Year

Day

Time

22:27:16

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 17 Day 4 9:06
Darian Dash

It seems that recently we may have received another RM deposit calculation reset.
We're still trying to work out if it was before the server shift as we lost quite a few new deposits after deplete and reprospect and they happened a week before server shift,
It feels a little reminiscent of the galaxy shift which had the same effect where we could prospect previously prospected slabs (which were done at comp ops 5/max sensors) and they would turn up something on another try.

Is this something of a feature with new calculations for deposits or is it possibly a side effect again related to server shift?

It would help us in future with placement of mines if we know.
Allowing room for mines in city designs may have to be factored in.

Thanks
~Darian~

Year 17 Day 4 13:40
Kendall Holm

Should be the same unless 1. your planet moved or 2. Selatos fixed the formula.

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 17 Day 4 13:40
Kendall Holm

Should be the same unless 1. your planet moved or 2. Selatos fixed the formula.

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 17 Day 5 1:20
Everything is normal at my deposits. They are the same just as a year ago.

Year 17 Day 5 3:41
Darian Dash

It's about prospecting.
We prospected a planet a few months ago and now the same guy is reprospecting slabs that showed empty before.
We've had 3 new deposits found on them so far but also 4 mines that were depleted in those months turned up empty on reprospect.

Year 17 Day 5 4:36
4 old deposits? And prospecting guy changed comp op skill may be?

Year 17 Day 5 8:26
Unless his comp ops went down, then it wouldnt be an issue if he changed it. He would have better chances if they went up.

newcreate.php?text=Kathlen%20Stewart&name=MissBrooks.ttf&size=40&style_color=FF0000
Year 17 Day 5 9:47
Darian Dash

He's the head of our mining team and has been comp ops 5 for years.
He carries around the same prospecting kit too.
The planet is in a system we found within the last 12 months.
It was prospected 6 months ago and mines built 5 months ago.

I'll see if I can chase up our prospecting logs but I'm 99.9% sure it's caused from a change in the coding or server.

Year 17 Day 6 2:15
Memnoch

We are reprospecting our mining planets right now, same deposits with same amounts.

mystats.php?uid=c2197
Year 17 Day 6 4:46
Darian Dash

Prospect slabs you know were empty 6 or more months ago.

Year 17 Day 6 6:54
Kendall Holm

I checked the code its exactly the same. Nothing has changed. It is most likely from the use of a unreliable rand gen.

Edited By: Kendall Holm on Year 17 Day 6 7:08

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 17 Day 6 15:52
Darian Dash

Thanks for checking Kendall.

Unfortunately i don't have official logs to show it because i edited the logs to make them more readable on our forums.
I do have a list of everything that was found once the planet was complete and also a picture showing the deposits on the planet.

I'll have to wait until our prospectors go back to another planet which we do have proper prospecting logs for.

We're up to 5 new deposits discovered in the past few days , on slabs that previously turned up nothing :)

Year 17 Day 7 11:21
Selatos

My impression is that the way in which the deposits are calculated is server-specific. We use some libraries that likely have slightly different behavior between the two; the result is outside of our control, although the implementation should have originally been done differently to avoid this.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Year 17 Day 7 13:14
Darian Dash

Thanks for confirming that Sel , it's exactly what my 2ic informed me would probably of happened.
While it's helpful to find new deposits , it's unfortunate that we have to build more mines and recycle others as well as reprospecting our planets again but we understand it couldn't be helped.
It just gives people a heads up when buying mines with deposits found before the server swap.

Year 17 Day 7 14:12
Selatos

Fundamentally, the notion of a deposit reappearing in the same location forever is at odds with deposits having a size at all. I am not sure if it was merged yet, but we have already planned to limit the ability to camp a square by making all squares without discovered deposits reroll their probabilities on some year-scale time frame.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Year 17 Day 7 14:53
Darian Dash

I like the idea of a reroll on empty slabs but it's so time consuming and expensive to keep checking.
It's not easy finding people that will spend 6 months prospecting a planet without charging you very high rates.
The reroll would put the prospectors in even higher demand and push their rates up further.
They already have one of the highest paid roles with high court earning.

Are their plans to make uses of the useless RMs?
Vertex comes to mind :)

Removing deposit sizes may have an impact on being able to deplete and reprospect of useless RMs when you take the chance you'll find something useful the second time around.