Year

Day

Time

18:17:24

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 17 Day 104 13:59
Tony Lake

Hullo. What with no answer on irc, I commit to starting a dreaded thread.

I would like to ask how a port facility works with watercraft.
given terrain restrictions would a port and its city have to be on a river/ocean tile for watercraft to freely access it?

I assume that a landlocked port would just be odd and watercraft could only get in via airlift.

Thanks

Year 17 Day 104 17:33
Ruben Wan

Hello,

do you understand how a starport currently works? If so, you can imagine how a port will work.

Boats, barges, submarines, and aquatic vehicles can be docked inside, you can move cargo between the port and vehicles, etc.

Of course the requirement in the future will be they must be on a water terrain. At the moment, it is not possible to have rivers or lakes or any waterscape in a different terrain type.

Ruben Wan
KuTBv1W.png

Year 17 Day 104 18:43
I thought Ports could only be built on cities on ocean (and maybe river/shallow too) terrains anyway.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 17 Day 107 6:46
Ben Camden

I don't think there is any restrictions beyond the size ones for hidden and glacier Ellias.

gold1.gifRGC-3.pnggold2.gif
Senior Governor Ben Camden
Regional Government
Year 17 Day 108 9:04
yup, just size restrictions. Can build in the desert if you want, and I have.

jesbDYa.jpg

Fights like Hurricane, Killing, Ecstasy, Insane.
Year 17 Day 108 9:41
Sticking a dock in the middle of a desert on a waterless planet. Only in the combine, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited By: Dante Erinith on Year 17 Day 108 9:41
Long way to haul your boat to go fishing.

Almost all production is about producing things for use elsewhere. It makes a kind of sense.

Edited By: Kay Dallben on Year 17 Day 108 10:20
Year 17 Day 108 10:22
It'd be common sense in any 2-bit production facility to give your goods at least a cursory test of sorts to make sure it does, in fact, operate as advised. It'd make no sense to put a Port in a desert because you'd need to move it to water in order to make sure it doesn't sink right away or some such, whereas if it's already at an ocean...

Year 17 Day 108 10:31
Since we're arguing hypotheticals... Assume the Desert Port contains a "lock" which, while a huge waste of power and resources to deal with that much water, is perfectly capable of testing for seaworthiness.

Edited By: Kay Dallben on Year 17 Day 108 10:34
Year 17 Day 108 10:49
Perhaps have a port or other water-based facility that isn't in a water square - a river, swamp(???) or ocean - cost more to build and maintain, and take up more power? Forces you to consider whether it's worth it, adds another dimension to the planning process.

Year 17 Day 110 12:52
Ruben Wan

I'd like to add that a Port cannot produce ships, only a Naval Shipyard can (unless things have changed in these years in Combine). And iirc, Shipyards do have the terrain requirement and can be built only on water squares.

Ruben Wan
KuTBv1W.png

Year 17 Day 114 14:01
Tony Lake

So.

Still no official definitive word on the point of a port.

=(

Year 17 Day 114 14:21
Well, by extrapolation:

given terrain restrictions would a port and its city have to be on a river/ocean tile for watercraft to freely access it?
- yes, and you'd only be able to cross-terrain to a tile with river/ocean as well.

I assume that a landlocked port would just be odd and watercraft could only get in via airlift.
- Yes.