Time

23:29:01

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » RM transport costs to silos.
Year 16 Day 184 6:08
Darian Dash

Is the cost of transport for RM to silos supposed to be 75cr a unit for all RM types?
Meleenium only costs around 60cr to mine so it's double the cost of mining mel if you use silos.

Year 16 Day 184 7:26
Kendall Holm

I think its across the board

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 184 18:26
Yes, this is laid out rather explicitly in the Rules.

The idea has been floated before that perhaps it should be a percentage fee.

Year 16 Day 184 18:31
Darian Dash

Thanks for the answer guys.

Year 16 Day 184 20:30
Cedron Tryonel

Yes, it definitely should be a flat percentage fee, not a flat fee in general.

Year 16 Day 184 20:45
Kendall Holm

That logically doesnt even make sense. Its the same cost to haul a ton of one ore as it would be to haul a ton of dirt

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 184 20:48
Victor O`Cuinn

Yeah but what sense does it make to charge more to transfer a material than to extract it?

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 16 Day 184 20:51
That's why using silo's is such a horrible idea :P I have no clue why anyone bothers, so dumb.

Year 16 Day 184 20:57
Kendall Holm

Makes a lot of sense. In logistics they charge you flat rate per weight and distance. You should be passing the fees on to the customers. That way you are not eating the costs

Its false logic to think that hauling something needs to be lower than the worth of the item thats being hauled. It just doesnt work that way. Never has

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 16 Day 184 21:28

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 184 22:26
Victor O`Cuinn

In logistics they charge you flat rate per weight and distance. 

If this was the case it would be a different price per material. Also if you are hauling it a block down the road why would it cost more? I would understand your logic if it was going to any empty silo on the planet, or the system. But we are talking one building over in some cases. So by your explanation the current system is flawed since all mats cost the same regardless of weight and distance.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 16 Day 184 22:44
Kendall Holm

Why would it be different per material. 1 ton of a material is the same as 1 ton of another. Only difference is volume but its irrelevant as we were discussing weight and distance. The flat rate we have now is simplistic and easier to use. We could have it go by distance/weight * 75. But it can also make the system more complex than needed. That would be up to you or anyone else who wants to suggest it and if the person who did it in the first place want to do it as well.

The argument was an attack on the statement made that shipping cost shouldnt exceed extraction cost. This is likely conjecture or some other form of false thinking. That argument is similar to one where a person made a suggestion that no entity should have a weigh capacity that exceeds its own weight.

Its like really? What made you come to that conclusion?

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 16 Day 184 22:50

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 184 22:56
Victor O`Cuinn

You are right a ton is a ton no mater what. However we are not being charged by the ton or any other form of weight. We are being charged by the unit. Also shouldn't (or couldn't) the management skill also play a factor in the transfer cost since the silo has to be in the same city?

I am not trying to argue with you Kendall. I know zero about codes and coding and I have no idea what would make the system more or less complex. I just see what is in the rules and what others say and what I see personally. And the cost to extract has the massive equation and the transfer is two numbers multiplied.

So I am just trying to see why it is the way it is.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 16 Day 184 23:12
Kendall Holm

You can prob add that to the complexity as we dont have charisma to negotiate lower prices. The way it is prob has no real reason. Prob was told by an designer to do it that way.

And I know you are not trying to argue. Its like me trying not to look condescending. But you know we have to go through the right channels if you want change

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 184 23:33
Victor O`Cuinn

Aye. And I am not looking for a change. Things in SWC change as the developers feel they need to, and I am fine with that. I was just stating my opinion on the matter.

Victor-gif-finished.gif

victor_ocuinn_cit.png
Year 16 Day 185 4:06
Cedron Tryonel

It's less about "reality" and more about "gameplay" at this point, really. Why make a feature that nobody will really use?

Year 16 Day 185 8:05
Kendall Holm

What are you basing this information off of when you say nobody would really use? We can remove the silo thing. Make it to what it was before, where the mines halt, you lose anything extra.

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 185 8:13
Cedron Tryonel

Most people I know simply pause the mine and wait to unload it before unpausing the mine, if they don't already unload it on a more regular basis than that. No mats lost, no extra overhead cost for the mats.

The auto-silo is a fantastic feature, but it could do with a better price that adjusts as a percentage of the material cost rather than a flat cost for all materials. If it were a reasonable %, I'd be ready to lay down some silos in every mining city.

Edited By: Cedron Tryonel on Year 16 Day 185 8:15
Year 16 Day 185 8:47
Kendall Holm

You can make a suggestion and try to petition for a change.

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 16 Day 185 11:08
However we are not being charged by the ton or any other form of weight. We are being charged by the unit. 

Right, and a unit of an RM (1m3) is exactly the same regardless of the RM type. If you want me to move a box, my profit margin on a 1-meter-cubed box is going to likely be exactly the same regardless of what is in that box. It takes exactly the same amount of space on my truck to move whatever is inside that box, which is really all that matters (the space on my truck).

If you want to make a suggestion I do invite you to come up with an actual compelling reason for the change, because its current simplicity is somewhat of a virtue.