Day

Time

23:18:12

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Docking Port vs Docking Bay
Year 16 Day 275 16:16
I know how a Docking Bay works. You park your ship (assuming enough weight and volume capacity remains) and your little ship can be carried around by the ship you are docked in. Easy enough.
Docking Ports. Okay...these are external docking systems for docking single ships (though some entities have ore than one port.
My question: Can they be used essentially the same way? Small ship attaches to docking port on big ship and big ship can then carry it where-ever...take off with it...carry it to atmo and orbit...then thru Sublight and Hyperspace?

Thanks

~Jarneskeg Yrfeloran
mystats.php?uid=c11000

can be seen
Here.
Year 16 Day 275 18:36
Docking ports have no current use that I am aware of. They definitely cannot drag ships around though.

Year 16 Day 275 18:39
Thanks for the response. That was all I needed. That's what I originally thought too, but then I thought 'Heck, you can board/unboard in space using any exit/entrance, so maybe docking ports have another use....again thanks for the answer.

~Jarneskeg Yrfeloran
mystats.php?uid=c11000

can be seen
Here.
Year 16 Day 275 21:23
The idea of docking ports was always so you could travel between entities in space without one landing in the docking bay of the other. It was never programmed as a requirement to do so. Will they have other ideas for them eventually? Possibly.