Year

Day

Time

09:38:20

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Page 1 2
Year 8 Day 54 11:38
since when a freaking suggestion gets canceled because of bad taste?? cant Hal at least wait for someone else to say it? it seems Hal Breden runs the show now huh.. well thats just freaking great. He is not the game master, he only moderates the forum NOT the suggestions for the game.. does he??

I dont even need to point out which suggestion was turned down AND locked on the grounds of 'bad taste'. Does any suggestion deserves that? if so, fu swc.

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 8 Day 54 11:41

PhillipBromleySmiley1-1.png

Combat please? damit... damn it to hell !!!!!!!!

Orphaea Imperium: Looter.
Year 8 Day 54 11:44
You're talking about people going into schools and shooting them up. If that's not bad taste, I don't know what is.

Do I need to point out how inappropriate that is? Not to mention insensitive?

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 8 Day 54 11:54
how is that insensitive, it happens in our world every other week, and you may have noticed we dont even have schools in swc. It was just an example to illustrate the kind of character that would be and why they need to be arrested before they do things like that. I may have bad taste, a lot of people do. Thats not grounds for turning it down, and much less for closing a legitimate thread. You could have pointed out about your objection in particular, but the suggestion was really not about that, but you chose to dismiss it altogether. Bad call.

Year 8 Day 54 12:02
A lot of things happen in real life that we don't need in SWC.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Year 8 Day 54 12:07
dadgumit!! people entering highchools and shooting kids was not the suggestion!! haha

Having PCs on the ground doing police work was, especially in highly populated planets which are ridiculously taking care of themselves without a single PC on its ground.

Year 8 Day 54 12:45
It's titled "Whacko NPC", not "PC police". The point of the suggestion seems clear.

Year 8 Day 54 13:51
That just shows you didnt actually read the suggestion, well done.

If you had read it (and also had a single grain of good intentions, context, creativity, etc) you'd know that it also suggest ways to introduce planet maintenance, pc policemen, getting people on the ground, another varialbe to crime rates, etc... and then yes, once in a while, if aproved, the whackos would try to hit you with a stick or maybe even shoot the people in a tavern.

PS: this isnt even worth 5 minutes of my time... so just do as you please, shut down the entire forums if you want. C ya.

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 8 Day 54 13:59

Year 8 Day 54 14:51
Sylis Farani
Sylis Farani
I have seen one or two suggestions go from being closed to being accepted merely because the second suggestion was better phrased and included more appropriate detail.

I hope you don't find this offensive Pap but perhaps you can see the analogy. If some eager but less than eloquent SWCer comes along with a suggestion such as "We should be able to see if people come in our city", that would more than likely get closed pretty fast since it is lacking detail and doesn't really give much detail to the suggestion.

However another person might come along later and suggest that if a faction owns a planet and the cities within it can be assumed that they control the police force and thereby should get a report of anyone setting foot on their city, that might receive better welcome.

The reason behind the analogy is that while your suggestion may have been a good one, bringing up sensitive topics like school shootings is likely not the best way to get it discussed. I see your point also that it is something that happens very often, and I'm not one to be sensitive about such matters but imagine some parent lost a child in such a shooting and read your suggestion.

Year 8 Day 55 2:30
I saw a suggestion that talked about a NPC that randomly attacked you. That involves combat. That in and of itself would have been a reason to close the thread.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 8 Day 55 13:07
Again, that was only a side suggestion. A bonus for when combat comes, it cant be dismissed on that basis. Im rolling my eyes now.

Sylis, its not a suggestion thats set in stone. Why would I spend so much time on the whole details of a suggestion if i dont know what parts of the idea are possible are which ones are not? The purpose of ideas is to get people interested in them and make adjustments and additions, except when briickheads are leading the 'team'. I have no comment on your 'parents who lost a child in shootings' bit. Im rolling my eyes again.

Its just a game, not a militar project. Some people have to know that and learn to deal with peoples ideas, and not necesariliy the form, the presentation, or stuff like that. Its just dumb. Some people have made the forums a really sad and repressive place. But you win, ill go back to never making suggestions, thank you.

Edit: on second thought, im sure even militar projects have a less restrictive environment. I think even there they use words like enablers, and facilitators, not thickhead nazis.

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 8 Day 55 13:14

Year 8 Day 55 13:28
Rogren Delcor
Rogren Delcor
I reasonably sure they don't use "words" like enablers, and facilitators in the "militar," though I cannot be sure what that is. If its the name of rapper, then perhaps.

I have reworked your idea somewhat, with intent of increasing "taste" and feasibility, so we will have to see how that works. I hope no offense is taken.

Year 8 Day 55 14:23
Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a mainstay of Internet culture, an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." 

There is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress. 

Year 8 Day 55 14:28
Thats very creative, Hal. We now know you can find quotes for every occasion just like any of us. Just pretend I already posted my own quote that makes me the winner of the debate. ok? Ill post it if im required to.

Rogren, altough you made fun of my spelling, i somehow dont feel offended. Thats probably because I feel very confident about myself, even when i fail at giving my ideas proper spelling, structure, and format.

These are the US Army's Rules for Brainstorming, they do use the word facilitator:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/usace/rules_for_brainstorming.htm

"The key to successful brainstorming is to withhold criticism until the group has exhausted its creativity. Criticism can be very difficult to resist... "

Difficult to resist??? you dont say!!

:/

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 8 Day 55 14:29

Year 8 Day 55 14:37
Thats very creative, Hal. 

A lot more creative than calling someone a nazi for closing a thread, that's for damn sure!

Just pretend I already posted my own quote that makes me the winner of the debate. ok? Ill post it if im required to. 

Please do, I'd LOVE to see what you can come up with to try to justify calling me a nazi three times, now.

Year 8 Day 55 15:00
Wes Reed
Wes Reed
I agree with Hal. Grow up, its closed, get over it. I have had many suggestions closed in the past and didnt think much of it. Calling Hal a Nazi is totaly uncalled for. If Hal is a Nazi(acording to you) Then so are you.

Year 8 Day 55 15:02
Well, you just made it too easy when you forgot to post Godwin's Law disclaimer:

Godwin's Law does not dispute whether, in a particular instance, a reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be apt. It is precisely because such a reference or comparison may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued,[2] that overuse of the Hitler/Nazi comparison should be avoided, as it robs the valid comparisons of their impact. 

And dont try to act as if you were offended when the truth is being called one gives you some sense of pride thinking its a compliment about being quick, rigid, and resolute. Which i admit are sometimes good traits, in war for example, just not for someone who moderates implicitly creative suggestions.

Wes, who cares? im not even talking about MY suggestion, im talking about the way all suggestions are handled.

Edited By: Paparrin on Year 8 Day 55 15:03

Year 8 Day 55 15:15
You're talking about ALL suggestions? So, exactly how many suggestions - besides yours - have you seen closed because they were in bad taste?

Exactly how many times has the murder of children been brought up as something we want to bring into the game?

This, of course, from the person who is calling OTHERS Nazis.

Year 8 Day 55 15:42
I dont know how many, a lot if you consider 'bad taste' another name for 'i dont like its structure, spelling, or format, so it must be a dumb suggestion, im not going to read it trough and make up some reason for its dismisal'. I mean, are you saying this is the first time someone has complained about your criteria?

So you saw the words 'highschool' and 'shoot' in the same sentence.. bah. Does that mean parents were shocked all around the world when Darth Vader killed all the younglings in training?(elementary children, not 18yo highschool seniors, like it makes a difference anyway)... wasnt that the PG 13 movie from which this game is based on?

In any case, you were too quick on the mouse on this one, you should have waited for someone else to point that out if it was so evident, and then simply remove that idea. Or else focus on the real reason it was discarded, so think hard, i know you can do it.

Year 8 Day 55 16:38
are you saying this is the first time someone has complained about your criteria? 

Do you have examples of others?

Certainly people have complained because I have closed threads that are ON THE LIST OF RESTRICTED TOPICS. But that's their own fault for not READING THE LIST.

If I think something is a dumb suggestion, I'll go ahead and say it's a dumb suggestion in the thread. A quick perusal of the Suggestions forum should turn up more than a few of these. I mean, if that's the only reason I need to close and/or delete a topic, someone tell me now and I'll have a field day! Gods, that'll be great. Can I ban people just for being stupid, too?

I mean, seriously, do you think the Admin are so completely stupid as to assign a moderator that will close threads just because he doesn't like the idea and/or the person suggesting it?

You're so confident about yourself, you seem oblivious to when you're at fault. You're trying to psychoanalyse me, and drawing all these incredibly detailed conclusions about how I think, and you haven't gotten close to being right, yet.

Yes, I'm offended when you call me a nazi. No, I don't revel in the insults. And yes, I have filed a complaint about your abuse, like I warned you would happen if you kept it up. You are insensitive and abusive, and no matter how many insults you throw around, or fake psychiatric diagnosis you make up, it doesn't make you right.

Year 8 Day 55 17:36
Well, i dont care about this anymore. Im sorry if I lowered the quality of your day. I shouldnt have (accidentally) done that. I still dont see how I diagnosed anything, but if i asked, this conversation would never end.

Its your job to see that the suggestion forum operates smoothly. Wether the forum its just a way to elegantly put all non perfect suggestions in the can so the players can vent out their stupid ideas or a true source for new ideas, well, it just hit me I, cant really make a difference there. So see you later.

Page 1 2