Year

Day

Time

18:29:46

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 18 Day 195 3:50
Greetings

I have a squad consisting of a Lost Soul and three creatures that I sent patrolling so I could level them up. They haven't moved. My rifleman squad is moving along just fine. Do creatures not patrol in squads? How do you level them. I can't see taking a Berry Monster and an Eye Snatcher bandit hunting with me.

Thank you

Alan Scott

"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
Year 18 Day 195 3:55
Squads in patrol do not move always. Sometimes they just sit there for hours, sometimes they start moving right away. It is random. If they have orders issued they will start moving again. Eventually.

Year 18 Day 195 3:59
Yeah, I knew there was a randomness to it. I just started last night. Went to bed and they really aren't doing anything this morning. I thought there might be a restriction on creatures or something.

Year 18 Day 195 4:11
There was not such restriction last time I've used it with creatures. Though, there is always possibility of bug. But one day without movement is nothing unusual, happens.

Year 18 Day 195 4:28
Thank you.

Year 18 Day 195 8:47
One last thing to add, for the reason above.
I'd recommend setting them up to the longest route possible (ie 0,0 to 21,21 and back or something similar). That way, when they do roll to begin marching, you get the most bang for your buck

vineychop.png
gslogo.png
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDVX9aVFV0x-TQkjsOUqoFtIZ0Rw9BbfXP0HAdeK8i7y0CSwCG
Year 18 Day 195 8:51
Yeah, I set up 4 waypoints scattered about at distance from each other.

They did start moving. Just in one of those long pauses.

Year 18 Day 195 10:57
You want to have the longest route possible with the fewest number of waypoints, because the waypoints is where they have a chance of stopping for several hours (reducing efficiency). People have set up "training cities" consisting of mazes of walls for this purpose, putting the number of squares they can travel at 50-something before they have to stop at a waypoint.

Year 18 Day 260 13:36
If patrolling gets canceled, do the NPCs receive the proportional XP just like the way PCs do when the walking gets aborted? Thanks.

Edited By: Ranwynhourne Charlette on Year 18 Day 260 16:50
Year 18 Day 260 21:33
Ranwynhourne, to answer your question: Yes, an NPC squad will get the exp from the distance it's traveled, at the point that it stops.

The same thing happens whey reach a waypoint. They gain the exp when they reach that point, not at each terrain spot they reach.

And that's also the way PCs gain exp, as in when we reach a hyperjump destination. If we drop out of hyper early -- not recommended, by the way -- we'd get exp for the proportion of the distance we'd just covered.

C5Lgr5m.pngWOMN3M5.jpghlx72UM.png

Year 18 Day 272 8:32
Are patrol points recurrent? That is, after arriving the last point, will the patrolling NPC stop there or start a new patrol to the first set point? Thanks.

Year 18 Day 272 16:48
They will patrol to the first point given.

For example, if you've given it the points:

(0, 0)
(21, 0)
(21, 21)
(0, 21)

The NPCs will start at (0, 0), move to (21, 0), move to (21, 21), move to (0, 21), and then will begin again, moving to (0, 0) before repeating the above.

Year 18 Day 272 19:30
Umbeck Traxer

Thanks to SYn for hunting this down. I really wish this was in the actual rules somewhere.

Syn Year 15 Day 6 21:57
Not a rules page, but there was a sync digest that explained it: http://www.swcombine.com/community/simnews/index.php?display=2&postID=22222

Sync Digest
(Posted by Zhao Yun on Year 13 Day 351 11:45)
- NPC Patrol has been re-enabled. NPCs now also have a random chance of taking a rest at each patrol point (between 30 minutes to 2 hours). NPCs will have a 50% chance of resting, and can rest again after a previous rest. This has been done for two reasons, to slow the amount of XP being gained from setting NPCs to Patrol, and also to reduce the load on the server.

edit: I completely forgot to put my actual post here.

I pasted that all because your NPCs should not be waiting a whole day. THey can't, in fact if they are actually patrolling, if they fail the 50% chance, then they at most would wait 2 hours before going again.

edit: edit: unless of course this changed again, but I can't find anything with a fast search about it. Please get this info into the rules!
I like more data in the rules, as much data as possible.

Edited By: Umbeck Traxer on Year 18 Day 272 19:34
Year 18 Day 273 10:27

I pasted that all because your NPCs should not be waiting a whole day. THey can't, in fact if they are actually patrolling, if they fail the 50% chance, then they at most would wait 2 hours before going again. 

The chance is iterative, meaning that if it fails, it can actually fail again at the end of its waiting period and make you wait another (up to) 2 hours. Bad luck could leave them waiting indefinitely.