.

ie, the terrain you are on has a deposit that needs 1000 prospecting power to find. You have a comp ops and sensor power that comes to 600 - you are never going to find the deposit even if you try forever. However if you change it so that it goes to 1100 power, you will then find the deposit (here the power is arbitrary units).

The only time deposits 'refresh' is when a deposit is depleted then it will rerun and make a deposit with a new threshold.

To my mind this would mean that every terrain/city has a deposit it is just our current tech level for sensors cannot find them. Yay lets get R&D to get better sensors.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 99 3:46
Maltan Daws

ie, the terrain you are on has a deposit that needs 1000 prospecting power to find. You have a comp ops and sensor power that comes to 600 - you are never going to find the deposit even if you try forever. However if you change it so that it goes to 1100 power, you will then find the deposit (here the power is arbitrary units).

- Ellias Aubec

How is that needed prospecting power determined?

When I asked in #swc-help about equation "Chance of finding = ( 1 + Total Sensors^(Comp Op/30+0.05) ) * Terrain Prob" I got answer that you can prospect with same equipment multiple times to find unfound deposit.
It seems the answer varies every person.

Year 15 Day 99 10:37
Darian Dash

If you use the max gear and sensors withe comp-ops 5 and don't find anything then you never will.

When the galaxy shift happened then the thresholds seemed to have shifted with it.
So there are times you will find a deposit on a slab that was comp-ops 5 prospected before gal shift.

It also means that mines that existed before the shift seem to have a higher rate of coming back empty when reprospected now.

These are the only anomalies we've noticed and we've spent a lot of time testing the theory.

Year 15 Day 99 11:04
I have also heard that it's impossible to find deposit ever again if city has once prospected with 12 hogs and comp op 5 with result nothing found. (it locks the city to no deposit forever). 

This is the true statement until R&D provides us with better gear.

200px-Patchessignature.png
Year 15 Day 99 15:12
Ka`rla Leakey

Not convinced by this as I have just reprospected a terrain with the same skills and same vehicles and found a deposit where none was found before.

Year 15 Day 99 15:55
Galaxy shift related? What Ellias posted is all correct.

swcforumsig

Year 15 Day 99 18:30
Maybe terrain changes/new planets would have changed deposits, but if you are prospecting the same square multiple times without changing sensors/comp ops and finding a new deposit on the Xth time, make a bug report.

Per the equations I believe it is that one you posted. The game generates the deposit following the percentage chances listed in the rules (so if it generates a higher rarity RM then it will be harder to find). It then runs the equation and compares what your 'score' is with the percentage it made and sees what you get. So if you have 10% for your score and the deposit was in the 1-12% bracket, you'd find it. If it was in the 50-52% bracket, then you wouldn't. From what I understand of the relationship between the equations.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 100 11:13
Indeed.

This thread, and this post in particular, might help.

http://www.swcombine.com/forum/thread.php?thread=41350&post=466633#post466633

200px-Patchessignature.png
Year 15 Day 102 7:53
And just cause it's partly useful;

Deposit Calculator