"SWC is slow" I think? Maybe? Is it loading for you? Who knows? If you would like to help contribute here is the information you need to collect.
- You will need to be using a desktop or a laptop computer (sorry mobile users, I need information from dev console).
- You will need to be using chrome or firefox or know how to use your browsers dev console to collect "time to first byte". (Sorry IE/edge if you can work the dev console in IE/edge without my instructions go for it, but otherwise I dont know if they have dev consoles)
"Time to first byte" is the only number I care about. This is the time spent waiting between when your computer sends the request, and the SWC server sends the response. Most pages the SWC server buffers the entire page until it is ready and then sends it all at once, so time to first byte roughly is page generation time.
How to collect "time to first byte":
- Open your browsers dev console (hamburger menu -> more tools -> developer tools)
- Go to the "network" tab
- Refresh the page in question using F5 or ⌘+R
- Find the first request (it will be named the short name of the page you are loading), e.g. in my example below I have loaded the page "http://www.swcombine.com/members/index.php" and it shows up as "index.php, /members"
- Time to first byte is listed as "Waiting (TTFB)", in my example it was 321.02ms => 0.32s. This is the number I care about. Please report the number in "seconds" (1000ms = 1s)
Now, here is the information I need:
- CGT Date and time you ran the test
- Page that you were loading that you think is slow, with a URL.
e.g. "inventory events, http://www.swcombine.com/members/events/index.php?mode=perso"
- Now I need you to do 4 requests and give the TTFB for each, and do it in this order, try not to have any other tabs of swc open at the time:
- First request your "slow page", and give TTFB
- Request this page: http://www.swcombine.com/members/messages/msgframe.php?mode=send and give TTFB
- Request this page: http://www.swcombine.com/members/credits/ and give TTFB
- Request your "slow page" again, and give TTFB.
- Repeat again after 180 seconds, try not to use SWC within this 180 second period.
- Rough idea where your character is in terms of game mechanics
(e.g.: in ship room in hyperspace, or in ship room in system, or on planet surface with >100 things around)
- What country you live in.
- Y19D78 19:30
- Inventory Events, http://www.swcombine.com/members/events/index.php?mode=perso
- First Request: 19.6s
- Message page: 0.086s
- Credits page: 0.1s
- Second request: 6.2s
- Third request: 3.2s
- Message page: 0.074s
- Credits page: 0.14s
- Fourth request: 4.5s
- In ship room in space in relatively quiet system (less than 100 ships around)
"Why all this?" Your slow page is the page under test. The message page is a very fast page to render which does not render the members menu. The credits page is a very fast page to render which does render the members menu. We perform it immediately again after to see if it is consistent. We repeat after 180 seconds to let some caches expire and see if its repeatable. Country so I can estimate your ping to the servers, which are located in USA.
Some things out of scope:
- If your inventory is slow, I only care about it if there are no filters present, and only default sorting. Inventory with complicated filters can be slow. I only care about when it should not be slow, so don't report inventory pages with massive amounts of filters or sorting.
- Pages that have thousands of entities shown (e.g. cockpit scanner in busy systems), yes it will be slow, out of scope for this.
- Actions that operate on hundreds of assets (e.g. party view moving 100s of npcs), yes its slow, no not what I am asking for.
- Please disable desktop notifications before collecting the numbers (Settings, unclick all under desktop notifications)
- I consider slow to be greater than 1s TTFB. No point posting if the page isn't slow.
Now, here is the information I need:
- 2/14/18 (Y19, D79, 08:25ish)
- 15.67s TTFB
- 141.9ms TTFB
- 285.69ms TTFB
- 24.58s TTFB
- Char is sitting in orbit on a ship, ship has some NPCs on it, squadded with another ship with NPCs
- - - - - - - - -
- 24.84s TTFB
- 123.18ms TTFB
- 175.08ms TTFB
- 9.75s TTFB
- I live in USA
I've noticed the same slowness when going to cockpit sometimes, but not every time, seems to be random.
Optional second test:
- Only load the credits page http://www.swcombine.com/members/credits/ and give TTFB
- Repeat every 30 seconds for 8 runs (240 seconds) in total
If you are still encountering intermittent slowdowns please try on the settings and generate numbers per the tests above, and observe if the following behaviour is encountered:
- Uncached: if it is the menu inventory causing slowdowns, "Uncached" will cause the timings to be consistently slow.
- Disabled: if it is the menu inventory causing slowdowns, "Disabled" will cause timings to not be slow.