326 are online

Year

Day

Time

14:32:30

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Unmanned Transports Flying On Their Own?
Back a year or more ago, the option of being able to undock from a ship while it was in hyper was implemented (the Squall Chitose maneuver).

At about the same time, there was a discussion about using a similar code to allow a pilot to set a hyper destination for a transport (any ship with a docking bay, IIRC), then undock and allow the ship to continue on to its destination, as long as the hypering ship had a pilot droid or NPC in the cockpit.

Just wondering if that ever got beyond the "cool idea, never happen" stage, or if it was killed as being impractical/unfair/blocked by the Intergalactic Pilots Union.

C5Lgr5m.pngWOMN3M5.jpghlx72UM.png

We won't be implementing unmanned transports like that, so whatever happened to it back then, that's the current answer.

Caeda Rastyk

I'm of the impression that would work should you be willing to sacrifice the hyper on whatever you're undocking with.

Caeda: Yes, you can currently undock from a hypering ship, which halts it immediately. That's the option put in place to rescue Squall, thus the name "The Squall Maneuver." I was discussing a different option, one where you could undock, and still allow the ship to continue in hyper.

Mikel, I've been told this was an option discussed for flying cargo between T-2s, not necessarily an option of dropping out of hyper by the pilot.

Is that a possibility?

Edited By: Belloq Tull on Year 15 Day 126 12:26

Xrati Zee

Wasn't there talk of 'Trading Routes' between T2's? Transfer of mats/items or maybe just specific ships was supposed to happen under control of NPC (hidden) transports between 'linked' stations or at least known stations? It sounded like a good idea that was on it's way to implementation... at some time in the future.

gff85Qj.pngDragonWhiteDragon1.png
Caeda Rastyk

Yes I know what you're referring to, but as I recall it drops out only for lack of pilot, if you have a pilot droid in place it should continue on.

Caeda, that is interesting. I've not heard that this was the case.

In the rules, it does mention that in-system travel stops if the pilot leaves the ship. And the rules mention all the particulars about aborting hyper travel (and the risks involved). But nowhere does it mention being able to leave a ship while it's in hyper, and having it continue on as long as it has an assigned pilot.

Unless the rules are not up to date?

If you have a pilot droid, it only takes over if you enter another entity within the ship. If you undock, the official pilot is therefore not on the ship, and the hyper ship should drop out of hyper immediately.

Whether its actually working or not I couldn't tell you.

Thanks, Jevon.

Next time I'm out hypering in an empty sector, I'll try this., Then probably necro this thread, unless someone beats me to it.

Just wanna say that I wholly support hyper undocking being called "The Chitose Maneuver"

squallsig

And From A Darkness I Descend
Clenching A Torch Of Sweet Revenge

I wholly support hyper undocking being called "The Chitose Maneuver."

- Squall

Duly noted. The copyright forms are on their way.

Can we also say that when someone is doing that, they're "puling a Squall"? (;8,)

I think it needs a holocron entry :D

squallsig

And From A Darkness I Descend
Clenching A Torch Of Sweet Revenge

With, or without, a suitable Lego masterpiece?

I'd vote for 'with.'