Day

Time

10:05:38

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Weapon Classification and Stealth
Year 15 Day 195 2:37
In the Personal Weapon section of the rules the weapons are listed by their classification like Heavy and Non-Projectile. Are the weapons represented in the same manner in the actual code of the game or are they all just part of a single list of weapons that are not differentiated by their use?

At the moment are there any differences between Health, Hull, Deflector Shields and Armour other than their names within the actual code as well? Finally, the rules mention that stealth is implemented. Though based on a few other threads it is mentioned that stealth on Derra is more along the lines of an "ambush", where those with a high stealth skill have their damage calculated before the damage of the enemy and if the enemy is killed then the damage of the killed enemy is partially negated. Assuming their stealth is higher than the enemies perception. Is that true or is it implemented like the rules say and is just not activated at this time?

Note: I am not entirely sure if this should be in General Questions or this section. I assumed this section because they are questions about code and implementation, which only admins and those that implement the features would know for certain.

Year 15 Day 195 6:31
[QUOTE]In the Personal Weapon section of the rules the weapons are listed by their classification like Heavy and Non-Projectile. Are the weapons represented in the same manner in the actual code of the game or are they all just part of a single list of weapons that are not differentiated by their use?[/quote]

The different weapon types utilize their respective skills if thats what you are wondering.

At the moment are there any differences between Health, Hull, Deflector Shields and Armour other than their names within the actual code as well? Finally, the rules mention that stealth is implemented. Though based on a few other threads it is mentioned that stealth on Derra is more along the lines of an "ambush", where those with a high stealth skill have their damage calculated before the damage of the enemy and if the enemy is killed then the damage of the killed enemy is partially negated. Assuming their stealth is higher than the enemies perception. Is that true or is it implemented like the rules say and is just not activated at this time? 

I have never heard of stealth relating to damage. Stealth would usually mean avoiding detection by sensors until you can shoot first.

Year 15 Day 195 6:59
I know that each classification has a specific skill that enhances it. Though I was meaning along the lines of say, heavy weapons having a Heavy classification in the code itself or if heavy weapons are just another weapon that is not any different from a non-projectile weapon, other than the skills they use.

A possible example based upon what I meant would be the code having a classification called "Heavy" with specific set values to determine the effectiveness of the weapons that are assigned the classification against the current defenses of health, hull and so on. Such as all weapons classified as heavy weapons dealing half damage against health and full damage against hull. Is such a thing a planned eventuality or already implemented?

As for the stealth, a simple explanation would be stealth determining the order of attack. If the stealth skill of the commander, the player, is greater than the enemies perception then the stealth skill players party would attack first. Simply order of attack, not damage. There was a thread in the suggestions archive that mentioned it was a possibility on Derra so I wanted to know if current implementation of stealth is the same as what is mentioned in the rules or not. Or if more is planned for stealth in the future.

Year 15 Day 195 7:59
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

How I'd figure it to work (which likely isn't the way Combine works) is there's a field in the weapon's database that determines if the weapon is NP, Projectile or Heavy. Then the game's code (will?) probably checks to see what the value is and determines any bonus damage/effectiveness. That is if effectiveness itself is implemented.

Since in the rules page they're all on their own separate pages you can assume that there's at least something in the database differentiating weapon times.

TriNebulon News: Y18 D30 - Y19 D170 RIP :(
Voted worst art team member of Y19
ulrike_r
Year 15 Day 195 17:56
At the moment I do not believe that there is any difference between the weapons at the moment. However once vehicle/facility/etc combat comes out it has been stated that they will deal different damages to HP and hull etc.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 15 Day 195 18:21
The code knows that its a heavy/projectile/non-projectile, but they haven't added in the different power levels based on target type since the only thing you can actually shoot right now is living beings. It will be changed eventually.

I have no idea if stealth factors into attack order, but I have a feeling it doesn't.