11:46:17

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » Prospecting clarification
Year 17 Day 43 16:10
Xanxus Drol

My understanding is that prospecting works as follows

Each character has a chance to find a deposit once no matter how many scans they attempt at the same location. Once a deposit is eventually found, mined, and depleted it is reset and Everyone can try for their 1 scan again. The type, rarity and deposit size if found is based off the comp ops skill and sensors.

Yes or no? Because I have a prospector showing me this Link and telling me that isn't true anymore but I dont take that contextually from that thread. This seems to be more like a bug/unplanned change in coding then having anything to do with the actual mechanics of how deposits are found specificly.

Year 17 Day 43 17:12
Kendall Holm

This questions is seriously getting old.

Unless Selatos changed it, it is still the same way

SWC3dsUser.png
Year 17 Day 43 17:23
Xanxus Drol

I agree but needed clarification because its not really written out in plain text. Thank you

Year 17 Day 44 9:45
Ichiru Hanabusa

its nothing to do with 1 player

there is a threshold value to find a deposit

a players comp ops skill + total sensors are used to determine a value

a level 5 player + max squad of hogs is the max score you can achieve and if the threshold is higher then at this point in time, you can not find a deposit there

the only time you might find something on a square with a different player when a previous player found nothing is thier comp ops score is higher or theres more mining sensors involved, its not a chance per player system

Year 17 Day 44 15:33
Xanxus Drol

Then why is Kendall getting pissy instead of granting the guidance I am requesting by saying the question is getting old.

I swear you people think we are Idiots. Can someone from the administration please clarify the actual case instead of misdirection and half answers. I realize coders and staff are short on time and availability but here is a good example of a way not to be helpful at all.

Year 17 Day 44 15:42
Xanxus Drol

Like I'm sorry to be rude but if what Ichiru says is true then your passively allowing me to have flawed understanding of the game when I AM HERE asking your assistance after trying to figure it out myself. So excuse me if I find it annoying because in guessing he is right as that's what everyone else is saying and that's not how I was taught that the system works.

If you don't know the answer please find me someone who does bc I asked selatos he didn't reply obviously he is busy but please do more then tell me it's how it's always been when obviously it is not.

Year 17 Day 44 18:49
I think he is getting pissy as you answered your own question with the link you posted. In that Kendall said that unless your planet moved or Sel fixed the equation (which there hasn't been any posts about so presume no) then the threshold value is the same and if you scanned with a com ops 5 with 12 groundhogs then there is nothing to find there until you improve one or the other.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 17 Day 44 21:12
Also people keep asking this same question, and he has had to fight a few people on how it works.

Year 17 Day 44 21:27
Xanxus Drol

So does that mean until the threshold of whatever slab or terrain tile is reset as selatos says is planned at some point In the future once someone with max comp ops and max sensors scans it it's done if they find nothing it's useless mining wise? How are mining factions supposed to keep finding new deposits then that can't be correct.

Can one of you guys dumb this down any simpler for me cause I must be entirely missing part of this.

Year 17 Day 44 21:57
Cedron Tryonel

So if a guy prospects a slab with comp ops 1 and finds no deposits, another guy with comp ops 2 can get a reroll? So you can prospect each city grid several times by doing that?

Year 17 Day 44 22:00
Xanxus Drol

yea but that makes no sense. if you guys dont want to fight people and have questions either update the rules or put out a sim news because to me this sounds like the end of mining factions doing public sales.

Year 17 Day 44 22:21
Technically, the way it should work is that every time you do the prospect action it runs the equation to randomly work out the chance of finding a deposit. However, the way it is currently this is based on the galactic position of the planet you are on and there is no real randomness to it.

At the moment when you prospect it runs the equation, but it has a fixed answer to it so no matter how many times you run it, it gives that same answer. Therefore, if you run with comp ops 5 and max mining sensors in your party and you find nothing, then you will never find anything until the equation is changed/fixed or you get a higher value for your run through the equation.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 17 Day 44 22:34
Xanxus Drol

So the same materials just keep coming back in the meantime by that standard? Also thank you Ellias.

Year 17 Day 45 2:24
Darian Dash

I'll try to explain it clearly and with pictures :)
Selatos can correct me if i'm wrong.

Some numbers may be a little off but you'll get the picture.
I'm not sure if terrain probability of 10% should be calculated as 10.0 or 0.1 but it doesn't matter for now.

FK-7 = 10 mining sensors (120 per squad)
SX-65 Groundhog = 40 mining sensors (480 per squad)

RULES STATE:
Chance of finding = ( 1 + Total Sensors(Comp Op/30+0.05) ) * Terrain Prob

So:
(MAXIMUM POSSIBLE) a squad of hogs and comp ops 5 on mountain terrain (10%)
Chance of finding = ( 1 + 480(5/30+0.05) ) * .10 = 10.5

(MINIMUM POSSIBLE) 1x FK-7 and comps 0 on glacier terrain (1%)
( 1 + 10(0/30+0.05) ) * .01 = 0.015

-----------------------------------------------------------------
So the possible prospecting range would be between 0.015 - 10.5
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Theoretically:
This picture represents the hidden score layer which is saved to the server.

When the first galaxy shift happened , the score layer shifted differently to the city layer (or was reset)
Also with the latest server shift , the score layer is different again.

prospe10.png

You can see that there are scores which a full prospecting kit wouldn't beat.
Some terrains like ocean and cave may not have scores you can hit with a full kit of FK-7s but you may be able to reach them by laying a slab and then using hogs.
That gets around the terrain restriction for the hogs

Likely , when all the new hyper positioning is implemented we'll suffer another shift unless it gets saved but I doubt it can be saved easily if they add new depths and dimensions.

Some of the other calculations contain a random number for the type of deposit and size so they can always be affected by updates i guess.
That could happen on our server or the server which provides the RNG.

Edited By: Darian Dash on Year 17 Day 45 2:29

Year 17 Day 45 19:25
Xanxus Drol

Thank you Darien this is the type of detailed information I was looking for

Year 17 Day 45 22:33
Also with the latest server shift , the score layer is different again. 

When was that?

Year 17 Day 45 23:10
Selatos

Darian gets it. There haven't been any changes made, apart from the RNG implementation causing all squares' status to be re-randomized back in November. Changes would be announced if made.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage
Year 17 Day 47 18:11
Darian's explanation should be added in the rules. It might keep the question from coming back again. This is the exact definition of a win-win situation.

Year 17 Day 47 18:34
Xanxus Drol

I agree it was most helpful, I do appreciate Ichiru and Ellias as well though