First post questions:
1. If you are within scanning distance, other players will show up as icons on your display, yes.
2. The Combine is delayed real time. Given that your character is always "on" in the game environment, how would you feel if you went to sleep, and woke up dead because we could fire every 15 minutes, and you'd died no more than an hour after you logged off?
3. Only Jedi and Sith can CREATE lightsabers. Anyone will be able to use one if they can get their hands on it, which isn't to say they'll be able to use them WELL. The Rules are still under discussion, but will be visible long before combat.
4. The first few XP levels should go fairly quickly once you can get aboard a ship and travel around. But each level is harder to get to, so it takes longer and longer the higher you get in level.
Second post questions:
1. Lightsaber stats are one of the things still under discussion. Expect them to do a serious amount of damage, though. Better than other non-projectile weapons, for a decently-made lightsaber. Likely each saber will be individual.
2. Combat will come out when everything leading up to combat is done. You can brawl with certain NPCs at the moment for a little XP, although it is not possible to die. There are also rules for arresting and executing characters, which can be done by certain groups under certain situation. I suggest you look up the rules for it.
____________"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."
Only fools and children dream of heroes.