278 are online

Year

Day

Time

12:21:04

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Message CentreRPG CentreQuestion Centre
Archives » How not to die via black hole?
Year 18 Day 148 2:30
Ceela Maverick

I'm very new to SWC, and I'm a little concerned about black holes. From what I read you can't see them on the map --- is this still true as of now? If so, how can I be sure to avoid them?

Signature_zpsg4lsfulh.png

|| Imperius Unitada ober Totallex ||
{ EMPIRE UNITED OVER ALL }

Year 18 Day 148 3:16
There are select systems where blackholes appear, to be seen on the galaxymap.
Best to avoid those systems if you have no reason to visit them.

14yagk3.jpg
Buy now your Limited Edition J-Type 327!
Commerce Forum
Year 18 Day 148 3:19
Ceela Maverick

Is there a list of systems with black holes in them? Or any warning sign that I'd be going to a system that contains one?

Signature_zpsg4lsfulh.png

|| Imperius Unitada ober Totallex ||
{ EMPIRE UNITED OVER ALL }

Year 18 Day 148 3:43
Black holes show up on the galaxy map, but not their locations. For example, http://www.swcombine.com/rules/?Galaxy_Map&systemID=1465 contains black holes.

You can infer their locations from the grav well view.
Your ship will automatically route around black holes when travelling in sublight, which can reveal their locations.

"Clarr's a big mean jerk and he steals my lunch money and makes me cry."
Year 18 Day 148 8:20
Cait Catra

Yeah, if I'm correct there will be a red overlay "patch" (for lack of a better word) that represents a gravity well, like around planets and suns, on the sublight screen travel screen. There just won't be anything visible at the center.

Year 18 Day 148 18:48
As Clarr said, your ship will automatically route around them in sublight. As long as you don't specifically travel to their location (meaning, you only travel to a sublight square containing a planet or space station) you'll know that you're perfectly safe.