Time

01:15:30

Login
snewsgnewsmessagegeneralfactioninventorycombatroom
Year 10 Day 42 5:26
Christopher Eagles
Christopher Eagles
I just a couple of questions about DCs,

1) Do you need DCs to build facilities like Power Generators and Hangars?

2) Where are DCs kept when they are being assigned to stations? On a person who walks to the facility and 'plugs' it in? Or in a remote location?

3) If 2 is on a person, If a person was executed while holding a Faction's DC who does the DC belong to if it was picked up by executioner and could they use it?

Thanks

sig-brown.png

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."

"Every town needs a hero. [walks down a street towards sunset] Every tow
Year 10 Day 42 5:38
1) No. There are certain facilities that anyone can build, faction or no (skyscrapers, power generators etc) - these facilities generally have no list of factions on them in the rules pages, although some facilities like that cannot be built at all. Then some facilities can only built by members of the relevant faction with the correct build priviliges.

2) As DCs are a no physical entity, you can do no such thing. When the faction assigns them to a facility or station they can be viewed either in the inverntory pages using the 'View Datacards' option, or actually inside the facility/station (although that last my be incorrect).

3) See above.

Ellias_sig6.png
Year 10 Day 42 7:16
Meretrix Druian
Meretrix Druian
This maybe a dumb question about datacards:

Since they can't be made, where do you find them? I thought R&D wasn't implimented yet. I saw you can copy them with datapads which also haven't been implimented. So I guess how does anyone find them or aquire them?

co'o
Year 10 Day 42 10:42
Datacards are not entities in the sense of the other entities in the game. They were assigned to factions before production was released, and those factions have the ability to assign them to shipyards, factories, etc. They are not as of now a physical item.

Year 10 Day 43 9:37
Christopher Eagles
Christopher Eagles
How come DCs haven't been made into a physical entity yet?
More so if it was made so that the Factions that have a non-physical DC to spawn 'DCs ' as a physical entity with no owner (usable by who's holding it) which has a limited number of uses so that they could be handed out as a product or stolen, it would also mean that facilities can have something to 'plug' in to them which it is possible to steal, it would be fantastic, especially if say the GA discovered a SSD in production and stole the card?

Though I guess thats a suggestion so well, how come they aren't physical to be steal-able, it would at so much more to the game, not only for pirates but for 3rd party producers who would no longer need to faction jump?

Thanks

sig-brown.png

Year 10 Day 43 11:47
And that's exactly why, Christopher.

If you know those stolen Death Star plans are on that CR-90 trying to outrun your cruiser, you still can't do anything about that. Stealing datacards is one of the plans to be included in combat.

001.jpg\"
hapan_donator.jpg\"
Patriarch of House Ismay
Year 10 Day 43 14:47
Christopher Eagles
Christopher Eagles
Ah... True enough,

Though what about a partial change in DCs, one that can't be stolen but still has a physical entity attached, sort of like a encryption that can be cracked but don't release the tools to so till combat, it would mean the trading of DCs could still happen and yes, you could steal them but they wouldn't be able to be used unless you owned them (keeping ownership means the factions still know where they are, they can't use it anyway so there isn't a point in stealing them till combat is released and the DC hacking tools released)

It would give some of the benefits I mentioned before though I'm a bit biased with this one :P

Do you think its possible?

Oh yeah, just out of curiosity is there any new in-game releases on the horizon? (I won't tell honest ;P)

sig-brown.png

Year 10 Day 43 15:15
So in other words you want it to be easier to steal stuff, and harder for factions to be able to trust the people working for them?

The idea of privileges and assigning things is to allow MORE people in a faction to be involved without risk, not for it to be easier to steal things so that leaders do everything and the average member has to just sit there because it's not worth the risk trusting them with anything.

Now, additionally, this is not a Suggestions forum. If you do go to the suggestions forum, please be sure to note the restricted topics before posting.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.
Year 10 Day 44 5:35
Meretrix Druian
Meretrix Druian
Thanks for the info on the DC's not being a physical item. If someone creates a new faction tomorrow will they spawn any DC's? I bet no.

co'o
Year 10 Day 44 5:42
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
Teyacapan Quetzalxochitl
They won't be granted any unique datacards, no.
Certain faction types get datacards appropriate to their type. Mining factions getting datacards to prospecting vehicles, for example.

Year 10 Day 44 11:09
Christopher Eagles
Christopher Eagles
1) I was meaning as a resource that is unlimited but requires thought as to how they are distributed, so only higher ups would carry a DC with 100+ uses whereas the average Grunt (like me) would carry a 1-3 use DC, I know it makes stuff easier to steal but if DCs aren't steal-able then double dealing and the likes with DCs is impossible since you can steal anything, ships whatever but you can't use them, its a bit like lock picking, what is the point if what ever is behind that locked door can't be used anyway, its similar to saying, I can break into the cockpit of a ship, but can't pilot it?

If that was allows, same with DCs then whoever is in can use it but the owner knows where it is and can hire the appropriate people to get it back though were not talking about ships, If DCs were outside the privilege it doesn't mean don't give them the 'spawned' DCs it just means give that user less uses.

It would then mean that trading services would almost never require faction jumping as you could just hand over the DC.

2) Though sticking with the privilege system can still be implemented till combat as Wilhelm said it would, all you would need to do is make it so that there is an owner but there is a device that can force an ownership change (Decrypting the DC) so that the other person can use it, then DCs can be stolen but not used without the owners consent unless the admin team is good and ready for it (by actually releasing the decrypting device *time limits could be based on ship size, from days to months, so the SSD DCs take ages to get hold of*) similar to releasing doors without the lock-picking facility till the game can handle the developments, Would also give time for Factions to prepare invasions on anyone holding there DCs.

Though I will leave this as my last post as yes it does touch on a restricted topic, I just thought my original idea could be clarified a bit, as you can see I do go on a bit ;P

Edited By: Christopher Eagles on Year 10 Day 44 11:14

sig-brown.png

Year 10 Day 44 16:43
Guest/Visitor

When a new faction is created, does it get

a) all the datacards of that faction type, or

b) a choice of datacards for that faction type, or

c) random datacards for that faction type, or

d) does it have to rent datacard uses from a similar type of faction?

Year 10 Day 44 17:35
Christopher Eagles
Christopher Eagles
From my understanding its option d) since the DCs to my understanding were handed out to the main Factions of the time as a one time deal and unless a major imbalance of power between factions occurs for whatever reason it appears no more will ever be distributed, though R&D may allow DCs to be researched independently?

sig-brown.png

Year 10 Day 45 5:47
Ralgarrch
Ralgarrch
The answers are already contained within the rules and this thread but to repeat others. A, D and E

A) New factions will only get datacards if there are some associated to that faction type, recycling factions will get the ugly datacards and recycling vehicles, mining factions the prospecting vehicle datacards etc...

D) They will not recieve any other datacards that only certain factions hold, they can only rent uses from factions that hold those other datacards.

E) Until such a time as research and development and/or transferring datacard ownership is implemented.

Ral.png
Year 10 Day 45 21:02
Guest/Visitor

When people ask questions about the Rules, it's usually because the Rules are confusing. The Rules do a poor job of differentiating which Rules are implemented and which Rules are merely fanciful plans.

For example, the Rules refer to the copying of datacards and the stealing of datacards. In practice, neither of those is a possibility yet. There are many confusing Rules like that.

That's why some of us read the Rules about datacards but still have to ask what the Rule really is.

Year 10 Day 45 21:05
That's why the Rules Updates forum exists, where players can offer revisions to rules pages to clarify them.

swcforumsig

Year 10 Day 45 21:10
Guest/Visitor

Then every time one reads a Rule he has to go research the Rules Update forum to discover if the Rule is actually true?

Year 10 Day 46 0:16
No, Syn means that if you find a problem with a rule, or a particular set of phrasing, then you go to the Rules Update forum to get someone to correct it, so that the next person doesn't have the same problem.

"May the Grace of Ara go with you, and His Vengeance be wrought upon your enemies."

Only fools and children dream of heroes.