Time

04:52:12

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » touch screen selecting crates
Year 15 Day 133 10:20
Icarus Carinae

Is it normal to be unable to select crates with a touch screen?

Year 15 Day 133 13:21
I find it a little unwieldy on my iPhone, normally I have to zoom in more than normal and check the box to select it.

I've not been able to do the Click+Drag thing on my touchscreen though.

Year 15 Day 133 17:40
I can click and drag on my android, but it's a pain in the ass and has like a 50% success rate. Sometimes it drags things I didn't mean to drag and I unequip things I didn't mean to unequip or load things into containers accidentally. SWC hasn't really got a phone-friendly (or now tablet-friendly) interface; it wasn't designed with that technology in mind. It is definitely an area where we could use some improvement.

Edited By: Syn on Year 15 Day 133 17:41

swcforumsig

Year 15 Day 133 19:12
is anyone else able to filter items on their phone, when I bring up a filtered list it only shows part of the list and does not let me scroll down the list

Year 15 Day 133 21:27
Kuro Neko

I've found various activities on a phone to be sometimes browser dependent. I settled for an older version of Opera (for Android), as that seems to work best all-round for me.

RSani002.gif
There is no god but Ara... All will walk his path...
The Faithful of Ara <--- (Warning: music link)
Year 15 Day 133 22:28
Kendall Holm

This is an annoyance everywhere. The problem is touchscreens are treated differently from mice on the OS. So a touch down event (not football here) is different than a mouse left button down event. Web pages are rendered looking for mouse events when doing special things like drag and drop. The only way to fix this is to have the web page have js to detect it. I recomend tablets and phones with smart pens as they behave like a mouse and have saved me headaches many times.

Now we have put touch screen events into parts of the website. But heres the thing. They have side effects. Some people cant scroll but can drag and drop. This bc it cant tell what is for scrolling and what drag and drop only.

The common etiquette as of right now to make touch screen friendly sites is to not use drag and drop, no flash, no hovering etc etc. Not until Scripts catch up to the technology

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 15 Day 133 23:09

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 134 9:09
is anyone else able to filter items on their phone, when I bring up a filtered list it only shows part of the list and does not let me scroll down the list 

Yep, I have the same issue. I generally just don't do anything requiring much inventory work until I'm on a computer.

The common etiquette as of right now to make touch screen friendly sites is to not use drag and drop, no flash, no hovering etc etc. Not until Scripts catch up to the technology 

Or just a low-tech mobile version of pages; many sites just redirect to some mobile domain if a touch device is detected. But I don't think we really have enough people working on site development at the moment for this to happen anytime soon.

swcforumsig

Year 15 Day 167 4:39
I can filter things just fine on my iOS device.

The problem I did run into requires you to zoom out or scroll to the bottom of a page to see the windows that pop up.

Other than that there is the occasional having to tap on the side of the items list to activate the scroll up/down function, otherwise yea you get stuck.

Hope this helps

mowc9ys