Day

Time

05:17:21

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Ship travel on ground deactivated
Year 15 Day 339 9:30
I noticed on Derra that ground travel in ships was deactivated. I could still land and take off and do cross-terrain, but if I tried traveling around on the ground square, a message would come up telling me that ship ground travel was deactivated. Is this a feature planned for future implementation all over the galaxy, or is it just Derra/testing specific?

Year 15 Day 339 16:00
Theofan Maercan

I believe it was said at some point that with the release of ground combat over the whole of the galaxy this would also come with it. It's to promote a necessity for ground vehicles.

nnRa5oO_zpsb8bee7b6.png
Year 15 Day 339 16:24
No, it is unlikely that ground movement will be nearly as restrictive as Derra is currently. Most likely travel will be limited in some form within cities but not on open terrain. The Derra conditions are Derra specific just for testing.

swcforumsig

Year 15 Day 339 18:48
I sure hope they consider the implication of this before doing it. Collecting large scale orders from factories w/o using ships will be a nightmare.

Year 15 Day 339 21:44
Collecting large scale orders from factories w/o using ships will be a nightmare.

- Jay Ceveri

Not to mention building. There are currently no ground vehicles that can haul even a half decent fraction of what a BFF-1 can haul, with the exception of the EVS, which is for recycling.

This is a fairly important matter to consider. Landing can easily deal with RM, ship and Item pickup, however building will be substantially limited. The best that I can estimate would be a full squad of 12 Luxury Sail Barge's would give you 3600 tons of hauling, 12 Sandcrawlers would be 4800 tons, 12 EVS's would be 96k Tons(best match so far, though insanely slow in comparison).

I guess the question at hand is not whether or not this function will be implemented, but to what extent will it be done so, and will any further vehicles be introduced to match functions that are currently available.

Year 15 Day 340 7:11
Uh, as long as the ship is in the city you don't have to go carting it around to the build site squares anyway. You can land it and use a vehicle or something.

Regardless of that being an irrelevant argument, as Syn said, it is unlikely the current Derra restrictions will be adopted wholesale.

Edited By: Mikel von Bianchi on Year 15 Day 340 7:12
Year 15 Day 342 12:58
Kuro Neko

Uh, as long as the ship is in the city you don't have to go carting it around to the build site squares anyway. You can land it and use a vehicle or something.

- Mikel

I think what Mikel means (based on what I think to be the situation) is that you can land a ship in the city and mats will be drawn from the ship even if you take a vehicle full of builders and go off and build at different locations around the city.

RSani002.gif
There is no god but Ara... All will walk his path...
The Faithful of Ara <--- (Warning: music link)
Year 15 Day 342 13:01
That is correct based on my experience.

Year 15 Day 344 0:09
I think what Mikel means (based on what I think to be the situation) is that you can land a ship in the city and mats will be drawn from the ship even if you take a vehicle full of builders and go off and build at different locations around the city.

- Kuro Neko

Alright, I accept that such a mechanic could replace the current system. With that said, such a system will still severely impact building as it currently is. Not in capacity, though I question the proposed alternative system. RMs currently do not transfer across a squad, and need to be moved to the ship leading the squad. How system can identify from Which ship to draw RMs if you are instead piloting a vehicle, and no longer attached to the mothership.

No, my main question applies to terrain travel. The exact nature of the restrictions should still be explored.

Questions upon questions, many of them far from insignificant.

Year 15 Day 344 1:28
As far as I know for construction all materials inside of buildings, vehicles and ships of this city can be selected. I don't know if squadded vehicles/ships are also available for that though.

Year 15 Day 344 9:05
Kuro Neko

I believe that once you un-squad the ship, you can access the mats for building again.

RSani002.gif
There is no god but Ara... All will walk his path...
The Faithful of Ara <--- (Warning: music link)
Year 15 Day 344 10:03
Kendall Holm

And not being able to access RMs in a squaded ship is also a bug and will be resolved

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 15 Day 345 14:57

Alright, I accept that such a mechanic could replace the current system.

- Torrion Judvash

That wouldn't "replace the current system". It IS the current system. You can land 2 BFF's. Unsquad them, hop into a vehicle or on foot with the NPC's and go anywhere in the city and still use the rms in the ships for construction.