Day

Time

05:16:30

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Determining the Physical Weight of Non-Human Characters
Greetings fellow sentients,

As of late I've been attempting to finalise my character's description profile, but have run into a slight snag... physical weight. Sure I could just slap a number down, but over-perfectionistic me would never be satisfied with that.

My character is a 2.24 metres (7' 4") Barabel female with a lean/muscular build. From my reasoning Barabels would be heavier set and more muscular then a human of comparable height/build. Also the thick scales and tail must be taken into consideration.

I've tried a cross-comparison of BMI charts, but most go no-where near the height I need and these never take muscle/fat percentages into account. I've found a few character resources for WoW and D&D, but I can't find a comparable species to use as a basis. Wookiepedia also doesn't tend to provide references to each races weights either, unlike heights and lifespans.

So, does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to accurately determine a believable body weight for non-human (and/or non-human-like) sentient species?

Thanks in advance.

Edited By: Azuriel Valkyr on Year 17 Day 18 7:05

1795879249047316029.png
Ethan Travis

If it is humanoid slap the weight of a human person that would be that tall and add/subtract 10-20 kg. solved ................

Edited By: Ethan Travis on Year 17 Day 18 8:09

EthanTravis
''If gods do exist, we need to start looking for ways to kill them''
Hmm... alright, by that logic...

95-110 Kg for 25 year old, 224 cm (7' 4") Human Female (BMI)
+ 25 Kg for muscle mass and thick scales
+ 10 - 15 Kg for Tail

= 130 - 150 Kg (286 - 308 lb) for Barabel Female.
+/- a few units for an organic number...

= 147 kg (324lb) for character physical weight...
Does that sound reasonable and/or logical and/or believable?

1795879249047316029.png
Ethan Travis

I dont see anything wrong in there.

EthanTravis
Venari Haliat

Edited*Ignore

Edited By: Venari Haliat on Year 17 Day 18 23:35

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet
Corpulence Index...?

1795879249047316029.png
Venari Haliat

Just realized I posted in the wrong place :).

Anyways, looks good.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet
Female lions are roughly about 280 pounds and 7 foot in length on average, including tails.

Barabels seem to be fairly tall on average while being well muscled and not lanky in appearance. I would assume that 330 to 400 pounds would be a good average for the Barabel weight range because they will most likely have higher muscle density and heavier skeletons to deal with the heavier muscle and the weight of their scales/hides. For female Barabels that is as the males will most likely be even heavier.

Might be worth looking at rpg character stuff as usually they have things like weight and height for their recess and you should be able to find one of a suitable match.

Ellias_sig6.png
The Barabel evolved from a vicious reptilian species and maintain their hunting culture. On average, they stand 2 meters tall and weigh around 130 kilograms. 

The first two lines from SWC's race description

Is there a credible canon source for that information though, because I've never found a reference to average Barabel weight other then the race page, Wookieepedia doesn't have one either to my recollection. Not sure if it is accurate or not without a credible reference, hence I haven't taken it into account.

1795879249047316029.png
This is SWC, we can have our own canon. And since its about the best you have, should work.

Ethan Travis

Also understand that now 'canon' information is very meager or non existent, so EU would be still one of the best sources.

EthanTravis
Erhh... I know... don't remind me, But as far as I'm concerned unless there is new-canon information that directly contradicts it the EU is still canon, don't care what Disney says.

Anyway, if 130 Kg is the acceptable average for the species then my educated guesstiment isn't too far off. I'll either have to tweak it a bit or put the variance down to specifics of height/build and muscle mass.

1795879249047316029.png