257 are online

Year

Day

Time

19:59:57

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » CP Links Fixed Thanks to Selatos! Many Thanks!
Page 1 2
Xarlande Rekloda

It redirects to various popups and potentially dangerous rerouting paths. More than once, my computer detected malware and other attempts to hack into my device from that link (and my computer is up to date and not using some piece of crap like Norton for virus/malware protection). I strongly recommend that this link be fixed and/or removed for the safety of the SWC community at large. At least one of the links (toprpg) hasn't been working for months, but this one is a security issue, not just a CP link issue.

I have sent in a support ticket, but it has not been responded to. It has only been a week or so since I sent it in, but I figured I would put this out there in case anyone is using a computer that is not up to date or not aware of the danger of such things.

Edited By: Xarlande Rekloda on Year 16 Day 320 18:53

Mandalorian Lack of Prejudice
Neimoidian Sense of Business
Duros Code of Honor
Thali`a N`ightshade

Have to tried an AdBlocker Xarlande? I was having issues some time back, in fact a few were and Adblocker or Adblocker plus worked for me.

photo ThalJDnew_zps74605fe0.png
Kendall Holm

Its kind of sad. Sites make money from ads. And ads have become hostile so people block them and now some sites block the site from you for blocking their ads

SWC3dsUser.png
Selatos

Overall these types of things are bothering me more and more, so hopefully I will have a chance to remove these links this weekend. I don't like for combine to be associated with shady voting sites, but there are fewer quid pro quo link exchange type sites these days (like webrings in the 90s) and it seems like putting up money to advertise is maybe not in our best interest at the moment. Need things to be more done before then.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Lev Bolden

Has anyone else noticed that the weekly fidelity bonus is done maybe once a month and is really off? It has been 26 days since the last time they did the bonus.

177 Year 16 Day 210, 17:00 The Top Sites System + 960 Weekly banner click fidelity bonus

Thats the last Time I have seen the bonus and I am highly active at this...

322 Year 16 Day 196, 17:00 The Top Sites System + 640 Weekly banner click fidelity bonus

And the time before that was only 14 days apart

435 Year 16 Day 182, 17:00 The Top Sites System + 920 Weekly banner click fidelity bonus

And the time before that was also 14 days apart... anyways going from day 237 all the way back to day 177 which is as far as my cp sheet goes the weekly bonus has only happened 3 times

Cait Catra

It's been a week or two since I voted every day in a week, but it worked fine for me three or four weeks ago.

"It never ceases to amaze me, the things that very small people can find to make themselves feel very big."
Mine hasn't had any gaps. My guess is you just missed some voting days.

Never had an issue as long as I hit the requisite conditions (all sites, at least every other day). Even when one or two links bug-out- like TopRPGames banner being permastuck- click bonus has run weekly like clockwork

image.png
Vladimir Killjoy

The site is still in the links. And among other things avast detects malicious stuff in ~temp from this site.

Site itself does exactly as in OP. Please remove this piece of malicious crap off the list, it makes swc look bad.

"I could write,and strangely enough actually have written, a better GNS post while taking a dump." - Xias
I put in a bug report over one of these a few years ago (coming up as malware) and was told by the powers that be that it's pretty much "buyer beware" at your own risk for clicking on them since they're 3rd party and not owned/controlled by SWC staff other than hosting the link buttons.

That being said:

http://www.swcombine.com/members/cp/clickTopbanner.php?top=11

This one's been coming up as "page cannot be displayed" for weeks, if not months now for me. And that's in different browsers.

chronicles-of-riddick-movie-image-karl-urban-slice-01.jpg

"Lord Mor's gonna kill you!"
Argo Viridian

(coming up as malware) and was told by the powers that be that it's pretty much "buyer beware" at your own risk for clicking on them since they're 3rd party and not owned/controlled by SWC staff other than hosting the link buttons.

- Jeraq Moridin

The 'caveat emptor' argument seems non-sensical. The purpose of the CP links is to promote the game. When a site is no longer serving that one purpose or has changed to the point where a fair minded person could be expected to be annoyed it should be removed.

.....so hopefully I will have a chance to remove these links this weekend.

- Selatos

Be patient, folks. It is annoying, I agree, but there are a lot of things on a lot of peoples plates.

newcreate.php?text=Kathlen%20Stewart&name=MissBrooks.ttf&size=40&style_color=FF0000
Raidan Spike

I don't know how other people vote, but I just click on each link and close the tab as fast as it opens (apart from the backward incentive ones). Generally this is well before anything loads, so no issues there.

Attempt_15.png
raidan_spike_cit.png
Doesn't that defeat the reason the voting links are there in the first place?

Raidan Spike

I suppose that depends on your reason for voting. I vote to increase awareness for SWC on other sites and for the CPs. Both these things are accomplished the instant I click that link. I don't see how refusing to download the page (and possibly other stuff) and view those sites affects that..

Attempt_15.png
raidan_spike_cit.png
Then perhaps the voting has changed since I last voted (likely years ago). Back then you actually had to click on something on some sites to vote.

On most of these sites, a vote is recorded as soon as user clicks on link. They're all pretty much CPC links that utilize cookies to check parameters (such as IP, valid user, authenticity, etc.) Regardless of whether you vote or not, a vote is recorded.

The only ones that don't utilize a system of "click=vote" are the backward incentive links. These you actually have to vote on to raise awareness of the game. You'll still be rewarded the first time for a valid click, though.

The voting system for these sites is just a means to secure more authentic users to their sites. Basically, the sites are built in a way to maximize traffic.

Selatos

Update: I've removed this link finally, along with the always-down toprpggames.com link and a link that just led back to the support the combine page.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Cait Catra

Thank you Selatos!

"It never ceases to amaze me, the things that very small people can find to make themselves feel very big."
Rats, 10 less cp's a day :(

Page 1 2