242 are online

Year

Day

Time

05:52:48

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 18 Day 95 8:00
What determines when a hidden system is placed?

I was told that a system that had been searched several dozen times and found to contain nothing, was revealed to contain a system w/ one planet, just a couple of weeks after previous searches. Can this be correct?

When they will not see the light, expose them to the heat.

xtcTlR4.png

Year 18 Day 95 8:03
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

Yes. It's entirely random whether or not you'll find a system at any given location. Afaik, the formula for it is hidden. So you could go to a deep space coordinate one day and find nothing, while someone else could go to the same coordinate and find a system.

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 18 Day 95 8:03

TriNebulon News: Y18 D30 - ???
Voted worst art team member of Y19
ulrike_r
Year 18 Day 95 8:54
Er, I don't think it works like that.

Hidden systems exist in game, they just don't show up on the maps.

I don't believe they move around unless an admin moves them.

They aren't spawned randomly on system entry. (E.g. how creatures are spawned).

Maybe the system was created between the searches, or maybe it was not actually searched (even tho someone said it was).

Edited By: Clarr Solo on Year 18 Day 95 8:56

"Clarr's a big mean jerk and he steals my lunch money and makes me cry."
Year 18 Day 95 9:08
Why would anyone search the exact same coordinate "several dozen times"? That almost sounds like inside info on where the system was being placed, but they were just regularly checking back for when the galaxy team added it.

Y19.png
I'm not even force sensitive but try telling that to my three lightsabers!
Year 18 Day 95 9:13
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

You might be right, Clarr. I've just always heard that there's a randomness factor to it. I don't planet hunt so I'm not 100% on how it functions. Apologies.

Edit: I think my phrasing is also wrong here. I don't mean that it randomly gets placed when you enter any given deep space square. I mean that there's a random timer that counts down from when the system is added that then determines if the system can be found. That's always been my understanding of the system, especially considering how often this type of situation comes up (this isn't the first time someone has scanned a deep space square only to find out a few weeks later that it contained a hidden system). It only makes sense that there's some form of randomness going on if this is a somewhat common occurrence.

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 18 Day 95 9:18

ulrike_r
Year 18 Day 95 9:33
I do not believe that is correct.

The correct course of action is to wait for an asim or galaxy team director to make a comment and add/update a rules page for hidden systems (of which there are none at the moment).

"Clarr's a big mean jerk and he steals my lunch money and makes me cry."
Year 18 Day 95 9:40
Systems are either there or not. When Erek or Arjuna place them, entering the system will always find it. The only 'random' factor is when they will place it.

Year 18 Day 95 9:54
Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss

That sounds pretty random to me! Good to know, though.

Edited By: Ulrike Rayne Schultheiss on Year 18 Day 95 9:58

ulrike_r
Year 18 Day 95 19:22
how often are they added? Is one added as soon as another is found to replace it so there is always a certain number of hidden systems in game or is it entirely at their whim with no rhyme or reason to it?

Year 18 Day 96 0:51
Entirely at the admins' whim. It's primarily Arjuna these days. His activity levels vary so it's pretty random. Sometimes a bunch are added in a short span of time, otherwise a year or more might pass without any additions.

There are still plenty of systems just waiting to be found, so it's not like there's a serious lack. I doubt they'd let it hit close to zero.

swcforumsig

Year 18 Day 96 7:04
Thank you to all that replied. I guess it's back to throwing darts while blindfolded, hoping for a bullseye that may or may not be there at any given time.

xtcTlR4.png

Year 18 Day 96 10:22
Only a million coords to scan!

swcforumsig

Year 18 Day 96 11:01
Find a Friend! Then you only have 500,000 coordinates to search!

Year 18 Day 96 19:22
Like Syn said, I keep an eye on the number that are out there and when the number gets too low I add more.

There's no chance or skill check or anything, If you enter the system you find it, and it triggers the countdown timer to reveal.

When I place them, I do heavy research to determine where they should be, and drop them into a sector at co-ordinates that fit. What's happened before is that I've placed them in places that people just recently searched.

On the other side of it there is at least one system out there that was placed during the Dev meeting in 2012 that nobody has found yet.

\
Year 18 Day 97 7:23
Thank you again all.

@ Kay Dallben - It's not a solo quest, so we can cut down the number a little more, not much though O_0

@ Tomas O`Cuinn - We're trying to find something near our establishments. That is the reason for repetitive searches, that and what many have confirmed here, it doesn't hurt to check twice or a dozen times considering the randomness. Hey, we missed one by a couple of weeks :/ The system was searched in addition to several over a length of time.

Edited By: Jastan Vul on Year 18 Day 97 7:33

xtcTlR4.png

Year 18 Day 97 9:38
Carth Falte

Due to Arjuna's post I just want to do my own research in what planets/systems are already revealed, what their location is relative to the Star Wars cannon and/or legend galaxy map and see if I can't find a few plausible system locations. I hate trying to bring chance calculations to such a blind endeavor so what Arjuna just said made it more of an actual research point using both math and lore. Heheh... Large research endeavor that would probably be a waste of time better used with actual real life stuff... here I come!

ACrgui
q9aUQd
9tJQf2
Year 18 Day 97 11:29
If I was going to look for systems, and I wanted to use outside canon info, I would look up race homeworlds for races likely to be found in-game.

But I am not allowed to pick sectors for hunts anyway.